Lost property title

Gregor

Jul 27, 2018
Purchased a property in Juan Dolio back in 2009. I want to put the property up for sale, but can not find the title. I do have the contract, taxes paid and request for the title certified at closing. I am wondering what I would have to do to get a copy of my properties title. I live in the US and before I make a trip back to the DR to resolve this, I would like to see what I need to do first. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Surely you used a lawyer. Asking them would be the first step.. There is the Registro de Titulos in every province where you can get a new copy.

Reactions: Gregor

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Surely you used a lawyer. Asking them would be the first step.. There is the Registro de Titulos in every province where you can get a new copy.
Bob, is there then a process of notary etc, etc, that you know of? Sounds too easy. lol

Gregor

Jul 27, 2018
Yes, I did use a lawyer but the contact information is no longer up to date. I am going to look into contacting the title office. Would you happen to know if I would have too get this done in person

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Years ago when I bought a home in Santiago, the lawyer I used gave me all the documents along with the title and told me that If I lose the title document that it would cost about 100000 pesos to replace. So there is a process but I don't know what it is.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Years ago when I bought a home in Santiago, the lawyer I used gave me all the documents along with the title and told me that If I lose the title document that it would cost about 100000 pesos to replace. So there is a process but I don't know what it is.
not true at all.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Since so many years have passed, my only advice is to bring a copy of both your old passport and new passport, since most likely you have a new one by now.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Purchased a property in Juan Dolio back in 2009. I want to put the property up for sale, but can not find the title. I do have the contract, taxes paid and request for the title certified at closing. I am wondering what I would have to do to get a copy of my properties title. I live in the US and before I make a trip back to the DR to resolve this, I would like to see what I need to do first. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Here you go, these are the instructions from Registro Immobiliario on how to request a duplicate of your title certificate:

I think this can all be done remotely but I think - from skim reading - that you will need to make a statutory declaration to get the ball rolling so it may be easier to instruct a lawyer to do this for you.

I called them recently and found them to be very helpful over the phone, (obviously you need to speak Spanish though).

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Here you go, these are the instructions from Registro Immobiliario on how to request a duplicate of your title certificate:

I think this can all be done remotely but I think - from skim reading - that you will need to make a statutory declaration to get the ball rolling so it may be easier to instruct a lawyer to do this for you.

I called them recently and found them to be very helpful over the phone, (obviously you need to speak Spanish though).
Did they say anything about the 100K? :rolleyes:

Gregor

Jul 27, 2018

Thank you so much. I will have my wife look it over when she comes home from work since I can not figure out how to translate this file. We now have the builder of our house looking into it, so I am starting to feel a little relieved. When we figure this out and get a copy of our title, I will post it.