Merry xmas! :)

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Very much the same, but usually on the 24TH..Huge dinner, cake like a birthday, then presents for their kids etc..Looks like a Thanksgiving/Christmas Combo if you asked me...well, ya did..;)

On topic, last year was my first xmas here, I normally spend that time of year in my family. Decorated house and balcony, got advent calenders, presents for sobrinos(as), and old folks, made a huge xmas dinner.... u know normal xmas stuff, kids opening presents on the 25th.... it was the first time they have done something like that, so sad!!! They just normally have a family dinner, no presents, no decorations, no xmas spirit.
How do ure dr relatives celebrate xmas ??

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
i'm going to make some pictures later, if we're just in early november and people already starting i'm wondering how it's going to look in december!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
On topic, last year was my first xmas here, I normally spend that time of year in my family. Decorated house and balcony, got advent calenders, presents for sobrinos(as), and old folks, made a huge xmas dinner.... u know normal xmas stuff, kids opening presents on the 25th.... it was the first time they have done something like that, so sad!!! They just normally have a family dinner, no presents, no decorations, no xmas spirit.
How do ure dr relatives celebrate xmas ??

Please STOP this tomfoolery of trying to instill your American or whatever country you come from traditions on The DR. Kids do not open present on Christmas day in The DR, that's what "Dia de Reyes" is for. Why is it sad that kids don't open gifts on Christmas? Are you planning on giving them gifts on january 6th as well, because if you don't that when it will be real sad for them when all the other kids get their gifts and they get none.

In case you didn't know it the tradition is for family to get together on CHRISTMAS EVE and have a nice big dinner. Christmas day itself is more for partying, visiting other relatives, etc...and "Estrenar" - Wear new clothes. I'm sure they think "Crazy gringo wants to give us gifts? Sure we'll take it..."

Sorry don't mean to sound harsh it's just that's one of my pet peeves...I've heard people be "sad" because they don't celebrate Thanksgivings in the DR.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well xmas spirt, is kind of like the time of year when familys get together, time to reflect on interactions between ure relatives.
But there again its a personnal opinion from my xmas childhood, and presents ( giving and recieving ) was an important part of it.
Being brought up in france " reveilloner " would traditionaly be a feast on the 24th in the evening ( perdrix or some other noble volaille ) and oysters and seashells ), but visiting family in scotland as we did every year, we would celebrate xmas on lunch of 25th, with turkey.

So whatever, if xmas was deplaced to the 6 th january ( as some dominicans will tell u ), so be it ( but here in my campo there isnt any presents except thoese from syndico ), I ll feast on the 24th ( my french bit ), on the 25th ( for my british part ), and on the 6th ( for my dr part).
Cheers.

I m not at all religious, but as an european, I feel the weight of our judeo- chretienne history, so yeah I guess we celebrate " X" birthday just over 2000 years ago.Believe or not it is part of our history, and by extension so it is here in dr as well.

Please STOP this tomfoolery of trying to instill your American or whatever country you come from traditions on The DR. Kids do not open present on Christmas day in The DR, that's what "Dia de Reyes" is for. Why is it sad that kids don't open gifts on Christmas? Are you planning on giving them gifts on january 6th as well, because if you don't that when it will be real sad for them when all the other kids get their gifts and they get none.

In case you didn't know it the tradition is for family to get together on CHRISTMAS EVE and have a nice big dinner. Christmas day itself is more for partying, visiting other relatives, etc...and "Estrenar" - Wear new clothes. I'm sure they think "Crazy gringo wants to give us gifts? Sure we'll take it..."

Sorry don't mean to sound harsh it's just that's one of my pet peeves...I've heard people be "sad" because they don't celebrate Thanksgivings in the DR.

I am going to make it my life's mission to try and install all of our North American views, customs and traditions on the Dominican people!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I give my kids their gifts on Christmas day. If you wait until Jan. 6th., they have less time to play with them!
Dominican, "Americano Wannabes", like to celebrate many American holidays.
Especially, "Los Ricos".
Makes them feel even "Richer"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I am going to make it my life's mission to try and install all of our North American views, customs and traditions on the Dominican people!

Harley: It won't take that long. Dominicans are already adapting most of North America's traditions and of course giving them its own twists...Have you been to a Baby Shower in The DR? A bachelorette's party? They're now even having Halloween parties. It's inevitable with the large number of Dominicans living in The US and the second and third generations who were born and raised in The US when they go back to The DR they want to experience some of the stuff they grew up with. Nothing wrong with that, per se...my pet peeve is only about people who feel "so sad that these poor, poor people have never experienced the joy of <Insert word here>"

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
@suzaren, sorry to insist, but sadness is hardly an emotion u contol. Why wouldn it be wrong to feel sorry that my inlaws do not handnout gifts to their children on xmas morning??? U can pretend that tradition would be on the 6th of january here, but 1 that is recent history, 2 offering at xmas reminds us of the 3 kings ( historical if not religious), 3 its kind of part of christianity ( and here in my campo they are all god this, santo that ).
And xmas is hardly an imported tradition, or from avery long time ago.

Anyway they dont givebpresents to their kids on the 6th, the syndico does, so lo siento but I cant help feeling sad on both days.....

Merry xmas and best wishes...