"MEAT" TO GO???

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
I bought frozen burger patties from Janets. Meat To Go. Their steaks are usually great. Every now and again you get a tough one. People on DR1 always talk up their product.

I cooked these burgers through and no matter how long I grille them, THE MEAT REMAINS RED.

Beef never remains red when cooked. My question is, is this beef? Are they adding something like a nitrate?

The taste and texture is also horrendous. Straight into the garbage money gone.

Here is a pic of a well done burger with bright red "meat."
38e8f8ac82b694d0b54fc0eae56067a6.jpg

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I bought frozen burger patties from Janets. Meat To Go. Their steaks are usually great. Every now and again you get a tough one. People on DR1 always talk up their product.

I cooked these burgers through and no matter how long I grille them, THE MEAT REMAINS RED.

Beef never remains red when cooked. My question is, is this beef? Are they adding something like a nitrate?

The taste and texture is also horrendous. Straight into the garbage money gone.

Horse meat?

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Beef never remains red when cooked. My question is, is this beef? Are they adding something like a nitrate? .

Yup , according to our neighbor, it’s obviously not beef ...more like....some beef mixed with horse meat and other types of cheap meat , cereals , fillers, presrvatives and coloring . Homemade burgers are best .

May 5, 2007
About 20 years ago, after nights of "celebrating," I would frequently stop at one of the "goat burger" stands on the Malecon, one closest the power plant end in particular Usually met up with same locals and tourist who would say with all sincerity it was goat and not cow Not sure, don't care as they were some of the best burgers ever could have been the circumstances, could have been the ritual preparation (And that was lengthy when inebriated and starved) , all I know is they were great for very little money (About a buck as I recall)

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Yup , according to our neighbor, it’s obviously not beef ...more like....some beef mixed with horse meat and other types of cheap meat , cereals , fillers, presrvatives and coloring . Homemade burgers are best .
Yep. Just find good ground beef and make your own. No doubt.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
meat to go? don't you mean MEAT DEPOT which is clear from the label?

i buy burgers from them all the time, never had an issue. their quality is excellent. different additions (bacon, chorizo, cheese etc) will cause the patty to look differently when cooked. you are making much ado about nothing.

also note that i buy directly from their stand in el encanto in santiago or flagship store in SD, in my experience their products sold by smaller stores tend to be on display for a looooong time (they are pricey so not enough takers, i guess?).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I make my own...

50/50 ground beef and pork...and as many condiments as your stomach can handle.

1 lb of each....always have them in the freezer

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I make my own...

50/50 ground beef and pork...and as many condiments as your stomach can handle.

1 lb of each....always have them in the freezer

75% ground beef

25% beef short ribs, ground. gourmet fare. it does not get better. and do not mix longer than you have to. prolonged mixing makes burgers tough.

DO NOT add salt to the burger meat. add the salt while it is cooking, either on the grille, or in the pan. and go liberally on the salt and pepper. not too many condiments...you are making a burger, not a stew.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Why does the tag say "Bacon Cheddar"? If that's what they are, that will effect color and cooking times.
Bacon cheddar burger but right, it only says bacon cheddar...they leave off the "burger" part. Hmmmmm....

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Yes, Meat Depot. Not Meat to Go. Ugghhh...

i buy burgers from them all the time, never had an issue. their quality is excellent. different additions (bacon, chorizo, cheese etc) will cause the patty to look differently when cooked. you are making much ado about nothing.

also note that i buy directly from their stand in el encanto in santiago or flagship store in SD, in my experience their products sold by smaller stores tend to be on display for a looooong time (they are pricey so not enough takers, i guess?).

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017

The meat remains RED and is unedible. I think it is something.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
75% ground beef

25% beef short ribs, ground. gourmet fare. it does not get better. and do not mix longer than you have to. prolonged mixing makes burgers tough.

DO NOT add salt to the burger meat. add the salt while it is cooking, either on the grille, or in the pan. and go liberally on the salt and pepper. not too many condiments...you are making a burger, not a stew.

The pork adds flavor and moisture/fat

Mine are slightly Thai in nature....

As for adding the salt.... same with eggs
Add salt when finished... not during or before

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The pork adds flavor and moisture/fat

Mine are slightly Thai in nature....

As for adding the salt.... same with eggs
Add salt when finished... not during or before

pork is a great addition, especially when the grind is a little fatty.

and, in the case of the salt...it leaches the moisture out of the sinew, and renders the cooked product dry and trashy...