Los Puentes guagua

MisterDom

Dec 11, 2022
USA
Does anyone know where in los puentes you can catch a guagua to Las Terrenas? Also, are the guaguas in this area pickup trucks (or, more specifically, kei trucks)? I was at the place that supposedly was the pickup point, a truck honked its horn and 3 people hopped in the bed of it. I saw a bunch of guaguas drive past the location without stopping. I'm totally confused, in other cities I'd just go to wherever the stop was, the guagua would stop, and I'd hop in. Kinda frustrated tbh, los puentes is beautiful but everyone stares at us when we're in the downtown area. I'd really like to rent a motorbike so we have a bit of freedom.

MisterDom

Dec 11, 2022
USA
Pickup trucks as guaguas? Never heard of that one before. I guess it's a campesino thing(?).
I hope that's not the case but honestly I could deal with that. I just want to know how to get back to Las Terrenas without riding a motoconcho or paying $20 for a 4 mile taxi ride

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I hope that's not the case but honestly I could deal with that. I just want to know how to get back to Las Terrenas without riding a motoconcho or paying $20 for a 4 mile taxi ride
I thought there was a guagua between Sanchez and Las Terrenas(?). In general, a guagua will stop anywhere along their route to pick you up. If they don't stop, that means they're full.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Pickup trucks as guaguas? Never heard of that one before. I guess it's a campesino thing(?).
I rode in the box of a truck from Samana to Las Galeras and we stopped to pick up several passengers, including a guy with a single chicken. Its legs were tied.

But that was 10 years ago and I’m not sure if it functioned as a guagua.

Reactions: MisterDom and cavok

MisterDom

Dec 11, 2022
USA
I thought there was a guagua between Sanchez and Las Terrenas(?). In general, a guagua will stop anywhere along their route to pick you up. If they don't stop, that means they're full.
You were 100% correct and this solved our confusion. For some reason I thought we could only catch a guagua at a set location. The Sanchez guagua, I believe, is scheduled to run every 30 minutes but in reality it's more like once every 45-60 minutes. Anyhow, we figured it out. I also ended up just renting a pasola which worked surprisingly well for getting up and down the mountain. Travel stress with a couple unexpected dashes of culture shock brought out some stupidity on my part. Anyhow, thanks for your response, this was an absolute lifesaver.

Reactions: cavok