Married to Dominicana. Obtaining DR Citizenship.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I went thru this process myself some years ago, I know those people and lawyers. I know how much they are asking and for what exactly, I just will not post it here. Some of my friends got their Dominican citizenship too, with the same lawyers. So I know what I am talking about.

What is the point to inform me that not everyone will accept bribes in DR? What the naturalization process has to do with deslinde process or courts?

I am wasting my time talking with you.Yes, to prove your point you know EVERYONE in ALL
departments. Like as if that's going to make what you say have more validity.

You want to argue for the sake of arguing.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
You want to argue for the sake of arguing.
I want to post the right information in this thread. For example, if you read the rules and requirements on MIP's website, you will see that the interview in Spanish is necessary during the process of Naturalization. But, do you know that this step can be skipped? No, you don't know, but the right lawyer can arrange that easily. The same with faster answers from Interpol and other agencies. Everything is possible if you have the right lawyer and some extra $$$. How to find the right lawyer? Use your brain for that.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You want to really help the OP? You went through the same process? Then give him the name of
your wonderful lawyer and also call up your contacts in the departments who accept bribes and
help him out.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Perhaps bribes are possible at times and with certain officials but my experience in the present, as in right now; you will have difficulty with doing it for naturalization.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
You want to really help the OP? You went through the same process? Then give him the name of
your wonderful lawyer and also call up your contacts in the departments who accept bribes and
help him out.
I don't give any names to anybody, not in public, not in private messages. I just say that it's possible to have it done fast and easy, if somebody really needs that, he will find the way to find the right people, it's not that difficult. Just a small hint: lawyers that are highly advertized on this board are not the right lawyers for that process.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Perhaps bribes are possible at times and with certain officials but my experience in the present, as in right now; you will have difficulty with doing it for naturalization.

If you decided to do the process yourself, of course you can't walk into their offices with dollars in your hands and ask them to do it faster for you.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you decided to do the process yourself, of course you can't walk into their offices with dollars in your hands and ask them to do it faster for you.

Give me a little more credit than that. We are aware of lawyers that say they can get around some of the requirements...etc. I've have consulted with several lawyers that have been recommended to me from people on this board. They offer the same solutions that I can get myself. The process has changed- it is not PRD anymore and everything is computerized. Besides I'd prefer to do it correctly. Workarounds have a way of coming back and biting you in the ass. You Sir, are not credible.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It doesn't matter what it's for, I was talking in general. Many have the misconception that everyone
in the DR will accept bribes.
Don't feed the troll....GS has obviously no clue. If he paid money to a laywer to bribe an official he was cheated on. Lawyers love those kind of clueless expats that think everything needs to be solved with money and bribes.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
The process has changed- it is not PRD anymore and everything is computerized. Besides I'd prefer to do it correctly. Workarounds have a way of coming back and biting you in the ass. You Sir, are not credible.
It was the same last 10 years with PLD. Some of my friends were naturalized during last two years, and I know all details.
I am not talking about illegal workarounds that can bite you in the ass later, like false documents etc. I am talking about doing all the process correctly but speeding it up. And this is still possible with the right lawyers. And you can see those lawyers with their clients on every naturalization ceremony in MIP building, where you have to pretend you know the words of Dominican anthem :)

Last edited:

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Once a starr

Travel 80% of life and marry a Dominicana sounds like an epic fail.

Not everyone is as bitter and disillusioned about their life as you are.
Some people actually enjoy life with their spouse.
Even though there are obstacles, it is better for oneself to remain positive.
The hate and acid can eat you up, case in point.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Don't feed the troll....GS has obviously no clue. If he paid money to a laywer to bribe an official he was cheated on. Lawyers love those kind of clueless expats that think everything needs to be solved with money and bribes.

This is DR. Everything can be done fast. If I buy a new apartment, I love to have my title ready in one week from the sale date. If I buy a new car, I have my matricula ready in a few days without going anywhere and without taking the car to Plan Piloto. If I need some documents from here to use in other countries (like Panama), even if it's normally takes one week or more to obtain those papers, I have them ready, legalized and apostiled in 24 hours, delivered to my apartment. I just don't like to waste my time.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This is DR. Everything can be done fast. If I buy a new apartment, I love to have my title ready in one week from the sale date. If I buy a new car, I have my matricula ready in a few days without going anywhere and without taking the car to Plan Piloto. If I need some documents from here to use in other countries (like Panama), even if it's normally takes one week or more to obtain those papers, I have them ready, legalized and apostiled in 24 hours, delivered to my apartment. I just don't like to waste my time.

You pay extra money to get your matricula right away? Just what I thought.

The last two vehicles I bought matricula took 1 day and the title of our house maybe 1 month. No money paid, besides the normal taxes.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
You pay extra money to get your matricula right away? Just what I thought.

The last two vehicles I bought matricula took 1 day and the title of our house maybe 1 month. No money paid, besides the normal taxes.

As you know, you have to drive your car to Plan Piloto to get their certification before you can pay taxes to DGII. Actually, you have to go there twice, first time with the car and then to get the certification. I prefer that my lawyer send the pictures of the car to the guy in Plan Piloto, and while her mensajero is driving his moto to them, the certification is already done and waiting for him. The same with DGII, another person goes there, and finally deliver the new matricula to me. I need to pay so little money for this extra service, maybe I'll spend the same to eat in a cheap cafe, so what are you talking about? I don't like to go to DGII offices, Plan Piloto, Registro de titulos, etc.. I better spend that time on the beach or in cabanas.

Regarding the Naturalization, to stay on topic, man if you can pay a few hundred dollars to skip the interview, for example, why not? I did not skip it myself, since I had exactly the same scenario of interview like Criss Colon's friend (read his post). But some of my friends with zero Spanish paid and there was no interview at all. Everything is possible if you want it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As you know, you have to drive your car to Plan Piloto to get their certification before you can pay taxes to DGII. Actually, you have to go there twice, first time with the car and then to get the certification. I prefer that my lawyer send the pictures of the car to the guy in Plan Piloto, and while her mensajero is driving his moto to them, the certification is already done and waiting for him. The same with DGII, another person goes there, and finally deliver the new matricula to me. I need to pay so little money for this extra service, maybe I'll spend the same to eat in a cheap cafe, so what are you talking about? I don't like to go to DGII offices, Plan Piloto, Registro de titulos, etc.. I better spend that time on the beach or in cabanas.

Regarding the Naturalization, to stay on topic, man if you can pay a few hundred dollars to skip the interview, for example, why not? I did not skip it myself, since I had exactly the same scenario of interview like Criss Colon's friend (read his post). But some of my friends with zero Spanish paid and there was no interview at all. Everything is possible if you want it.

And if you are a US citizen, it is also a violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act to attempt bribery of a foreign government....etc.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Question maybe I am wrong but if you are married to a Dominican dont you still have to get provisional residency before you apply for Naturalization or can you skip that and get Naturalised?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Question maybe I am wrong but if you are married to a Dominican dont you still have to get provisional residency before you apply for Naturalization or can you skip that and get Naturalised?

Yes, you are right. It "used" to be that only men married to Dominican women needed it, now we all do.

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Does anyone know if this process is like the residency visa meaning that the process has to be started at the Dominican Consulate in the country of origin? My wife is Dominican born but also a US citizen. I am also a US citizen. We live in the US but own property in DR plus have joint financials in DR. Would like to start the process so that I can stay legally longer than 30 days.
Thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Does anyone know if this process is like the residency visa meaning that the process has to be started at the Dominican Consulate in the country of origin? My wife is Dominican born but also a US citizen. I am also a US citizen. We live in the US but own property in DR plus have joint financials in DR. Would like to start the process so that I can stay legally longer than 30 days.
Thanks

If you already have your DR residency, you can apply for citizenship. If you don't, you have to start residency back in home country to get it and then, after 6 months I believe, you can apply for citizenship.