Gold
Apr 11, 2004
images

Playa Caleton......................

Yolatengo

Apr 15, 2020
images

Playa Caleton......................
I couldn't agree more! It's perfect for families with kids.
It's a very sheltered, calm bay and it's very shallow at the beach, with a slow drop off. Perfect for the little ones to wade in.
Trees come down close to the water's edge, so parents can sit in the shade while keeping keep a close eye on the kids.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I can’t stand crowds so I wouldn’t recommend very many on a busy weekend. Trash & noise are not for me.

North coast- Caleton. But it’s very small and I wouldn’t go later afternoon on a weekend. Or go early to get a good spot. Bring change to pay for the bathroom. 10 pesos per visit. There were about 30 buses parked on the road alone this past Sunday at 2pm when I passed by, so I can’t imagine Semana Santa.

Any around Sosua and Cabarete have big waves. Depending on the day and size of the child, the waves can just be too much. I’m curious about Playa Magante- never been. Playa Grande is huge, but the waves can be huge as well.

All beaches I’ve visited in Las Terrenas are ideal, except the one at El Valle- it has bigger waves. Playa Las Ballenas, Playa Bonita, parts of Playa Popy are all calm, mostly shallower, and ideal for smaller kids.
Las Galeras beaches are calmer as well.

South Coast- Playa Juan Dolio proper is okay, but for a calmer area, see if Cafe Del Sol is still open. The beach there has very shallow water with a gradual decline and nearly no waves so it’s very safe even for toddlers to splash. It doesn’t get deep fast either.
Boca Chica is nice and shallow too for smaller kids but I prefer to have a free spot in the sand and shade as opposed to a $200 pesos plastic table under an umbrella next to screaming, vaping people, discarded styrofoam, and diapers.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Playa Caleton on a week day is perfect, totally tranquil. But NEVER go on a weekend. See Tony for a set up in the shade and good fresh fish or lobster...............

Reactions: Auryn and JD Jones

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Anywhere in the Dominican Republic is good.
Suggestions please.
Thank you in advance.
Since ChatGPT is my friend instead of Google :cool:

The Dominican Republic is known for its beautiful beaches, some of which are very child-friendly. Here are some of the best child-friendly beaches in the Dominican Republic:

1. Bavaro Beach: Located in Punta Cana, Bavaro Beach is a long stretch of white sand and crystal-clear waters that is perfect for kids. The beach has a shallow and calm shoreline that is safe for children to play in.
  2. Macao Beach: Another beach in Punta Cana, Macao Beach is a great spot for families with children. The waves are gentle, and there are plenty of activities such as surfing and boogie boarding.
  3. Juanillo Beach: Located in Cap Cana, Juanillo Beach is a secluded and pristine beach that is ideal for families. The waters are calm and shallow, making it perfect for children to swim and play.
  4. Playa Dorada: This beach is located in Puerto Plata and is a popular destination for families with children. The beach is calm and the water is shallow, making it perfect for children to swim in. There are also plenty of restaurants and shops nearby.
  5. Playa Grande: This beach is located in Rio San Juan and is a great spot for families with children. The beach has calm waters and a shallow shoreline, making it safe for children to play. There are also plenty of activities such as kayaking and snorkeling.
Remember to always supervise your children when they are in the water, and follow any safety guidelines or warnings posted at the beach.

• Love

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
IMO Macao Beach would not be a good fit for children, it is pretty rough anytime I have been there. Bavaro Beach would be my preference, but it can be crowded.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I challenge #5
Same. Big waves and a relatively steep drop off in most places.

There’s an amazing story of a ship wreck at Grande so my kids like it for that aspect. They’re too little to dive it but one day. For swimming Grande not so much until they’re older.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Playa Caleton on a week day is perfect, totally tranquil. But NEVER go on a weekend. See Tony for a set up in the shade and good fresh fish or lobster...............
I have only driven past but I can’t imagine.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Same. Big waves and a relatively steep drop off in most places.

There’s an amazing story of a ship wreck at Grande so my kids like it for that aspect. They’re too little to dive it but one day. For swimming Grande not so much until they’re older.
Shipwreck is around the corner - east

Someone posted about year a few years ago
A snorkeler

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
North coast..... Diamante, Caleton..... shallow, cove, no waves
Any recommendations for Diamanté? I think I’ve seen the sign. I’m thinking about going early next week, early afternoon. Small kids, 3-4 adults.