Mailing Letter - Debit Card

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Same here. I would NEVER travel to or live in any foreign country without at least three methods of accessing mi dinero. I can't count the number of friends that I have loaned money to because their one and only card was lost,stolen or blocked by the banks. What truly amazes me is the number of people that have had it happen to them more than once and still only have one card. Maybe I need smarter friends LOL.
So how do you get 2 cards from the same bank? I only have 1 USA and work bank account. I have my bank card and my PayPal card.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Ok. So if I send the debit card to a friend in USA. They can send it here to my apartment in DR via DHL or UPS without issues? I know it's the most expensive way but will that work?
Please let us know what works out, many different options here.

Reactions: Jan

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
So how do you get 2 cards from the same bank? I only have 1 USA and work bank account. I have my bank card and my PayPal card.
Mutual account, yourself and a trusted family member or friend. Always use the card with your name on it as the banks here will not return a card that has another name in case a atm eats your card.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
As a last resort, you can always go online and link your account with Western Union and send yourself some money. I only paid $10.99 to send $900 USD and $13.99 to send $1500 USD.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Mutual account, yourself and a trusted family member or friend. Always use the card with your name on it as the banks here will not return a card that has another name in case a atm eats your card.
But both cards would expire at the same time. So I would still have the same problem I have now. My old card really isn't expired. This came as a surprise. My bank, Mars National, was acquired by another bank, Nexteir. So they changed the cards. But I can still transfer to Paypal.

I haven't used an ATM in probably 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: XTraveller

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
But both cards would expire at the same time. So I would still have the same problem I have now. My old card really isn't expired. This came as a surprise. My bank, Mars National, was acquired by another bank, Nexteir. So they changed the cards. But I can still transfer to Paypal.

I haven't used an ATM in probably 4 or 5 years.
Originally open mutual account both card same date. After 1 year family member call bank and told his card defective bank sent new card, now cards different date. Not all banks the same must try to know.

and yes here need plan A, Plan B and plan C because banking not friendly.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Originally open mutual account both card same date. After 1 year family member call bank and told his card defective bank sent new card, now cards different date. Not all banks the same must try to know.

and yes here need plan A, Plan B and plan C because banking not friendly.
Don't you need to be in USA to open an account at a bank? I don't have any close family member. I got everything taken care of. Just need to get my new card here.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I wish I had that much money to transfer. I just use my PayPal account debit card until I get the one from the bank.
You don't have to transfer that much. You could transfer $100 USD or less if you want. Not sure what the fee would be for an amount that small, but no more than $10.99 - probably less(?). We're talking about an emergency here if you lose your card, so the fee isn't that important.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Don't you need to be in USA to open an account at a bank? I don't have any close family member. I got everything taken care of. Just need to get my new card here.
Yes, only was a suggestion without knowing all of your details. Ok let us know how it goes.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
For me, got my normal debit card I use for cash anywhere in the world and 2 separate credit cards from same bank and same credit line. The second CC I hardly use, like never, but it’s there in case something happen to the first one.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I have three accounts with the same bank. Easily move money from one account to the other,I keep two accounts locked as I don't regularly use them but can unlock them with my phone whenever I need to.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Remember this isn't about bank accounts or how many credit cards one has. It's about sending a debit card from USA to DR. I don't have credit cards. I don't have multiple bank accounts. I just need to get my new debit card here. I'll let all know how sending it here works out after I read all the suggestions I will have it sent to a friend and have them send it via DHL or UPS. I'll let you know.

Reactions: SKY and colmcb

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
If you can wait 3-6 wks try EPS. Sign up for a free account at their location of your choice. They will give you a Miami mailing address that you then give your bank for mailing the card. The Miami address will have your name PLUS an identifying number that starts with a letter usually. It’s NOT a PO Box. Have your bank include this ID #. When it arrives in Miami, EPS flies it here and you go get it at the location you chose and pay around 50 pesos for this service. It takes 3-6 wks to arrive.
I been using BMCargo but they been changing rules, not mailing cards now, so I spoke with EPS recently about mailing plastic. No problem they said.

Reactions: La Profe_1

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
If you can wait 3-6 wks try EPS. Sign up for a free account at their location of your choice. They will give you a Miami mailing address that you then give your bank for mailing the card. The Miami address will have your name PLUS an identifying number that starts with a letter usually. It’s NOT a PO Box. Have your bank include this ID #. When it arrives in Miami, EPS flies it here and you go get it at the location you chose and pay around 50 pesos for this service. It takes 3-6 wks to arrive.
I been using BMCargo but they been changing rules, not mailing cards now, so I spoke with EPS recently about mailing plastic. No problem they said.
Domex said they accepted cards but 2 tries and still no card. I'm going with DHL or UPS. The 3rd time is the charm?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Update. The second card mailed directly toy Domex address was returned to the bank. Account unknown. I had already changed my address at the bank to a friend's house. They sent the card to her. She mailed it FedEx with tracking. 3 days later I have the card delivered to my apartment. All is good for 4 years until it expires and the process starts again.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Update. The second card mailed directly toy Domex address was returned to the bank. Account unknown. I had already changed my address at the bank to a friend's house. They sent the card to her. She mailed it FedEx with tracking. 3 days later I have the card delivered to my apartment. All is good for 4 years until it expires and the process starts again.
Glad it worked out for you, Jan, as frustrating as it had to be. I would really look into getting a second or third card. You have time, but emergecies do crop up.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Glad it worked out for you, Jan, as frustrating as it had to be. I would really look into getting a second or third card. You have time, but emergecies do crop up.
I do have a PayPal debit card. That's how I got money out of the bank during this issue. Transfered from bank to Paypal. I don't have any credit cards. I did check out the PayPal credit card but just not sure.

Reactions: NanSanPedro