May he rest in peace, Johnny Honda.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Johnny "C"

I just got in from Sosua very early this morning. What an unbelievable feeling to be keeping an eye out for somebody and then finding out they died a couple of mornings after you'd been looking for them. Living near Milwaukee, I'd bring Harley shirts and the like down for John. In hastily packing for this trip, I left two 100th Harley anniversary Miller beer cans for Johnny in a bag on my bedroom floor. They went in the fridge this morning. Will be thinking of you Johnny. Thanks for everything and see you around sometime. We had some good laughs.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I just arrived back in town and both Yris and I are truely saddened to hear of John's untimely passing. Truely a character that can't be replaced. I was looking forward to having many more than the one conversation i was lucky enough to have had.
May he rest in peace.
Bob Saunders

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
Can't believe it

OMG, just about i month we were having drinks at the Voodoo Lounge and talking about motorcycles.
He definitely a nice guy always helping others.
He would buy all the fur toys from a lady vendor at the Britannia just to help her and then toss 'em to all kids around.
Wow nothings for sure.
May he rests in peace.

Last edited:

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
MY CONDOLENCES

Wow, Johnny, sorry to see you go. I never met you in person, but I thought of you fondly. You see, you were the first of two people to welcome me here to DR1, and as trivial as that may seem, to me you were special because you went out of your way to do so. I guess that was your style. Thanks, Johnny. May you rest in peace.

-Indie

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Goodbye Johnny

Bushbaby is out of the country and I've only just seen this tragic news. Our deepest condolences to Johnny's family. He was far too young to die.
Ginnie

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Things I remember about Johnny

I have many fond memories of Johnny during my time in the DR. We were at his new home for Christmas 2001, a home he had built for his wife and that he planned to retire in. I enjoyed our many Presidente's at the Brit, La Roca, and Rocky's. I remember the first peeks we all had of his new full back tattoo of a Harley Rider...and I remember watching in awe as he closed deals in the VIP room at the Flamenco Playa Dorada.

I am reminded of a story Johnny once told me about him and Gordie driving down the highway in the dead of night on Johnny's Honda Shadow with their arms in the air screaming "We can't die!". John explained to me that he was a firm believer in fate, and knew that when his time was up, he would have to go.

Now he has gone, may he rest in peace, the world was a better place with him in it...

God bless
Marc Haugen
Olympia, WA

PS - I have posted a pic of Johnny and Gordie in the media gallery

pid

Oct 15, 2003
Robert said:
I'm in shock!

My heart goes out to his family, he was a one of a kind guy!

Please, as soon as anyone has any info, please post it here.

i was with john on the flight that took him back from canada on the 26th of this month...after a while he was complaining about neck pain and fever and beleived he had acold comming up
after awhile when he got back home the pain became unbarable...so after a while he spent a couple days in local clinic here and sousa...that did no good...then another doctor from cabarete tried a few more things to no avail...then he was taken to bournigal clinic where he died from kidney, lung and liver failure,his body will be cremated friday, his ashes should be back in sosua by the week end...his wife his preparing a memorial...his canadian family his having a memorial tomorrow morning at eleven..i'll post the date of the local mmemorial a soon i know...

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Well, the original BushBaby is back & posting again - what a shock to come back to hear of Johnny's passing. My sympathy & commiserations to the family & PLEASE keep me informed of his memorial service!

Re the get together for DR1 contributors which will be in Johnny's memory, I shall be there (most likely WITH 'She who must be Obeyed) & I will be pleased to put a brandy on the counter in his memory. If a collection is thought appropriate for his widow & children, maybe the brandy could be put next to the collection pot!!

May you rest in peace Johhny - I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy the retirement you were speaking of last time we spoke!! - Grahame.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Adios

Johhny may you rest in peace and ride that
Honda in the sky.

I exchanged emails with Johnny on a couple
of occasions and was hoping to meet him
someday.

Shocked,

JD

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
PS - I have posted a pic of Johnny and Gordie in the media gallery--Marc

Great pic. Thanks Marc. Thats exactly how I remember ol' Johnny.

Larry

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Unbelievable!

I have not been reading DR1 lately and so was shocked to hear of Johnny's passing.

He was a consumate gentleman and tour guide for me when I visitied the DR. I loved his humor and strong conviction for the Dominican Republic. I was so looking forward to seeing him again when next I visit. I can't believe that I will not have that opportunity again. I don't think he realized how much it meant to me for him to take time out of his life to show me around.

The tears are flowing too hard to write right now. My heart and thoughts are with his family.

Adios, Johnny,

Tondra

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Bummer to read the news. I liked Johnny Honda the minute he walked up to my table at the KingofDice Jaragua DR1 party. He was a great conversationalist and added tremendous life to the party. I was very appreciative that he attended, especially after several other DR1ers commented that it was rare for Johnny to attend gatherings. (Guess I had better liquor than Escott).

Anyway, I had some prize give-aways that night and Johnny's highcards won a cult classic DVD "Circus of Souls". A few weeks later, I sent Johnny an email asking him how he liked the DVD. He sent back a brief note that it was an eerie movie, with the music of death. In retrospect, I regret giving out a movie like that when he may have been already spiraling down.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
kingofdice said:
...In retrospect, I regret giving out a movie like that when he may have been already spiraling down.

And if he were here to hear you say that he'd kick yer ass ;) Don't regret, live.

m