Mental Illness

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I know of one young man with some sort of mental illness. On a good day he seems to be functioning well, perhaps due to some meds. He has recently had some really bad days, weeks really where he was not eating and not sure what else. People in the family cannot even describe the symptoms. They just say he is loco. The public hospital said they could do nothing for him, and that he was healthy. Right. Meanwhile the desperate father has been spending every dinero he can put his hands on at the "bruja". The young man seems better now so either the bruja did the trick or whatever is ailing him is episodic. Very sad indeed. And not treated.

B J

Feb 20, 2013
I know of one young man with some sort of mental illness. On a good day he seems to be functioning well, perhaps due to some meds. He has recently had some really bad days, weeks really where he was not eating and not sure what else. People in the family cannot even describe the symptoms. They just say he is loco. The public hospital said they could do nothing for him, and that he was healthy. Right. Meanwhile the desperate father has been spending every dinero he can put his hands on at the "bruja". The young man seems better now so either the bruja did the trick or whatever is ailing him is episodic. Very sad indeed. And not treated.

classic behaviour displayed by those who are mentally ill is as follows
After taking their medication for a period they become well

Then they can say;' i am well i know longer need my medication'. This is a major mistake as current research indicates that once you are diagnosed with Bipolar or schizophrenia you have it for life. After the effect of the medication begins to wear off, their symptoms of illness return. Then they then inevitably can end up in hospital..... AGAIN!!!!!.
Unfortunately medications for even 1 single tablet can be 6-10$us depending on where you live in the world. Many folks with illness need many tablets per day. So you tell me, can a dominican afford these medications that might amount to some $ 20-40us 3 times a day or more?? The only outcome for these people is an eternal existence within their 'psychotic mind'
The next best option for assistance is hospitalisation or social support by family. However if you refuse to take your medications or can not afford to purchase them........ you are up sh!t creek

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
BJ, some medicine for schizophrenia is relatively cheap, farmacias del pueblo now carry really low priced meds as well so the total cost of treatment can be as low as 10 or 20 pesos a day. the problem lies in what you said at the beginning and what i mentioned before, that people actually do not keep on taking the medication because they start to feel better and they see no reason to stick to the regime.

plus, some of those pills are really, really nasty. once i took mirtazapine (part of my ongoing search for migraine treatment) and i was knocked off my feet for 24 hours. i was dizzy, lifeless, i could not stand up straight, walk and perform any daily functions. now, imagine taking something like this every day.

B J

Feb 20, 2013
BJ, some medicine for schizophrenia is relatively cheap, farmacias del pueblo now carry really low priced meds as well so the total cost of treatment can be as low as 10 or 20 pesos a day. the problem lies in what you said at the beginning and what i mentioned before, that people actually do not keep on taking the medication because they start to feel better and they see no reason to stick to the regime.

plus, some of those pills are really, really nasty. once i took mirtazapine (part of my ongoing search for migraine treatment) and i was knocked off my feet for 24 hours. i was dizzy, lifeless, i could not stand up straight, walk and perform any daily functions. now, imagine taking something like this every day.

Mirtazapine is an antidepressant. I am aware of some research indicating the use of a low dose for migraine. Interesting.
For migraines consider the triptan family ....given your profession im sure you are aware. However there is one triptan medication that is NOT available to my knowledge in the dr. ZOMIG Zolmitriptan. I use it. I have the worst of the worst migraines...... it brings about a complete abortment of the migraine. It works for me....however under Doctors advice i take twice the dose =5mg total. it can be purchased in Haiti
I really am unawares of the cost of medication in the DR..... im stunned at the relative 'cheapness'

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think meds in DR are very expensive in general in comparison with poland or even UK. i mentioned in the other thread the cost of sumitriptan in DR, over 1000 pesos compared to 8 pounds (about 500 pesos) in the UK. miesposo takes rosuvastatina, about 50 pesos a pill in DR for the cheapest version and 3 times less in poland. soluble vitamin C costs 25 pesos for two pills, in poland for the same money i can buy a box of 20.

but i digress. the point is that lots of psychotic meds are available in DR over the counter and there are labs and pharmacies selling them at relatively low cost. i have no means of cost comparison because i do not really know anyone taking such medicine in poland or UK. i went to the uni with a girl who's mother was in a psychiatric ward for years because of schizophrenia. then the girl herself had her first attack, was hospitalized and later on continued with the uni, popping pills as ordered. she was always on a budget but she never mentioned that medication was making a dent in her wallet so i assume if must be either cheap or refunded by the insurance company.

health insurance is another issue to consider here. back home my parents have a vary basic government insurance (they are both pensioners). they both take some meds (blood pressure, prostate, that sort of thing) and they pay some really, really low rates, something like 50-100 pesos per box. i know the list of refunded meds is changed every year but basic stuff is always covered... in DR the coverage is limited (from 3k pesos a year to about 8k) and it's usually 80% of the cost. still a lot.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes people with mental problems are in every country and in most they are not cared for by the authorities as tenderly as they should be .. it is always worse in poor countries . I use Micardis 80 to keep my blood pressure down ..is really needed in this country .

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
A very good friend of mines brother is what I consider slightly touched by a mild for of downs if that exists. He is very obviously effected, just the way he carries himself, but on the other side he is a very intelligent person, he is mid forties and just studied and worked all his life, very qualified but he can never land a more than very bottom rate just because of his slight condition (I've never gone into specifics as you can imagine so I'm not even sure it is downs related.

the thing that makes me wonder is that he married a woman with very obvious downs, but she developed very well and actually is a teacher In A santo domingo school, again not earning equally.
these two had a child, he was very touched by downs and is a massive handful, I sometimes take him swimming and he is just impossible, and he also gets a huge amount of hostility by the public because he is boisterous, doesn't know his own strength, slavers quite a bit and all the negatives people might associate.
But then they had another, pretty much knowing there was a good chance she would come out the same, she came out worse and spends most of her day screaming at nothing, she is what I would describe as a huge drain on everything around her, obviously not at her own doings, but this little girl will go throug life having to deal with so so much crap from the heartless nature to this kind of thing here.
but then guess what,they had another, it's difficult to say how he will grow as he's still very young, but again obviously showing signs the others had/have.
i was talking to my buddy the other day down te pool watching these kids and how much they take up, and how it is constant, relentless even annoying, but besides the point, we began discussing if parents knowing they are going to have mentally ill kids should not be more convinced into not having more children, or in fact even forced? Te consensus was that mentally impaired adults should be guided more strongly as the future these kids will have, or be allowed one no then forced to stop.
just saying, on an already stretched society, in every way, would a yo e agree it's a bad place to bring up someone who will be a burden more than an asset?

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
No easy solution. There is a fine line between responsible "breeding" and eugenics. Education is the answer, I think. And hopefully, that impartial education will have the "desired" effect.

My sister should not have been allowed to breed... but it is only my opinion. ;-)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The DR has no facilities for the "Mentally Ill".
I mean, how much would it cost to build facilities for 8 million people??? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
And who could treat them? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"El 28" not included!