McDonald's in Puerto Plata

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I have been going to Ceiba since shortly after they opened. I agree that they have the best pizza I have had on the island.

Yet, It is about a 7 out of 10 compared to where I grew up, and yes it isn't always the same as another pointed out. There is no pizza in the DR that really comes close to what I had back home where I grew up.
That was my first real job...Pizza maker in Italian restraurant......

Reactions: La Profe_1

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
I agree with the Coconuts location being nicer, BUT something has happened with the staff. The last time I was there, the food had gone from great (months ago) to terrible. The tuna was uneatable and sent back. The waiter apologized and said he would bring a fresh one caught that day, as the first one had been frozen. Then the service was so slow, that twice we had to walk to the bar to get a drink and later to get the bill.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
San Jorge Pizza and Bakery were recommended to us as the best pizza in the Puerto Plata area. We've tried most of their offerings including the lasagne and agree that it's the best pizza we've had here.

They have a website with menu and capibility to order on line.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I tried Coconuts pizza last week. I agree that it is the closest to Ceiba Cafe that I have had. Not close to back home, but OK.

Coconuts is so much nicer of a location then the previous business that was there now that it has been rebuilt.
Better menu than the previous business as well.
I went to Coconuts last week. The place is a lot different to the old Chez Arsenios and it looks much nicer. The food was OK, but neither my wife, daughter or myself thought that it was excellent. You pay for the view and I will agree that it is the most picturesque restaurant in the area. However, they totally rely on the ocean breeze to keep the restaurant cool and there is not one ceiling or wall fan. We were there at night when unfortunately there was no breeze at all and all three of us were feeling uncomfortably warm. My wife and daughter are Dominican are rarely complain that it is too warm and for them to complain about it meant that it was way too warm. They definitely need to install fans to make the experience more comfortable.

Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Do you guys have Pedidos Ya on the North Coast?

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
I've had excellent pizza all over the island almost exclusively from restaurants owned and staffed by Italians. The best are restaurants where the owner and chef barely speaks Spanish, has almost no English and essentially only speaks Italian. Go ahead and argue if you must, but pizza, lovingly made by Italians with decades of experience and made from fresh local ingredients is the next best thing to pizza in Italy, which I am very familiar with and IS the best.

All this bickering over various styles and locations, and secret sauces lol, from back in the US being the best is complete nonsense. I've eaten at all the recommended and venerated locations in the 5 boroughs, and other US location touted to be "the best". and to be honest most were mediocre at best and a couple of them were almost inedible. If you want proper pizza it's from Italy, then if not it's as I described above. All the rest of this argument is simply nonsense by people who have never tasted and experienced real pizza, comparing it to the regional crap offered where you used to live. Your memories are wrong, plain and simple LOL

Go to Naples, or Rome or arguably any place in Italy and it will be worlds apart better than anything you've ever had "back home" or in the DR. Sample the pizza there and then we can talk. Baring that find a "real" Italian restaurant featuring pizza in the DR and it'll beat out anything else you can find. Period, full stop ;)

Now go....or go ahead and argue without any experience or taste and no, being a non-Italian pizza maker as a teen does not give you any expertise unless it was in Italy LOL

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I've had excellent pizza all over the island almost exclusively from restaurants owned and staffed by Italians. The best are restaurants where the owner and chef barely speaks Spanish, has almost no English and essentially only speaks Italian. Go ahead and argue if you must, but pizza, lovingly made by Italians with decades of experience and made from fresh local ingredients is the next best thing to pizza in Italy, which I am very familiar with and IS the best.

All this bickering over various styles and locations, and secret sauces lol, from back in the US being the best is complete nonsense. I've eaten at all the recommended and venerated locations in the 5 boroughs, and other US location touted to be "the best". and to be honest most were mediocre at best and a couple of them were almost inedible. If you want proper pizza it's from Italy, then if not it's as I described above. All the rest of this argument is simply nonsense by people who have never tasted and experienced real pizza, comparing it to the regional crap offered where you used to live. Your memories are wrong, plain and simple LOL

Go to Naples, or Rome or arguably any place in Italy and it will be worlds apart better than anything you've ever had "back home" or in the DR. Sample the pizza there and then we can talk. Baring that find a "real" Italian restaurant featuring pizza in the DR and it'll beat out anything else you can find. Period, full stop ;)

Now go....or go ahead and argue without any experience or taste and no, being a non-Italian pizza maker as a teen does not give you any expertise unless it was in Italy LOL

No argument, but it would be nice to know what they do differently in Italy that makes is so much better.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete

I worked on Italian cruise ships for 5 years and have been all over Italy so became quite a connoisseur of pizzas during my 5 years visiting Italy...and Naples definitely had the best pizzas! It also comes down to the wood used which has a major part in the perfect tasting pizza. Beech wood is the most commonly used in Italy followed by oak but oak is much more expensive. Over here I am not sure which wood they use, Beech is not available and oak (roble) would be far too expensive. In La Ceiba the pizza base is delicious and always perfectly cooked.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've had pizza here from several Italian restaurants and they really weren't that great. Roma's at the light in Cabarete is one. It's ok, but not great. Another was at an Italian restaurant in Boca Chica - Italy, Italy. Not sure if it's still there. The pizza there was not very good at all. An Italian running a restaurant here doesn't guarantee good pizza.

Reactions: monfongo

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I've had pizza here from several Italian restaurants and they really weren't that great. Roma's at the light in Cabarete is one. It's ok, but not great. Another was at an Italian restaurant in Boca Chica - Italy, Italy. Not sure if it's still there. The pizza there was not very good at all. An Italian running a restaurant here doesn't guarantee good pizza.

Since you brought up BC...I've never tried their pizza but Palmares Bar/Restaurant has the best pasta in Boca Chica that I have ever tasted here in the DR. It is Italian owned.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Since you brought up BC...I've never tried their pizza but Palmares Bar/Restaurant has the best pasta in Boca Chica that I have ever tasted here in the DR. It is Italian owned.
A lot of Italians here a northern Italians and pizza is not really their thing. Pizza is more southern Italian food.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I agree with the Coconuts location being nicer, BUT something has happened with the staff. The last time I was there, the food had gone from great (months ago) to terrible. The tuna was uneatable and sent back. The waiter apologized and said he would bring a fresh one caught that day, as the first one had been frozen. Then the service was so slow, that twice we had to walk to the bar to get a drink and later to get the bill.
Very disappointing to hear. I was thinking of going there soon. I was there 6 months ago. The service was good and the pizza was the best I've had here so far. The location and view is spectacular. Unmatched here on the north coast IMO.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I worked on Italian cruise ships for 5 years and have been all over Italy so became quite a connoisseur of pizzas during my 5 years visiting Italy...and Naples definitely had the best pizzas! It also comes down to the wood used which has a major part in the perfect tasting pizza. Beech wood is the most commonly used in Italy followed by oak but oak is much more expensive. Over here I am not sure which wood they use, Beech is not available and oak (roble) would be far too expensive. In La Ceiba the pizza base is delicious and always perfectly cooked.
Yes. You really need a wood-fired brick oven for the best pizza.

Reactions: OldSkool

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
Why don’t you let us in on the really great pizza restaurants here in DR. Name them. Don’t keep it secret! NY Pizza…one of the best!
Sure, insult me then ask for a favor. Not gonna happen.

If you think NY pizza is so great we're miles apart. No point in even engaging in conversation with you. It's a style but nothing like any pizza I've had in Italy, which is the best, and having tried most of the better known and recommended places in NY I would not cross the street for a slice. It's crap in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya