Looming water problem

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Open hijacking? Don't think so. The thread is about the future of Dominican tourism. One of several factors that will influence that future are the environmental conditions, including water supply and quality -- which, as the World Bank indicates (if you bothered to read above) is a particular concern for the build-up on the SE.

Some people don't like to hear about challenges and problems, and how to address them honestly, and would rather hear only the tourism and investor PR and hype.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Keith R said:
Open hijacking? Don't think so. The thread is about the future of Dominican tourism. One of several factors that will influence that future are the environmental conditions, including water supply and quality -- which, as the World Bank indicates (if you bothered to read above) is a particular concern for the build-up on the SE.

Some people don't like to hear about challenges and problems, and how to address them honestly, and would rather hear only the tourism and investor PR and hype.

That is where you are dead wrong. I'm happy to inform you these concerns have been identified long ago and measures are taking place in Punta Cana, and ironically it has been the hotels that have raised these concerns.

Problem is who will pay for an aquaduct, trash collection and disposal etc. Government has been slow to any investments in an area they insist should be covered by the private sector.

Plenty of investors in the area are very concerned with enviromental issues and are being pro-active about them. Look no further than Punta Cana Beach resort, which have planted their golf course with grass that can be watered with sea water among many other things that are not (imo) the topic of this thread.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Keith you have somewhat of a point. However, the thread is more about whose investing what and where etc.-NOT an enviromental thread, really.
I sent you a PM before, in which I let you know I will repond to your latest posts, if you split the thread.

PS. If I recall correctly, you closed/locked a recent thread in your forum, and erased about half of the post, citing the thread going off topic. It being hijacked by NALs ramblings you said, eventhough NALs erased posts, it is my humble opinion, examined the issues you raised in the thread.

P.S. My response would be along the line of that of Narcosis, with cited evidences.
To add to Narcosis comment: If DR's SECTUR were half as effective or efficient as Mexicos FONATUR, those issues would have been resolved long ago. If SECTUR were to benchmark or model itself after Mexico's FONATUR, all tourism pole would be much more advanced in their development If SECTUR were to benchmark or model itself after Mexico's FONATUR, Punta Cana would be what I see it been a decade from now.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Narcosis, wasn't refering to you in particular when I said some people only want to talk hype.

What I was saying is that I thought there needed to be some balance to the "sky's the limit" tone this thread had. Sorry to have rained on the parade. Guess I should let the hypsters say whatever they want.

I know the issues have been identified, and in many cases have been dealt with by the private sector parties involved. But not all issues, not all developments. And identifying the issues and resolving them are not the same thing. As the World Bank says (see post #57 above),

2.23 Tourism policies do not take into account water quantity constraints. Current tourism policy is largely geared towards increasing the number of tourists, without taking into account the carrying capacity of the natural resource base. The case of the Bavaro-Punta Cana area, where tourism planning has not taken into account the availability of water resources, is a case in point. In the 1980s, INDRHI estimated water availability in the East to serve a maximum of 20,000 rooms, but the planned new developments will largely overcome the initial estimates.

It's an infrastructure planning issue as much as anything else. And it seems to me right now, there's plenty of talk about rapid build-up but not enough talk about how to support that build-up in the long run.

I know quite a bit about the good works of PCBR -- in fact, we're slated to do a blog on it. And about CAST, on whose board Raneiri serves. And about any other pro-active tourism industry development positive for the environment, for that matter. [We've already done blogs on Green Globe and Blue Flag, for example.] Check the thread in this Forum on reefs and diving, where I clearly say we want to discuss the positive things dive services and others are already doing. And check my remarks in other threads about the hotels often doing the most to keep the beaches clean.

I'm not anti-tourism, I'm not anti-Punta Cana, not anti-hotels, if that's what you think. I just tried to raise the water supply issue as a possible restraint on growth, and in response it was said and implied -- repeatedly -- that I was inventing or "over-dramatizing" the issue, "crying wolf." I had to respond. The issue is real and won't go away. If you want to discuss the growth potential of the region covered by this thread, you should discuss the infrastructure challenges it faces too, and not in the superficial manner it was being discussed early on in this thread.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
aegap said:
Keith you have somewhat of a point. However, the thread is more about whose investing what and where etc.-NOT an enviromental thread, really.

It's interesting how many people try to separate tourism investment from the environment, as if one does not affect the other. They do. Get over it.

As I explained in my response to Narcosis, this is nearly as much an infrastructure planning issue as anything else. If we're talking investment potential, why is it off-topic to discuss possible infrastructure limits to such growth? Not convenient to address?

I sent you a PM before, in which let you know I will repond to your latest posts, if you split the thread.

Aegap, as I explained to you in the response PM (which you clearly ignored) sent alomost immediately after you PMed me, I am not the moderator of this forum and cannot do anything in it like split it. I told you to talk to the moderator, CrissColon.

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
I hadn't noticed your PMed reply...will ask CC now. Thank you for sending it. ;):)

CC is a very sensible guy whom I respect. I wasn't afraid to request it from you, so why should I be afraid to ask him?

I am not implying the environment shouldn't be discussed. In fact, I have been very willing to do so myself, I am simply telling you it is not what this thread is about.
i.e. If you start a thread about the environmental sustainability of the Dominican Tourism Industry, I don't think it would be appropriate of me to comment about all the investment been done like you have done about the environment in this thread.

If you wanted to discuss the "looming water problem" in Punta Cana, you should've simply started a new thread. Your blog is very popular, why didn't you do so in that forum. I am sure all interested, like myself, would have read it.

We are going off topic again. Let me just say that...you win again!

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Boy, you sure like to amend and re-amend and amend yet again your posts, don't you?

aegap said:
II am not implying the environment shouldn't be discussed. In fact, I have been very willing to do so myself, I am simply telling you it is not what this thread is about.
i.e. If you start a thread about the environmental sustainability of the Dominican Tourism Industry, I don't think it would be appropriate of me to comment about all the investment been done like you have done about the environment in this thread.

If you wanted to discuss the "looming water problem" in Punta Cana, you should've simply started a new thread. Your blog is very popular, why didn't you do so in that forum. I am sure all interested, like myself, would have read it.

We are going off topic again. Let me just say that...you win again!
Oh I get it! We're ONLY talking about growth, not about anything that might affect it! That has to be done in an entirely separate thread, so it can be ignored.

Glad you straigthened me out.:tired:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
icon10.gif
.....:cheeky: