Marriage in the Dominican Republic

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Hi Everyone, I have a question and I have been trying to find the answer on here but no luck. Might be that it is monday and I am still on weekend time...but anyways, here it is.

I have a friend, who lives here in Canada, that wants to marry a Dominican down in the DR. Her divorce will be final in May of 2009 and wants to get married the same month down in the Dominican. I have been telling her that he divorce needs to be final for 9 months before she can get married down there. She seems to think that I just don't want her to get married. Long story and really I don't want her too ( enter SKANY RESORT worker here)!

I have worked in travel for many years and we has a customer service issue last year where someone from Canada wanted to get married in the DR but her divorce wasn't finalized for the 9 months so she couldn't.

Does anyone know if this is still the case? For some reason I just can't seem to find the information today.

Thanks
Erin

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Ok I finally found the information.

It is a 10 month waiting period unless you are marrying the same person you divorced.

Now I am going to have to break the news to her that it is 10 months not 9.

Maybe this will give her some time to really think about what she is doing.

Cheers
Erin

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

It is a 10 month waiting period unless you are marrying the same person you divorced.

Cheers
Erin

Erin,
your friend wanna marry the same Sankie again???
my understanding of the OP been that she just wanna marry a sankie who will get his divorce from the prior chick finished in may 2009, nothing out of the ordinary here, but does she really wanna marry the same one again??
heck, live is too short to spend it on the same **** again and again, talk her at l;east into a marriage with an other sankie, not the same one, bring some variety in your live Gals.
o.k.,
i don't need to understand everything in life.
good luck to her,
don't step in her foodsteps
Mike

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Mike,

My friend is here in Canada and is getting a divorce from a Canadian. Yes I have told her all about the "Skanies" I know a lot of them and know how they work. She isn't going to be marrying the same person. She wants to marry some guy, from a resort, that she has only seen twice. Skany Alert!!!!!

I have been down in the DR enough times to know how they all work. That is why I don't stay at the resorts anymore. I was asking the question for her to help her understand that she can't get married right away after her divorce from the guy up here.

What I was saying in my post was. You need to wait for 10 months after getting divorced to get remarried, unless you are going to be marrying the same person. She will not be.

Myself, I am not with anyone down there and I stay away from the Skanies...to many problems with those guys.

Thank for you input though. :):):):)

Cheers
Erin

PS I don't think I understand everything in life either.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

Cheers
Erin

Where did you find it, which law ?? Certainly not the Canadian Divorce Law

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no rob Sammy,
i just been confused about your writing "marrying the same person you divorced", so my understanding been that your friend will marry again the same person she just been divorced from.
heck,
english is my 3rd of all those languages.
tell her to take a fun-outtime from marriage and look for a good counterpart afterwards, lol.
i would not see such like a 'law' situation,
there should be first of all a head get cleared up.
Mike

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Where did you find it, which law ?? Certainly not the Canadian Divorce Law

I was looking a website for the rules about getting married in the Dominican Republic and then I finally called the Dominican Consulte here in Canada. They said that they need to be divorce for 10 months before you get remarried.

Seems stupid to me, but I guess that is the law!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Cheers
Erin

Sammy if you are reading the law under legal page, that law is for Dominican women living and divorcing in the DR. If she is getting divorced in Canada there used to be a 1 month waiting period after the divorce was final before one could get remarried. Have her check with her lawyer in Canada.

Don't call the consulate in Canada, they don't know these laws about Canada.

Here's the page you should be reading

DR1 - Legal

This is what she needs to get married in the DR

Passport
Birth certificate
Single status affidavit translated by an official translator into Spanish
Divorce certificate translated into Spanish by an official translator, if applicable

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The 10 month law is this one:

Art. 35 of Divorce Law 1306-bis of 1938 establishes that a Dominican woman needs to wait ten months after her divorce is final. The only exception is when she is remarrying her previous husband.

dr1.com/divorce

This would apply to Dominican women who divorce in the DR.
Unlikely it applies to Canadian women divorcing in Canada. You would have to check Canadian law. I believe all they ask here is that the person can prove single status with a divorce sentence, I believe.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Thank you Anna and Dolores!

Now it makes it easier to marry her stupid skany!!!! I am still going to tell her it is 10 months and then let her look into it. I am giving up with this whole situation. I have tried to tell her to read this forum about Skanies and she just won't listen.

Thanks again for letting me know!!
Cheers
Erin

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Thank you Anna and Dolores!

Now it makes it easier to marry her stupid skany!!!! I am still going to tell her it is 10 months and then let her look into it. I am giving up with this whole situation. I have tried to tell her to read this forum about Skanies and she just won't listen.

Thanks again for letting me know!!
Cheers
Erin

I have been corrected...i should be saying Sankies!!!! not Skany.

Thank you...you know who!!!

Cheers
Erin