Medical emergency flight required to UK for Mr. WB

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Isn't the fact that Mr WB is back in the UK getting proper treatment good enough for you, do we really need to beat yet another horse Dee Are One style?

I am with you Tambo, really some people find it oh so necessary to drag this whole story on and on and on...

Doesn't anybody consider that Mrs. WB is reading all this stuff too? Hasn't she gone through enough already and maybe harsh times ahead still????

Reactions: drloca

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Yes, she is reading it today with some amusement and interest too..... reason he did not attempt to fly out of another airport apart from POP was due to a number of reasons, i.e. transport to those other airports, no direct flights to the UK, unable to transit via the US etc.

Just out of interest, when do others renew their passports? We rather thought that the time to do it was when it was due to expire and, with a British Passport, that entails completing the necessary forms, sending away expiring passport along with payment and new photos. This was duly done but, due unfortunately to the ridiculous requirements of the passport office, the application was rejected on the grounds that the photographs had an incorrect background colour...... odd when you think we used those very same photographs for the issued Emergency Travel Document (passport)! Charlie's old passport expired on 28th July 2010 and you all know the date that he found out that he needed to get back to the UK asap as his cancer was back...... perhaps, with hindsight, we should have realised that the doctors diagnosis here of pneumonia was incorrect and pre-planned his emergency trip to the UK before the passport expired!!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
with hindsight, we should have realised that the doctors diagnosis here of pneumonia was incorrect and pre-planned his emergency trip to the UK before the passport expired!!

Shirl, you did the best you could in the circumstances! Yes, hindsight is always 20/20, very easy to say "would have, should have, could have"...but dont beat yourself up...all that counts now is that he is in capable hands and receiving appropriate care and treatment!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Yes, she is reading it today with some amusement and interest too..... reason he did not attempt to fly out of another airport apart from POP was due to a number of reasons, i.e. transport to those other airports, no direct flights to the UK, unable to transit via the US etc.

Just out of interest, when do others renew their passports? We rather thought that the time to do it was when it was due to expire and, with a British Passport, that entails completing the necessary forms, sending away expiring passport along with payment and new photos. This was duly done but, due unfortunately to the ridiculous requirements of the passport office, the application was rejected on the grounds that the photographs had an incorrect background colour...... odd when you think we used those very same photographs for the issued Emergency Travel Document (passport)! Charlie's old passport expired on 28th July 2010 and you all know the date that he found out that he needed to get back to the UK asap as his cancer was back...... perhaps, with hindsight, we should have realised that the doctors diagnosis here of pneumonia was incorrect and pre-planned his emergency trip to the UK before the passport expired!!

Same here WB, when passport is due to expire we need to send it back with new photo's and we only get a new passport when handing over the old one. If we want to keep the old one for sentimental reason (some nice stamps in it from different countries), they allow it and cut the corner of the old passport so it isn't valid anymore. Any time before is a waste of money because you can extend it as so far. There is nothing you could have done more so don't beat yourself on this one, this was not something you could predict.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

Many countries will NOT let you enter (except the transit lobby, if one is available) if your Passport is NOT valid for yet at leas ANOTHER 6 months.
In other words, it would seem advisable to renew passports early on in their last year.

I myself found myself stumped at an airport in Ecuador with a less than 6 months valid passport once too. I was lucky, I had the consul's cell... and back then, they could MAKE a passport at the consulate. Two hours later, I was on my way, sweat up, but on my way (now, since biometric and electronically readable passports, that's a thing of the past).

Your passport IS YOU. It is your way out, into safety someday maybe. It's a life line... one of the many, but an important one.
You keep it valid whether you PLAN to travel or not. You NEVER know when you WILL NEED to use it.

While I understand that you are going thru stressful times, WB and may feel that you have been bombarded with mostly well meant but at times apparently ignorant of your immediate personal needs suggestions and questionings within this thread, there is no need to object to a simple reminder which was never meant to be critique, and not directed at you exclusively.
I think many can have learned from your experience, in good and bad. Even you too.

I for one realized that on my next trip abroad I might want to consider subscribing to a Med-EVac insurance. And maybe to the local option too:

http://aeroambulancia.com

We just lost a dear friend waiting for an ambulance for the better part of a day here. There is no critique in this... but it get one thinking... at least that.

I hope the best for Mr. WB... J-D.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the Problem withh Airambulance Insurances is mostly thheir usual Clause "lifetreathhening Condition that can NOT be treated in thhe Country of Presence", so to get that Ambulance Flight back home Paid needs a Paper that states that a specific Deasease or Health Condition can not be treated somewhere here in the DR.
I say that would be some very rare thingy, doesn't matter what country has the 'Better' treatment, but the very most deseases are treated here, so such Insurance would be for nothing.
the Passport thingy is something we should open a new Subject about,
because it is a very Important Theme for all living abroad, and it seems like the Rules for Passport Renewals are very different in the different countries, so we should post the info in a separate Topic.
for myself it is easy, I have legally 2 German Passports, each valid for 10 years on each renewal, expiring on years apart expiration dates, Germany allows a 2nd Passport to be issued for Frequent Travelers, I have the 2nd one since long before I lived in the DR or as a Permanent resident in a Foreign Country.
and I am back home in Europe for a Family Visit every few Years, so when I see that one of my passports is valid for just an other 3 years or less out of the always issued 10 years, then I order the early renewal.
yes, in German it is done Centrally in Berlin, so the local office send's the Passport to Berlin, usual time for renewal is 8 weeks, mostly my renewals took jusy 3-4 weeks. I usually do not stay 8 weeks or more in Germany, that's why a long time ago I signed papers that my Baby Sis and my Parents are allowed to receive such things like the renewed Passport in my name, and then I get it send over here, it's never in a hurry, because I still have the other Passport valid for Years in hand.
let's open a new Topic about those Important things.

here on the WB Topic my comment is short and simple:
I am very happy for Shirley and Charlie that the RAF Pilot been 'flexibel', thanks to Beeza for a great Job Done.
all best wishes for Charlie to recover quick and fully to be back in Paradise soon.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: J D Sauser

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
the Problem withh Airambulance Insurances is mostly thheir usual Clause "lifetreathhening Condition that can NOT be treated in thhe Country of Presence", so to get that Ambulance Flight back home Paid needs a Paper that states that a specific Deasease or Health Condition can not be treated somewhere here in the DR.
I say that would be some very rare thingy, doesn't matter what country has the 'Better' treatment, but the very most deseases are treated here, so such Insurance would be for nothing.
the Passport thingy is something we should open a new Subject about,
because it is a very Important Theme for all living abroad, and it seems like the Rules for Passport Renewals are very different in the different countries, so we should post the info in a separate Topic.
for myself it is easy, I have legally 2 German Passports, each valid for 10 years on each renewal, expiring on years apart expiration dates, Germany allows a 2nd Passport to be issued for Frequent Travelers, I have the 2nd one since long before I lived in the DR or as a Permanent resident in a Foreign Country.
and I am back home in Europe for a Family Visit every few Years, so when I see that one of my passports is valid for just an other 3 years or less out of the always issued 10 years, then I order the early renewal.
yes, in German it is done Centrally in Berlin, so the local office send's the Passport to Berlin, usual time for renewal is 8 weeks, mostly my renewals took jusy 3-4 weeks. I usually do not stay 8 weeks or more in Germany, that's why a long time ago I signed papers that my Baby Sis and my Parents are allowed to receive such things like the renewed Passport in my name, and then I get it send over here, it's never in a hurry, because I still have the other Passport valid for Years in hand.
let's open a new Topic about those Important things.

here on the WB Topic my comment is short and simple:
I am very happy for Shirley and Charlie that the RAF Pilot been 'flexibel', thanks to Beeza for a great Job Done.
all best wishes for Charlie to recover quick and fully to be back in Paradise soon.

cheers
Mike

Great post Mike and great idea to open a new thread about some of the side issues that came up with the emergency of Mr.WB.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Totally agreed.... regardless of age, any accident can be life threatening and require emergency action.

Mr WB has, in his own way, done us all a big favor. We are more alert because of his problem... sadly, but true.

The German 2 passport idea is a good one and as MF points out all countries seem to have different rules.

My daughter just tried to renew her Cdn passport before being transfered to the UK and was denied.... she has more than 2 years remaining on her current one.

My other daughter is in Australia and could not get a visa because her time remaining on HER passport was too short !!

Life on the road can get confusing:surprised

Very good things have happened thanks to Mr and Mrs WB's difficulties.... I hope both of you are holding up well.

All the best
WW