Mammogram in the DR ???

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
As the DR1 sages recommend, take heed to medical advice given to you by a trusted healthcare provider.;)

vancer74

May 20, 2008
I am having hard time, (thanks to my lack of Spanish), trying to find the phone number for Diagnostica SA in Santiago. I can not find it in the search engines either.

Does anyone have the phone number?

Thanks very much!

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Mammogram in Punta Cana ???

Can anyone recommend a mammogram practice in the Punta Cana area? We have 2 or 3 clinics here - I just wanted to know if anyone had personal experience with one?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Mammograms & Ultrasound in Puerto Plata

The last one I had done in PP was about 13 years ago and I couldn't read it! We have doubtless moved on with regard to the age of Xray machines in PP since then :cheeky:.....but after that experience I have always timed my mammograms with visits to the UK.

I'm happy to report that we have indeed moved on since my experience of 13 years ago. Very thorough service for mammograms & ultrasound at Centro de Rayos X Dr. Desangles, Calle 12 de Julio # 71 (near & opposite side from Farmacia San Juan). Tel 809-320-0505. I phoned yesterday, no appointment necessary & when I turned up in the pouring rain this morning no-one else was there although 2 more patients arrived afterwards. I had both proceedures (cost RD$1000 each one), took about 1 hour 20 mins in total. I was extremely impressed at how thorough Dr. Desangles was - I explained previous history, showed previous film, scans & reports & didn't even have to translate my UK ones to Spanish because he reads English. He even picked up on something from my 2007 ultrasound in UK and demonstrated that it was erring on the superficial (& that from the prestigious Thames Valley Nuffied Hospital in UK!) in the light of today's 2010 scan. I was given the typed reports and scan & film before I left (all in the 1 hour 20 mins framework).

So............no longer necessary to time mammograms with UK visits. :) And it turns out that the reason I thought the Dr's face was familiar was because.........he lives in the same street as I do, so have met yet another neighbour.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
CMC in Sosua.

Dominican Republic Real Estate : New Sosua, Dominican Republic Medical Center

European or American standards.
Centro M?dico Cabarete
Carratera Sos?a - Cabarete km1
E-mail: cmc-sosua@gmail.com
Neurocirugia del Caribe C por A
Tel: 809 571-4696
Emergency: 809 571-4038

My wife had at complete physical done a couple of months ago. A female Doctor/attendent ? assisted, spoke English that made my wife much more comfortable. Most of the test results done for review the next day.

I know of several people that have been to CMC for all sorts of medical problems. Not one has had a complaint and most could not believe how professional they are.

Ringo

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i gather there is no insurance? cannot help you with the location but when i last had my mammografia (2 years ago) in santiago the full price was something like 3500-4000 pesos.
prepare her for pain. this is not a pleasant procedure and it hurts.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm... now you say it... a good gyno always has a sonograf he uses for both lower and upper parts. the cost is included in the visit (so about 1000 pesos). but this is very superficial and will not be as detailed ad mammografia which is why it is usually used during the standard visit along with manual checkup. and in case either of them shows abnormalities mammografia is performed. so if she was told to do further test then i presume it must be mammografia...

maybe send her to a better doctor to start from?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sonografia of the breast is a routine form of checkup. the doctor will first do a manual exam and then, sometimes, a sonografia. it is very simple and goes exactly like sonografia of a pregnant stomach, just going around the breast, showing the state of tissue below. normal private gynecologist would have USG machine because it is used for nearly every vaginal checkup. if she went to a small clinic they probably do not have expensive equipment like this.

mammografia is more similar, in a way, to xray. the breast is squeezed between two plates and then an image is taken. it is done in few dimensions, if i may call it like that. titty will be squished vertically and horizontally, to give better view of what is going on. in comparison sonografia is more superficial.

so maybe someone can give directions for a good gyno who routinely does sonografia as a part of the normal exam?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
JD, sent her to a good doctor in a large clinic. in case she needs any additional tests she can do them on the spot, on the very same day. hopefully she is well, it's just that a doctor wants to be sure. good luck.

My wife just went to Sosua Hospital and in total for a mamogram, sonagram and biopsy it was $800 which is not a lot for all of that. I think the mamogram and sonagram were like $100-$150 each including blood work

She is going to The Capital next week for a second opinion b/c we have heard bad things about Sosua Hosp. She is going to Cedimat at the Womans Center. I would suggest going there!
We do have insurance starting July 1st for this round of tests.
Good luck, I hope she is ok!

If you want I can tell you how it went there and how much it is when we go?

Last edited: