Lots of Negatives

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Come on people. This thread is not about trash, it is not about Panama, it is about whether those of you who actually live here feel they want to stay, or wish they could leave.

It's not a DR bashing/negative thread!

My "closed" finger is itching.......

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
well, actually, the trash is the one thing that does make me want leave sometimes. I hate walking through it. But I understand the subtle point and will stop my bashing. I am the one who brought up the trash and now we have trashed it.

As I said. I am staying because I simply cannot figure out where to go.

And I just moved. And I have a five year lease. And a good library.

And have yet to meet DV8.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Trust me, Panama is a lot cleaner than the DR. Who would you believe, a down to earth German who has lived there 12 years or a $30.000 watch wearing world travelling mack daddy BK hamburger flipper from Chi town? ;)

Good point. Germans shouldn't be trusted.

Lol.

Seriously (and to get back to the OP), I fully agree with Dolores. The notions of "paradise" and "home" are entirely subjective and ever-changing. Yes, the DR has more than it's fair share of issues, but there's a lot of upside as well.

I suspect many of those who feel "trapped" are limited-income pensioners who recognize there is no way to replicate the lifestyle they enjoy in DR back in their home countries. Assuming that's true, I'd count my blessings. I've visited folks in state-subsidized senior housing. Unless you are a veteran, you're likely far better off in DR.

Other than that, you can always do something about the trash. Here in Atlanta, my firm is responsible for cleaning up the trash at an off-ramp near the office. We volunteer, because we care about the neighborhood. Other folks do the "adopt-a-highway" thing as well.

Because, we have tons of trash in the U.S. as well. Go figure.

My point is, if you have the means to maintain a home and submit posts on DR1 in the middle of the day, it probably isn't all that bad for you. Enjoy the clean(er) air, the fantastic scenery (both landscape and the two-legged variety), the music, the kids, and all the other stuff that makes DR a great place to visit and/or live.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
life is always better when you have money, no doubt.

i think that part of the reason DR has no appeal to me it that the view on what is "comfortable living" becomes twisted.
a maid? thanks, i can do my own cleaning. just give me cheap flights to travel out of DR for a change of environment.
a car? hardly a good deal at dominican prices and i'd be happy with no car at all but a functioning, good transport system.
a big house? yeah, it's nice. it has bars in windows. and the alarm system. and two badass dogs outside. i'm only short of a shotgun here.

i guess that in time the positive attitude starts to wear out at the edges. one starts to see that despite being in a privileged position (job, money, car, house) there is always a thorn in the side that keeps bothering and bothering.

and thanks, MA, for thinking i'm a small highlight here :)

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
The D.R. was the first Caribbean country I visited and I ended up staying, off and on, for a little over a year. My friends here were all determined that I should stay here for the rest of my life, buy their houses, marry their nieces etc. This has had a little to do with the fact that I work remotely and have a good income stream but it's hard for me to feel secure enough in the D.R. to make it a permanent second home. I've seen a few foreigners crash and burn when their money ran out. The next country I want to check out is Chile. Can't quit the D.R. entirely though as one of my clients wants me to build a call center here.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
My decision to move back to the states was based on my experiences while living there. In no way, does this mean that I will not be returning to the DR. I have relatives, especially my father whom I plan to visit often. I enjoy the times spent with my relatives and the beautiful beaches, the natural wonders, among other attractions the DR has to offer. But as far as living there, it's not for me. I'll in no way, discourage others from wanting to move there, some people can adjust to the culture, others simply cannot, I tried. :)

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "TRASH" everywhere would never be a reason for me to leave.
I LIKE it!
In the USA, I recycle,"Go Green" when I can,throw everything in the proper receptacle,return soft drink cans & bottles, it's a pain in the A$$, but I DO IT!
Here, I just toss everything in the street!
At first I felt bad, but now I, like all the DOMINICANOS, just do it by reflex!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
My decision to move back to the states was based on my experiences while living there. In no way, does this mean that I will not be returning to the DR. I have relatives, especially my father whom I plan to visit often. I enjoy the times spent with my relatives and the beautiful beaches, the natural wonders, among other attractions the DR has to offer. But as far as living there, it's not for me. I'll in no way, discourage others from wanting to move there, some people can adjust to the culture, others simply cannot, I tried. :)

Were you raised in the DR or the US ?
I am surprised that you would have a hard time adjusting.

American Gallego

Feb 21, 2013
Nope! It's not!

Garbage happens! Learn to live with it just like Parisians do and Italians have learned to do...

The glitz of the city or the culture/refinement has zilch to do with garbage problems like the ones faced by the DR. We have people living in green areas and river/creek's banks. We have a lack of private/public refuse companies to deal with the pick-up. We have a many, many problems. But in spite of it all, we care more than you care to know.

I be honest I don't think Dominicans care that much. I was driving last year around Boca Chica and the car in front of me just unloaded a ton of garbage right out of the window, and it wasn't a little bit but alot mostly fast food crap. Living in NYC I've seen stuff like this but it's mostly a wrapper here a coffee cup there, but no where near the extent of whats happening in DR. Having regular garbage cleanups would help, but changing the culture of throwing crap out the window, or anywhere in general is far more important in my opinion.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans hardly ever clean up their garbage, they just push it around, mostly "Down Hill"!
I As I first drove around SD, I would see the ladies of the house, out in the street in front of their houses,pushing the garbage, "Down Hill"!
Then the lady next door would just do the same thing, over & over until a huge pile was accumulated at the bottom.
It would sit there, growing larger, and LARGER,until it rained, and the "Problem" just disappeared!
I bought a house at the "TOP" of the hill!
Plumbers are RIGHT!
They have a "Saying" in that trade, "$HIT, Flows DOWNHILL"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
Dominicans hardly ever clean up their garbage, they just push it around, mostly "Down Hill"!
I As I first drove around SD, I would see the ladies of the house, out in the street in front of their houses,pushing the garbage, "Down Hill"!
Then the lady next door would just do the same thing, over & over until a huge pile was accumulated at the bottom.
It would sit there, growing larger, and LARGER,until it rained, and the "Problem" just disappeared!
I bought a house at the "TOP" of the hill!
Plumbers are RIGHT!
They have a "Saying" in that trade, "$HIT, Flows DOWNHILL"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Now if Christopher Colon published a book ! That would be a good read, The life and times of CC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I am just waiting for the "Statute Of Limitations" to expire.
Problem with that "strategy" is that I keep adding new "Crimes" that I must wait to "Run Out"!
Maybe "Posthumously" is the way to go?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC