Making the move!

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Good luck on the move and hope to meet up with you, I think you will enjoy chatting with my other half and exchanging sea shanties... lol!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
welcome to the East.
Punta Cana Village is a very nice and also very safe environment to live with the family, good choice.
as others stated above, your used supermarket was the Nacional, its very good and my favorite for the veggies and the wine selection, over all the Super Pola at the San Juan Shopping Center is also very good and on most items a piece cheaper. there is also the newer supermarket LLama at the Palma Shopping, can't compare the prices or variety as i did not shop there, yet, Super Pola is so close to my home that i am too lazy to drive extra miles, and the variety and quality at Pola is over all fine. at Nacional i am usually shopping for all drinkets and foosies needed on the boats, as it is nice close to the Cap Cana Marina.
don't get mistaken on the small quantities prices when shopping at the small Colmados, those small shops are always way more expensive than the big supermarkets, they purchase many of their products at the big supermarkets and then sell it for a added price in small quantities (like ketchup sold per Spoon etc etc), no savings to shop there, and not always the freshest products neither.
small shops which are great for purchases are the Fruteras/the Fruit Stands, my fav one of the area is located up in Veron, at the Policia Acostado near the carwash La Recta, great variety and always fresh fruits.
as for scuba diving/teaching such, of course it will be for fun only in the future here, as working as a dive teacher at one of the Watersports Centers of the Hotels in Punta Cana would not pay not even close what you will need only for the International school at Punta Cana village for your son, and you have the lease on the house, cars, food and drinkets, medic insurance plans etc etc etc to pay for, too, that's a much too high of a living standard for a simple Punta Cana Diving school employee.

again,
welcome to the East
and good luck for the family.

Mike

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
welcome to the East.
Punta Cana Village is a very nice and also very safe environment to live with the family, good choice.
as others stated above, your used supermarket was the Nacional, its very good and my favorite for the veggies and the wine selection, over all the Super Pola at the San Juan Shopping Center is also very good and on most items a piece cheaper. there is also the newer supermarket LLama at the Palma Shopping, can't compare the prices or variety as i did not shop there, yet, Super Pola is so close to my home that i am too lazy to drive extra miles, and the variety and quality at Pola is over all fine. at Nacional i am usually shopping for all drinkets and foosies needed on the boats, as it is nice close to the Cap Cana Marina.
don't get mistaken on the small quantities prices when shopping at the small Colmados, those small shops are always way more expensive than the big supermarkets, they purchase many of their products at the big supermarkets and then sell it for a added price in small quantities (like ketchup sold per Spoon etc etc), no savings to shop there, and not always the freshest products neither.
small shops which are great for purchases are the Fruteras/the Fruit Stands, my fav one of the area is located up in Veron, at the Policia Acostado near the carwash La Recta, great variety and always fresh fruits.
as for scuba diving/teaching such, of course it will be for fun only in the future here, as working as a dive teacher at one of the Watersports Centers of the Hotels in Punta Cana would not pay not even close what you will need only for the International school at Punta Cana village for your son, and you have the lease on the house, cars, food and drinkets, medic insurance plans etc etc etc to pay for, too, that's a much too high of a living standard for a simple Punta Cana Diving school employee.

again,
welcome to the East
and good luck for the family.

Mike

Thanks Mike! And that's good to know about the wine selection in Nacional, I didn't look that close, but I was wondering where I might score the odd bottle now and again! Nice!

As for work, the dive instructor thing is more a long term goal than immediate plan. My wife's a teacher, so if she teaches at the international school, tuition for my son will not be an issue. Before I stop going offshore my house will be paid off, and the only bills I'll have will be utilities, so I could basically goof off and let my wife support me if I wanted to. Not that I will, since that would drive me crazy, but it's definitely an option!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
The friends I have in the DR right now say the beef is above and beyond what we get up in our neck of the woods, and without all the hormones and such.

You're kidding... right???? Unless it's imported, (most likely from the U.S.), the beef in the D.R. is mediocre at best, and more often pretty sad. I think it's cool that you're so excited about your move, and I wish you the best... but just because it's all new and exciting doesn't mean that everything is better than "back home". Also... I doubt that you can find eggs, beef or apples cheaper in the D.R. If you were paying more in the U.S. for those items, you were shopping in the wrong places.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks folks, for the warm welcomes and the great info! I've always found there's really nothing like first hand intel on the ground, and I'm sure that's the case here as well.

Yep, Nacional! That cracks me up that it used to be a bowling alley! But you know, I shouldn't be shocked by that. While in the DR I noticed a huge bit of ingenuity in the people there. They use what they have and they make it work. I think that's great! Sometimes a little scary...but great! I like that whole make it work attitude I guess. I'm a DIY freak from way back.

Tool wise I've already got a good bag packed with my essentials, and of course my whole rolling box will follow when we have everything shipped in a year.

Legality, we're good. Everything we've done is via a lawyer and it's all on the up and up. That was something I'd figured out in talking with a couple of guys I work with who have gone through the pains of learning the hard way, so it was primary on my mind. After looking at the house twice, for a good bit of time both times, I'd say my wife is about 90% on buying it when the lease is up, and I'm about 60% at this point. First, because we're not actually living there yet and you don't know jack about a house till you rest your head there. Second, my DIY nature says wait and see, because every house is different and the work involved could be huge, just depending. I'll know more after a couple of months there, but it is an awesome house so I'm really kinda pulling for it to make us love it, you know?

Tough beef huh? Good to know! I like Angus myself, as my dad used to raise them, so even if it's more expensive I'll probably go that route. We're big on grilling so my first big mission after beds will probably be a grill. We saw several sizes and prices on them as we shopped around, so I don't think that'll be a problem.

As for me...right now I work all over the world, diving as you figured, so it really doesn't matter where I live, as long as I've got a good airport nearby. The plan is to work a couple of years, pay the house off, and then maybe go teach some SCUBA at one of the resorts. I've been going to see for 25+ years, and it's time I stayed closer to home. So I'm ready for a change, I just gotta get everything sorted and I'll be semi-retired. Then I'll have time to tinker with a solar array, make more mods to my bike, and dive for fun more than money!

sorry... the dislike was a mistake... very touchy touch screen and lazy fingers.... that was a "like" all the way!

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Did the move almost 2 years ago. Left Qu?bec with 4 luggages and my 2 Himalayan cats under my arms....
Never been better... I was born to live that kind of life... quiet, always sunny and hot...

I'm not rich, I have to work to pay my bills (rent, food) but hey, why eat sh*t in the cold when you can do it in the sun ???

Still loving it and do no intend to return to Qu?bec... Welcome in Paradise !

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Thats great seacreature, sounds like a good option for buying if you choose, a decent kickback towards the purchase.
I have been back in canada 4 weeks and I am ready to get back to the DR.
Hope everything works out for you!

Agenteflush

Aug 27, 2013
Can someone put me in contact with a good rental agent for the Punta Cana / area ? Or the best website to look for a furnished one or two bedroom ? Recommend the nicer neighborhoods? Thank you Just me and my two dogs lol and a suitcase

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
JDJones said:
I'm guessing that the National there doesn't have a bakery? All the ones I've been to here in the city has a bakery and you can buy bread still hot out of the oven.

Yes it does but the bread has an unpleasant aftertaste IMO, I don't know what they put in it.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
makr from the beginning clear that you are moving with 2 dogs, specially in case they are big dogs. a number of residencies sorrily do not allow dogs, some have even poison out on their properties to keep their place "clean", buggers.

Mike

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
Thus far what an amazing adventure! And I say that without a bit of sarcasm.

We arrived late in the evening, managed to pick up our rental truck and load the massive amount of baggage we'd brought into the back. We don't live too far from the airport, so that was at least nice. A quick ride, and we're in our new home.

Fortunately my wife had somehow selected 'deliver and install' when she set up the IKEA delivery so the guys had everything all assembled for us, all we had to do was unwrap the mattresses and put sheets on and it was bed time! woo!

The next day we set about getting things in order. We needed basic appliances like a fridge, a stove, and washer and drier, as well as a couple of pieces of furniture we hadn't picked up via IKEA. The guy that was an agent for our real estate broker is actually from Miami, so he was incredible helpful to a couple of green gringos fresh off the plane! He took us to a local furniture shop (muebles I think it's called) and we got an excellent deal on our appliances, with delivery and a propane tank included. FANS! We bought two floor models and a ceiling fan as well, life savers!

So after about three days the only thing we were still hurting for was hot water. Seems that the gas powered hot water heater in the house was dead, and we ended up having to wait about 3 weeks for the "plumber" to replace it. I use the quotes because if that guy's a plumber I'm in line to be the next Pope! But hey, I knew it was like that before I moved, so now it's just kinda funny more than anything.

The pool is awesome, and we swim every single day. The weather has been pretty much perfect. Sometimes it rains, but it clears and the sun comes out again, so no worries there. We spend an average of 4 to 5 days a week at one beach or another, and since we're less than two miles from the beach, it's easy and quick to get there. My favorite is Juanillo. They serve excellent drinks, awesome food, and the place just feels relaxed.

Work wise my wife starts her teaching job in January, my kid's enrolled in school to start at the same time, and when I get home I intend to start a regular schedule of sunning by the pool, reading and writing my next novel. I do love the DR!

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
Title of the next Novel?
looks like for the start things worked out for you as expected, nice to hear.

welcome to the 'hood.

Mike

Thanks Mike! The novel is called "Adrift" it's about a guy in the 1600s who comes to the New World to reinvent himself and discovers that the old world just doesn't seem to want to let him go! Pirates and such. High action. I figured what better place in all the world to write a pirate book than sitting on a Caribbean beach!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
See you around, Seacreature. Did you go to the bazaar on Saturday? A great event for mingling with the PC Village community.

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
See you around, Seacreature. Did you go to the bazaar on Saturday? A great event for mingling with the PC Village community.

Sadly I did not get to make it, but my wife and son went and had a big time! I was kinda bummed, I watched them putting up Christmas lights for a month and they turned them on the night after I left to come to work! ARGH! Hopefully I'll get to see it all next year as I plan to be home for the holidays.