managing the electric bill

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
A good test is to turn off all the breakers in your home. Then watch the meter and make sure it doesn't still move.

Then start flipping breakers back on one by one and watching the meter. If its the old style dial it will be easy to see when something starts taking a lot of power. If its the digital meter you may need to wait 30 minutes to see how much it changes. You just need to see which breaker(s) cause it to use more power. So start with the ones you think are problems (e.g. A/C, hot water). But sometimes you might be surprised so get a good read for each breaker. Then for the ones that consume a lot start to turn stuff on/off that are on that breaker until you find the item that consumes a lot.

I had a refrigerator that went bad one time (not sure quite how) and it started using a ton of power 24x7. Fixed it and things went back to normal. That was years ago back in the States, but I identified it by doing this test.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
You would be surprised as to how many Dominicans are living with a refrigerator with a busted thermostat that runs the compressor constantly. I found out the hard way.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know that in our house the biggest consumer is a water heater. but guess what, we have bought new parts and checked the pipes. turned out we had a hot water leak right outside out window. which explains why this spot always attracted toads, who would happily sit there all night long. i had the opportunity to see hot water pipes: so narrow i would not be able to fit my finger inside. is that normal?

anyway, we fixed everything. right now we can turn the heater on once a day and the water will be hot enough for me to shower for 24 hrs. bear in mind i like hot showers. but of course it's summertime too and the water does not cool off as fast as in the winter. bottom line is: new power bill? 2000 pesos! before it was minimum 2500 a month. well well.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Does anyone ever install a tankless water heater here? It only heats the water you use when you use it. If I move here I'm going to look at investing in one.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I have a tankless in the states and its fantastic. But, for the d.r. I Would think twice. I believe the water would corrode the waterheater before you got your money out of it. If have replaced both 7 gallon electric hotwaters in heaters in my condo after owning it 3 years. Replacement cost last may was under $100. Hope that helps.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Does anyone ever install a tankless water heater here? It only heats the water you use when you use it. If I move here I'm going to look at investing in one.

We have one. Be sure to check how much water pressure is required, many wont operate with low pressure or gravity feed systems

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Good tips but to the USA however; in the DR, EDENORTE or SUR will robe you blind regardless.

I've been here for over 9 years now and never found that the electric company were thieves. As another poster said, I think that I pay less than I did in the States. I always remember my bills there being about $100 and here I pay around $2500 when I am using the AC. It is a small AC. only 5000 BTU 110 but it keeps either the office or the living room cool.. one in each, i do not trck it around with me..although, I suppose I could.

And I love the way the bill comes with a graph. So I can see how I am doing month to month.

And I also love how it is sliding scale.. ie the more you use, the more you pay. My bill is about 700 pesos if I am out of the country. So that tells me what it costs to just keep the service on. *Think I kept the fridge on, I had guests coming in or something.

The biggest change that I have made is the hot water heater (although I always had gas in the US) turning it off

And I am so glad you found the leak, DV8 and hope the toads go away and your dogs do not faom at the mouth any more..

and do not have anything on in a room if I am not in it. A whole lot easier of course with one person.

The dog cannot reach the light switches or the fan buttons.

Sometimes I find that I have left a fan on ALL DAY

with NO ONE in the ROOM

oh the WASTE
]
The WICKED WICKED WASTE

THE GUILT

THE RECRIMINATIONS

and then some days.. just for luxury.. i will run BOTH a fan and the AC in the same room

it takes so little to entertain me, thank goddess