Meeting Tuesday re Migracion questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
In all seriousness, I don't think anyone will be cornered for documents at this meeting. I'd go if I lived close by. 

It's just so joke worthy. Mr AE said be careful, it may be like a roach motel, "roaches check in, but they don't check out". I'm waiting for him to sing one of his favorite songs, which also fits, Hotel California. 

Ha ha! Too funny.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Any of you currently on an "over stay" please be sure to bring your pocket book.

I just left 94 days looked at passport said go to last immigration guy on right ...he hands me sheet pointed to 2500 peso ..paid ...Said go to that officer he stamped my passport and said have a good flight..I did..

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I was told of this tonight by a Dominican/American friend, and when I said, "Cosette: why?" she said, because you never know what tidbits might be gleaned. My status is fine, but one never knows what one might learn.

Even though 11 is sort of early for me, I will do my best to be there.

I will be there, if I am, without the dog.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I was told of this tonight by a Dominican/American friend, and when I said, "Cosette: why?" she said, because you never know what tidbits might be gleaned. My status is fine, but one never knows what one might learn.

Even though 11 is sort of early for me, I will do my best to be there.

I will be there, if I am, without the dog.
don't 
Forget your taser! ;)

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I was walking by Casa Marina this morning (9:20)

I stopped at the Front Desk.

I asked if there was a meeting here today at 1pm?.... NO

with Migración?.... NO

with the Mayor?.... NO

so, there is no meeting today in the Hotel.... NO Meeting

if there was a meeting, could I go to it?.... NO only guests can enter

SO CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THE MEETING TODAY ? ? ?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
ENCUENTRO AUTORIDADES MIGRACION & MITUR & GOBERNACION CON SECTOR TURISTICO

Martes 7 de Marzo

Hotel Casa Marina, Sosua, Puerto Plata

11:00am

11am not 1pm

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Your right... my mistake... it is 11

But....
Casa Marina Front Desk, this morning (9:20) knew of NO meeting today.

Can some one confirm is it real?

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I just had a friend call Casa Marina and asked in Spanish.

After talking to 4 people, they were told there is a meeting today, but....

It is by invitation only

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
A clerk or whomever at Casa marina is not going to know if its an open meeting or meeting by invitation. Your lucky to find out if they know what time it starts. But I would not trust them to tell you the correct time... hahahaha

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i went. the meeting was open for everyone and the hotel staff made no issues about entering the property. but i guess some people will always find a way to blame others for their own shortcomings to explain why they could not attend...

report coming soon. i need another coffee and a slice of homemade japanese cotton cheesecake.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so.

there were several people from local authorities present. the table was presided by julio almonte, vice minister of tourism, who spoke in spanish and english. there was also andres pastoriza, the president of ADSS who also served as a translator. ilana neuman, alcalde of sosua was also there, as well as coronel ignacio grullon from cestur.
attendees from DGM were rafael nunez veloz, director of extranjeria; some old broad who is a director of local DGM office in PP; director de inteligencia migratoria, de control migratorio and a person in charge of asuntos de migracion.

the way the meeting was set up was a bit strange: first several questions were accepted, all at once and then they were addressed one by one. people asking questions were both dominicans and gringos, some spoke spanish, some spoke english, some both (everything was translated to spanish and/or english as needed, unless the person asking could do both languages). some saw it as an opportunity to ramble on about god knows what without ever getting to the point. some took it as an opportunity to make helpful "suggestions" as to how DGM should change.

i got bored, hungry and cold pretty quickly so i left as soon as my query was addressed but here's a bunch of stuff communicated/announced by the director de extranjeria (who was the one answering the questions):

recent street raids in sosua: the act of stopping and arresting people that took place in sosua few weeks ago was unauthorized. the person/people responsible are currently under investigation and will be sanctioned. there will be no more raids of that type neither in sosua nor any other location.

tourist card/visa and overstay: current law permits tourists to stay in DR for 30 days. should they want to stay longer they need to apply by a letter to the director of migracion before those 30 days are up. one can apply in a local office but all the applications are processed in SD. the extension is given for another 30 days for as many times as required. those who wish to stay longer can apply for "permanencia de corto plazo" - from 2 to 6 months. again, the application is by the letter addressed to the director of DGM stating the reasons why the extension is required/desired. this type of permit comes in a form of plastic card, similar to the residency. no further info regarding this was given before i left in terms of costs, time it takes to process such request or requirements that need to be fulfilled.

plan nacional de regularizacion: it was explained that the plan was carried out by the ministerio de interior y policia (interior affairs and police). DGM is starting to receive the documents and the paperwork now. they will be the one to process those and proceed with regulating the status of those who qualified, according to the decisions and evaluations taken by the ministerio de interior. that's going to take some time. at this point julio almonte promised to organize another meeting with corresponding authorities in regards to the subject as DGM could not address this issue any further since they were not the body responsible for the process.

definitive residency: it is still being offered for those with more than 10 years of permanent residency in DR. no requirements apart from an application addressed to the director of DGM, cedula, residency and passport. it is valid for 10 years. info currently available on DGM website is incorrect and will be updated accordingly as their computer system is in the process of upgrading. director of extranjeria admitted that it was a mistake on their part.

student visas for short term visitors: those coming to DR for few month to attend language courses should apply for student visa in a dominican consulate in the country of origin, especially if they plan to stay in DR over 60 days.

and that's when i got bored with the subject and exhausted by the attitude of the attendees and left. just to find out after a drive home that miesposo bought me for lunch philly cheese steak sammich with french fries and the ate the fries because he did not want them to become soggy. well, at least i had frank's red hot slammin' sriracha to eat it with. thanks, playero!

maybe someone with more patience than me stayed until the end and can offer more info.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I had the best intentions of going, but then decided, "why?" My migracion status is fine and correct, and as I'm not feeling great love and affection for my fellow humans lately, so me, me, me and I didn't go.

Hope it was informative and helpful for those who did. Would love to hear report. Even my friend Cosette, who holds dual citizenship (DR & US), and is in no danger (or at risk of any overstay fines) was interested in what they might have to say.

It seemed like a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.