Malecon in POP closed to parking at 3PM weekdays and all weekend

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Essentially this will drive all businesses out of business that are on the Malecon.

"Some of the public health provisions are: On the boardwalk of Puerto Plata from Monday to Friday from 3:00 P.M it will be FORBIDDEN to park vehicles and the agglomeration of people. On Saturdays and Sundays throughout the day parking and therefore crowds are PROHIBITED. That is, it will only be allowed to travel this way, nothing to share. These measures include beaches, rivers and all sectors; They come into effect as of tomorrow, Thursday, September 10. We are ALL going to support these measures, we are going to beat this virus."

Good luck with that. The virus has not been beaten anywhere else in the world.

nsxplus1

Feb 3, 2020
"These measures include beaches, rivers and all sectors" If Sosua continues i fear the same measures will be applied.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"These measures include beaches, rivers and all sectors" If Sosua continues i fear the same measures will be applied.
Since Puerto Plata (the province) is over Sosua and Cabarete, the wording is ambiguous on this and needs clarification.

nsxplus1

Feb 3, 2020
Since Puerto Plata (the province) is over Sosua and Cabarete, the wording is ambiguous on this and needs clarification.
I agree it's ambiguos... I was looking for more information but did not find any that would clarify. After reading the official information i believe they were refering to the municipality because of this reference " and all sectors " and not the province because they would have said "and all municipalities or the entire Province"
Municipality (San Felipe de Puerto Plata)
Province (Puerto Plata)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Reactions: chico bill

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Apparently the people are too lazy to park on a side street and walk to the Malecon to conglomerate, so that is the thinking behind the parking restrictions as far as I can tell. Sounds like a stretch and wishful thinking to me. Always gotta been seen to be doing something these politicians - it doesn't usually matter what though.

Reactions: wayne

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Apparently the people are too lazy to park on a side street and walk to the Malecon to conglomerate, so that is the thinking behind the parking restrictions as far as I can tell. Sounds like a stretch and wishful thinking to me. Always gotta been seen to be doing something these politicians - it doesn't usually matter what though.
How to people (assuming they aren't too lazy) parking on a side street and walking to the businesses on the Malecon stop Covid ? This is about the silliest regulation I have heard.
But you are right politicians just want to say they authored a bill to make it seem like they are doing something besides getting fat while in office.

Reactions: Caonabo and wayne

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Much of what the govt proposes and then chooses not to enforce will not help curb the spread of the virus. Some of the ideas put forward by the govt hold promise but will not be effective because the population won't join the effort and those measures that are supposed to be enforced are not being enforced consistently by the officials. So around and around we go - more govt measures, followed by more virus spread. I don't think parking restrictions will keep people off the malecon, away from the casita restaurants or the beach. Only the police can do that and I doubt they will. The officials may have a grand time scooping up parked cars but that will do nothing to slow the virus, just make the populace madder.