Major Fraud Alert!!!!!!!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Only if they'd also had the matching billing address and (recently in most cases) the (printed only) CV code on the back of your card. On the other hand, they wouldn't even need to scan the card... the numbers and exp. date and name(s) would be sufficient... most of which can be found on a credit card statement (except for the CV code) which many carelessly throw in the garbage!!
Short, not likely.

Again... the pin is not on your card.

The finger print theory could be viable though... but it's an easy one to blur once you know it... dial all numbers first before starting the transaction.

... J-D.

Mine is a debit card from my UK bank, there are no printed statements as it is all dealt with online - the only billing address, to which I do not receive printed statements, is in Devon, England. We don't believe we were careless, just unlucky in this instance and, as I mentioned earlier, this happened the same week in my home town in England but to far more people.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Mine is a debit card from my UK bank, there are no printed statements as it is all dealt with online - the only billing address, to which I do not receive printed statements, is in Devon, England. We don't believe we were careless, just unlucky in this instance and, as I mentioned earlier, this happened the same week in my home town in England but to far more people.

You asked if you had to fear that it could be used for online purchases.
I answered in a more general way, not intending to make you feel that I thought you were careless.

... J-D.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Did both your attempts to draw money prove successful? Ours didn't but we used the same card minutes later at another ATM in Cabarete and got our pesos. However, subsequently we only had money stolen via ATM transactions as, as they did not have the physical card, they were unable to make purchases in stores but presumably, in your case, they could make purchases on line????
I was successful in getting my pesos in both transactions. Regarding the purchases, the lady at my bank speculates that they made a clone of my card because the purchases were actually at stores that indicated the presence of a card.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
There have been threads on DR1 for years about this. There have been reports in the Dominican press. Likewise there have been newspaper reports in every country in the world where this also happens. Plus on the web there are numerous articles about the different types of ATM frauds: skimming, shoulder surfing and card trapping. I really find it hard to believe that people don't know about this.
You are so right, some people are unbelievably stupid.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
There have been threads on DR1 for years about this. There have been reports in the Dominican press. Likewise there have been newspaper reports in every country in the world where this also happens. Plus on the web there are numerous articles about the different types of ATM frauds: skimming, shoulder surfing and card trapping. I really find it hard to believe that people don't know about this.

Hate to say it because I am guilty too but think it is a bit of the "it won't ever happen to me" syndrome.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Tom That really does suck. This is one of the reasons that in this day and age I have never had and never will have an atm card. Pat thought I was nuts when we first met because i was not going to cash machines to get funds. Well i convinced her to get rid of hers and we have managed to survive quite well for over 10 years and travels all over the world with out an ATM card.

Bob K

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Well I am one of the 'stupid' ones who had never heard of this kind of thing until my last visit to the DR in June when it happened to me in Las Terrenas (yes, this is not confined to the urban centers). You can cover one hand over the other and be as careful a watchout you can, but if someone slips something in the ATM card receptacle that can copy your card AND read your PIN, we are left with trying to detect the inserted object by feeling the receptacle before making all of our transactions. What a pain! And, I hate the idea of keeping cash or traveler's checks! What the heck can I do?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You are so right, some people are unbelievably stupid.

Thanks for the good laugh! This is almost like English humor mixed with a little American spice! I love it!

Sorry about the mess up with the ATM card. On principle, we've only used those as a very last resort and probably not once in the last 3 years or so. It felt too much like flirting with trouble.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You can cover one hand over the other and be as careful a watchout you can, but if someone slips something in the ATM card receptacle that can copy your card AND read your PIN, we are left with trying to detect the inserted object by feeling the receptacle before making all of our transactions. What a pain! And, I hate the idea of keeping cash or traveler's checks! What the heck can I do?
I checked your profile RonS but was unable to determine your Y.o.B (probably intentional by you) but if you are anything in excess of 40 years old - do what we always used to do before ATM's came around. Go into the bank with a personal cheque, passport & other identification details & get cash from that (or via your credit card). It will mean a wait in line with many other bank clients & an ability to chat in Spanish should you be in an area where the bank doesn't have an English speaking teller/manager etc., but it CAN be done.

If you want to use modern technology you have to be prepared for modern day risks ............... & be AHEAD of them by checking & being AWARE!! ~ Grahame.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Use a "travel" checking account

Open an additional checking account. Deposit enough "just in case" funds before you travel. Use only that debit card for withdrawals from ATMs and other debit card purchases-restaurants, gifts, etc.

With many hotels offering free wifi service, you can transfer funds from your primary account into the "travel" account as needed, using online banking.

This would minimize financial loss should you be the victim of debit card fraud, lose your wallet or what have you.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Open an additional checking account. Deposit enough "just in case" funds before you travel. Use only that debit card for withdrawals from ATMs and other debit card purchases-restaurants, gifts, etc.

With many hotels offering free wifi service, you can transfer funds from your primary account into the "travel" account as needed, using online banking.

This would minimize financial loss should you be the victim of debit card fraud, lose your wallet or what have you.

No offence meant but hang on a minute - some of us live here full time as we are a little further away from our home country than you are.... we need to combat the bad things but also appreciate the very good things of which there are many. All I was trying to tell Camden Tom after his initial post is that a similar thing happened to me last November - big deal or what??

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
I'm sorry that had to happen to you, Tom, but I'm glad you brought the issue to light again. I've always heard about the scams with people setting up ATMs to retain your cards, but I've never heard about these scanning devices that copy your card. I guess I'm a bit naive, but I've just never come across articles describing this type of problem.

The whole time I lived in the DR, I used ATMs as my primary money source (mostly since I was withdrawing funds from an US account). I never had any problems, but now I'd like to be safer and not play the "Hopefully it won't happen to me.." card once I move back. Could someone possibly help out a foolish youngster and tell me how you all go about getting money, without ATMs? :eek: I'm a bit embarassed to say that I don't really know how, but I'm only 21 and and for the few years I've had my checking account, I've always relied on my debit card. Bushbaby touched on this a bit, thank you for that!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Could someone possibly help out a foolish youngster and tell me how you all go about getting money, without ATMs? :eek: I'm a bit embarassed to say that I don't really know how, but I'm only 21 and and for the few years I've had my checking account, I've always relied on my debit card. Bushbaby touched on this a bit, thank you for that!

Go inside to draw cash --- don't draw cash from atm's on the street. If you avoid using an atm card, don't use it .. cash a check at a cambio (you need to be introduced for this), or cash a check in the bank, or use the atm inside the bank if they have a cash dispenser inside. If you have a good relationship at a cambio, use that to cash checks. It is by far the preferred method.

The idea that CJnNJ mentions, is a good one. Even if you live here, you can open a 2nd account and transfer just a little at a time if you absolutely prefer to use an atm card.

cuas

May 29, 2006
What about this?

3 years ago my daughter was going out with a guy when she was coming home between semesters. She told my sister that his ex-girlfriend works in a bank and was giving him bankcards information. I was so afraid for my daughter. This man worked for T-Mobile. He had a late model car. I was asking my daughter how with a low paying job can he afford the car to see if she tells me the truth. I tried to find out where this girl was working to report them because it could be my bank, but never did.
Later I found out that he was not working there anymore. Maybe he was caught.
I am happy that my daughter is not seeing him anymore.

That means not even in the inside of the bank you are safe. This is in NY not DR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is in NY not DR.

Yes I agree, these things can happen anywhere. Look at all the different misuses reported here, for example - scroll down
Online manuals enable ATM reprogramming scam | The Register
or here - photos of some of the devices used:
ATM Scam

The first link is from UK & the second from US.

As far as the DR is concerned I don't think I've used an ATM for the last seven years. That was when we started getting a 'rash' of these events in the DR. As long as you're organised & plan in advance it is always possible to withdraw cash during bank hours. I actually don't keep much money in banks here - I use a finance house which pays me interest monthly (& they use a bank but it is their account, not mine :) )

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
I used to do ATM and Debit terminal installs/security training for RBC Moneris here in Toronto, so know and follow safety procedures carefully.

Yet, a few months ago, my card was somehow cloned and thousands of dollars were changed in fradulent transactions.

Moral: No matter how careful you are, it's possible. And it's certainly not a Dominican Republic only problem.

Be aware of your surroundings, and if things seem scetchy, walk away. It may not protect you in every case, but it'll protect you from the majority of the scams. (Criminals are typically stupid)

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Another report today of a problem.
Friend of mine took out 500 pesos from the atm in Ocean Dream Plaza yesterday (Banco Popular stand alone unit).

Someone else took out 16,500 pesos today in 1000 & 2000 peso increments.
He found this out when he went to make a deposit in his account (Banco Progresso) and found his current balance to be zero.

Will advise later if he has any luck getting back his money :\

BeachyGirl

Jul 24, 2007
I never used and will never use cash machines in the D.R. There is always or almost always a few strange guys around the atm machines. Just don't like that.

How do you get your money then? Do you make a trip inside the back to the teller everytime you need cash? I am honestly asking, no sarcasm whatsoever, as I need all the advice I can get before my relocation in September.

Thanks!

BeachyGirl

Jul 24, 2007
How do you get your money then? Do you make a trip inside the back to the teller everytime you need cash? I am honestly asking, no sarcasm whatsoever, as I need all the advice I can get before my relocation in September.

Thanks!

After reading all the posts (I apologized for my lack of education before posting) and I see that the preferred method for travellers and residents alike, is to go inside and have the teller dispense the money to you, or go to a cambio. Chris stated that you need to be introduced to a cambio, does someone mind elaborating a bit on that subject? And are banks only open on the weekends?
And on the topic of transferring money from account to account online, does anyone here have a credit card in another country that they make the monthly payments online from the DR? I have a credit account with the Bank of America, and I am curious as to the most effective way to make my payments from my new residence in the DR.

Your knowledge and experience is appreicated beyond words!

Thanks,
BeachyGirl