Marketing and Car Prices

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
OK.. that settles it for me. I am working now on my cedula and my license and plunking away my money for my little SUV and when I have enough in the pot I am going to send a message out to you two, to the HUN and Rocky, to see if you can find a car for me.
Since I honestly don't even know where the timing belt is or what it looks like....

that'd be ok with you guys? please?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Another car for you to look at, since you are a subaru fan, is the nissan x-trail. There are plenty in the DR and they are good little SUVs with economical engines. I know several Dominican that have them in Jarabacoa and they love them.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
OK.. that settles it for me. I am working now on my cedula and my license and plunking away my money for my little SUV and when I have enough in the pot I am going to send a message out to you two, to the HUN and Rocky, to see if you can find a car for me.
Since I honestly don't even know where the timing belt is or what it looks like....

that'd be ok with you guys? please?

Of course!
Rocky can find you a reasonably priced and I'd be glad to check it for you.

The Hun

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Another question please for the car experts. I know that most people get jeeptas for traveling out of the city for the potholes on the roads and perhaps for the sturdiness of the vehicle and the force of the might makes right school of driving here.... but there are lots of 2 wheel drive smaller SUVs which are cheaper

so my question is

do I need the 4x4? I live in SD. I will be using it to drive around the country and want to be able to go on some back roads.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
You don't really need 4WD in the DR, unless you drive on muddy back roads.
Even on off-road a 2WD is OK if the surface is solid.
If you are not expert to drive on deep sand I'd suggest to stay away from driving on dunes, beaches. If there is no other way around, lower the tire pressure down to 12-15 Psi and don't stop unless hit solid surface again.
However if you are thinking to buy a bass-boat, you will need 4WD on the wet boat ramps. ;)

The Hun

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
reviving the topic

not because i am any closer to having the money to buy the car, but am closer to getting the cedula... and therefor the license

i see on suppercarros, where i spend a lot of wishing time... that there are a lot of Honda CRVs in the 2004-5 models that are listed with no prices....

is this an invitation to make an offer? Would these be likely models that have been recently repossessed?

anyone watching that site or is it just too overpriced and public for you experts...

thanks

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
a tip: i hired someone to call around and investigate all the options for me once i'd decided on a car. we had options across the country and she negotiated everything for me. we ended up getting a very good deal in santiago which seemed to surprise others at the dealership that the price was as low as it was. i'm sure you could hire someone for 2 weeks for RD$5000 to call around for you - and the cost in USD would be relatively insignificant compared to what it will save you on the car (not to mention the hassle)

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
I will be looking to buy a second hand SUV when I move over there next year (exact timing uncertain, depends on contract in UK) - is there a website that you guys (The Hun and Rocky) have that I could get an idea of the cars you sell/check and the prices?

Lin

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Car prices, again

Hi again

Now I know that I am going to have lots of people spewing coffee out of their noses but.... what about a daitshu terios? I know that they are consider sort of toys in the UK and are not even sold in the US but they are ... ok--- cute!! and green... and tiny tiny ... and so very economical.

And also, since I come from the land where a 6 year old car is considered old and a ten year old car is ancient... I am used to thinking that the YEAR matters. So when I look at the prices (which, incidently, HAVE NOT BUDGED!!) I think that I am getting a better deal on a car if it is a newer year.

Of course, oddly, very few of the cars on supercarros are advertised with the mileage but I guess since the odometers are often turned back, that is no wonder... What does one do if the car is imported from Japan? How big a deal is it if the steering wheel was moved from one side to another?

I have been figuring that I have to save up around 300k for a decent car but lots of Dominicans are saying no, I do not need that much. But I do not want the car to spend all its time in the shop, or get stuck up on the border with car trouble.

Would I be better off with a newer cheaper car? Or can I get a decent Honda CRV that will give me 5 or 6 (more?) good years for 150k?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hi again

Now I know that I am going to have lots of people spewing coffee out of their noses but.... what about a daitshu terios? I know that they are consider sort of toys in the UK and are not even sold in the US but they are ... ok--- cute!! and green... and tiny tiny ... and so very economical.
MA, PLEASE, forget "cute" and "green" and think SAFETY!!!!!

This is the DR! It's Third World! You see how many Dominicans drive in complete violation of common sense and traffic laws. Those tiny sabot's may appeal to your Environmentalist whims, but those things are death traps in any kind of a bad collision. They become squashed bugs. Go by places where wrecks are towed and see for yourself.

Consider a vehicle with a real frame, solid steel, good crumple zones, heavy-weight and something that will better survive an encounter without crushing the passenger area.

A few dollars here and less gas there are not worth the physical harm that you are exposed to in those tiny, cute, green, economical cars.

Use this philosophy for purchasing cars, trucks, boats, airplanes or any other device the you put your life in: the best vehicle for the worst conditions.

Money and political/social consciousness be damed. Consider your life and the lives of your passengers first.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
People please consider the prices at Supercarros are inflated to account for the haggling they expect and not updated that often either. Anyone who needs a car can PM me and I can put them in contact with my brother who is a dealer himself and can get you any car you wish if he doesn't have it at probably a better price you can doing it on your own, as he would be getting it from some other dealer direct.