Metro...

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
aegap said:
Mondongo, please tell me how you like your new title: ?The Mondongo Report ? A Central Government Watch Dog?

aegap, that would be an appropriate title of such report...."mondongo" would sum it up nicely...;)

.....with appologies to those who actually enjoy the dish..

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chirimoya said:
According to the press this morning, Leonel has set up an 'ethics committee' for the project - which could mean he's concerned about the amount of criticism the metro is generating. Is this particular con just too blatant, or is it a case of one too many?

Good thing there is total impunity here, because otherwise, from the point of view of the masterminds behind the metro, the consequences of a major tragedy occurring during the construction and/or use of such a metro would be staggering.
I think its more about controlling the criticisms than anything else. Remember, May is coming and there are some seats that need to be replaced in congress.

People here should relax with their criticisms.

The global economy is suppose to collapse within the next few years anyways! This will lead to clearing of all debts, since all nations of the world are currently running on debt, the biggest borrower being the US with over three quarters of the debt being owned by the Chinese, Iranians, and Europeans.

If the Chinese get the itch of becoming the new hegemonic power, all they have to do is dump their American dollars into the international market and voila, the beginning of the end of American dominance. Everyone with the slightest knowledge of history knows too well that hegemonic states overextend themselves and then they die. The US is currently doing this exact thing, plus becoming in denial of the possibility of collapsing under its own weight as I have found many leading Americans feel, and stretches its military too thin to the point of not being able to successfully maintain its hegemonic power and thus, succumb to the new world order from the next most powerful state.

The world is ripped for an international economic crisis ala Great Depression. This does not mean the great depression will occur once again, but it's going to be bad. The baby boomers have turned what was once the greatest country in the world into a time bomb ridden with debt that is now reaching the tip of the ice burg and once it bursts, it will take the entire world with it. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the future generations of Americans are going to willingly accept the exorbitant increase in taxes needed to pay off the accruing interest in the current debt! If they do, they will have nothing left of their personal income!

What does all of this has to do with the DR and the metro? Well, if Santo Domingo is meant to take prominance or a significant role in the regional economy of the Caribbean post-American dominance, it will need to be ready to take a leading economic position in the region. This includes the infrastructure which needs to be relatively advanced in the areas where there is the most production of wealth occurs in order to take prominance over trade routes and potential trading partners in the region once the global system has gone through the "bankruptcy proceedings".

For those of you who don't believe the world is at the brink of calamity, well let's review:

-National debt are spiralling out of control worldwide, each country owes money to each other.

-Personal debt in the world's leading economies is at an all time high and growing.

-The current hegemonic power has its military stretched thin, give the thanks to the invasion of Iraq.

-The world's most powerful nation and largest economy is currently living at the whim of its debtors, primarily China, India, Iran (yes, Iran), and Europe; none of which are thrilled about American foreign policy at the moment.

-Oh yes, and the Kontrative Waves theory has the next few years as years of economic collapse. Why is this important? Well, this theory was created in the 1700 or 1800s and has successfully predicted every single boom and bust cycle in the global economy since then until now. Even the boom of the 1990s has been successfully predicted, it's only natural to heed the possibility that the collapse will also follow as has every single other boom and bust prediction via this medium.

The world economy is currently at the precise moment where a bust could appear. What's needed? One trigger.

No one knows what exactly that trigger will be, but if you ask me I have two words:

Baby Boomers, they are now turning into their 60s and retiring. They have no money in the bank, they bankrupted the largest economy of the world, mortgaged the existence of future generations and now they want to retire. Excuse me if I say, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The last time the global economy collapsed was during WW2, when Britain over extended itself and was bankrupt to the point of not being able to afford a victory. Britain ceased to be the world's hegemonic power, of course the Brits were in denial for many years but it became clear that there was a new world order, headed by their brainchild the US of A. The world economy has been running of the boom from the world wars, during the 1980s onward has been running of debt, and quite frankly the demographic change in developed economies and the increasing cost of not defaulting is going to be too much too soon. Developed economies compose over 80% of all the wealth created in the world, a crack in those economies means.... yes, you got it.

The metro needs to be built and needs to be built now, to wait is to cease the opportunity of becoming regional powers worth mentioning. The DR already has the largest military in the region, some of the largest companies, the largest middle class, strategically located, and capable of dominating trade and commerce in the region.

It's epicenter needs to be ready for such tasks and that epicenter is called Santo Domingo.

-NALs

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
I'm really starting to think lowely of UCONN

If the Chinese get the itch of becoming the new hegemonic power, all they have to do is dump their American dollars into the international market and voila, the beginning of the end of American dominance

WISHFUL THINKING!!!!!!!

I suggest others ignore the rest of that verbose rhetorical diatribe.

NALs favorite hobby seems to be comparing apples with oranges.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
NALs said:
I think its more about controlling the criticisms than anything else. Remember, May is coming and there are some seats that need to be replaced in congress.

People here should relax with their criticisms.

The global economy is suppose to collapse within the next few years anyways! This will lead to clearing of all debts, since all nations of the world are currently running on debt, the biggest borrower being the US with over three quarters of the debt being owned by the Chinese, Iranians, and Europeans.

If the Chinese get the itch of becoming the new hegemonic power, all they have to do is dump their American dollars into the international market and voila, the beginning of the end of American dominance. Everyone with the slightest knowledge of history knows too well that hegemonic states overextend themselves and then they die. The US is currently doing this exact thing, plus becoming in denial of the possibility of collapsing under its own weight as I have found many leading Americans feel, and stretches its military too thin to the point of not being able to successfully maintain its hegemonic power and thus, succumb to the new world order from the next most powerful state.

The world is ripped for an international economic crisis ala Great Depression. This does not mean the great depression will occur once again, but it's going to be bad. The baby boomers have turned what was once the greatest country in the world into a time bomb ridden with debt that is now reaching the tip of the ice burg and once it bursts, it will take the entire world with it. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the future generations of Americans are going to willingly accept the exorbitant increase in taxes needed to pay off the accruing interest in the current debt! If they do, they will have nothing left of their personal income!

What does all of this has to do with the DR and the metro? Well, if Santo Domingo is meant to take prominance or a significant role in the regional economy of the Caribbean post-American dominance, it will need to be ready to take a leading economic position in the region. This includes the infrastructure which needs to be relatively advanced in the areas where there is the most production of wealth occurs in order to take prominance over trade routes and potential trading partners in the region once the global system has gone through the "bankruptcy proceedings".

For those of you who don't believe the world is at the brink of calamity, well let's review:

-National debt are spiralling out of control worldwide, each country owes money to each other.

-Personal debt in the world's leading economies is at an all time high and growing.

-The current hegemonic power has its military stretched thin, give the thanks to the invasion of Iraq.

-The world's most powerful nation and largest economy is currently living at the whim of its debtors, primarily China, India, Iran (yes, Iran), and Europe; none of which are thrilled about American foreign policy at the moment.

-Oh yes, and the Kontrative Waves theory has the next few years as years of economic collapse. Why is this important? Well, this theory was created in the 1700 or 1800s and has successfully predicted every single boom and bust cycle in the global economy since then until now. Even the boom of the 1990s has been successfully predicted, it's only natural to heed the possibility that the collapse will also follow as has every single other boom and bust prediction via this medium.

The world economy is currently at the precise moment where a bust could appear. What's needed? One trigger.

No one knows what exactly that trigger will be, but if you ask me I have two words:

Baby Boomers, they are now turning into their 60s and retiring. They have no money in the bank, they bankrupted the largest economy of the world, mortgaged the existence of future generations and now they want to retire. Excuse me if I say, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The last time the global economy collapsed was during WW2, when Britain over extended itself and was bankrupt to the point of not being able to afford a victory. Britain ceased to be the world's hegemonic power, of course the Brits were in denial for many years but it became clear that there was a new world order, headed by their brainchild the US of A. The world economy has been running of the boom from the world wars, during the 1980s onward has been running of debt, and quite frankly the demographic change in developed economies and the increasing cost of not defaulting is going to be too much too soon. Developed economies compose over 80% of all the wealth created in the world, a crack in those economies means.... yes, you got it.

The metro needs to be built and needs to be built now, to wait is to cease the opportunity of becoming regional powers worth mentioning. The DR already has the largest military in the region, some of the largest companies, the largest middle class, strategically located, and capable of dominating trade and commerce in the region.

It's epicenter needs to be ready for such tasks and that epicenter is called Santo Domingo.

-NALs

Good post! But what is your point about the Baby Boomers, I dont understand what you mean by it. Baby Boomers are the weathiest generation in America.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
aegap said:
WISHFUL THINKING!!!!!!!

I suggest others ignore the rest of that verbose rhetorical diatribe.

NALs favorite hobby seems to be comparing apples with oranges.
The DR's well being is directly depended on the US well being.

Anything that threatens the well being of the US by default threatens the DR.

How is this a comparison of apples with oranges?

-NALs

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
If the Chinese get the itch of becoming the new hegemonic power by taking into full consideration your prescribed advice, the United States' economy would be hurt. But the Chinese economy would be forever destroyed!!!!

I am not going to elaborate any further as anyone with a hint of international economics should be able to discern how rediculous such (your) statments sound.

It also does not pertain to this thread.

Check/Recheck the economic numbers. stupide (I really do hope UCONN teaches such a thing).

*in jest

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"SOME" People Just Like To Hear Themselves Speak! Make That "POST"!

Even if their response is some long winded attempt to confuse the issue and appear/sound "Academic"!!
The response in no way responds to the basic question as to weather Santo Domingo can "afford", support,or maintain a "Metro".The simple answers are, "No!","No!",and "HELL NO!!!!"
So if "Nalws" wants to continue to "surf the net" to come up with "Gobledigook" that is in no way pertinent to the theme at hand,that is his right! Does make him look a little foolish however!! At least in my "HUMBLE OPINION"!:paranoid:

Guess that's why "U-Conn." is a Basketball Powerhouse,not a "Hotbed Of Economic Intellect"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Monster,

Baby Boomers are also the brightest bunch, by billions, of people in the entire whole widy wipiddy wide world.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
monster said:
Good post! But what is your point about the Baby Boomers, I dont understand what you mean by it. Baby Boomers are the weathiest generation in America.
Half of baby boomers don't have adequate savings to live the life of comfort they have grown accustomed to.

The younger generations coming into the workforce (generation x and y (the y's are known as the entitlement generation for obvious reasons)) are not big enough to supply government tax revenue to fund public pensions and social security, etc.

Debt of the United States per capita is very high at the moment and rising. The baby boomers are starting to reach retirement age beginning this year.

Now think about this for a moment.

Much of the debt (in fact 66%) has been created since 1990 to the tune of around $40 trillion! A significant portion of this debt is owned by Chinese, Japanese, European, Indian, and others.

What is the problem with all of this?

It's the "feel good" problem. Basically, many Americans feel that the country will remain wealthy at least until their lives are over. This feeling has been created by the perpetual economic boom since the world wars, particularly the exceptional boom of the 1990s, the best economic decade the US has ever experienced. Prior to this decade, the economy was a roller coaster ride of exceptional booms and tragic busts (similar to the recent cycle the DR economy went through). However, since WW2 the boom has simply grown and grown, with a few soft years, but in general growing to astronomical figures.

This moment of "feel good" leads to economic collapse because much of the society believes that wealth and prosperity will last forever and life is good. Similar to the roaring 1920s, the only problem was that day in December of 1929 when the party was over.

The biggest fear among economists is that everything is relative. This global increase in wealth, albeit has not been equally distributed, has been astronomical and this could mean a severe collapse afterwards. This follows right along the Kontratiev Waves theory, which has predicted every boom and bust since its creation to the present day with such an accuracy that its almost unreal, but it is, the proof being the economic performance since the theory was created and how close the theory has been to the real outcome.

All of this ties with the baby boomers because they need all the perks the US has promised them and predecessors since WW2. The problem is that not a single soul alive today knows how on earth will such massive number of retired people will receive the benefits they have been promised.

Combine this with the mortgaging of the future wealth of the US and the priority of government is not it's own citizens, but rather paying off the debt. This means heavy taxation on the much smaller younger generations, whom themselves have no recollection what a real depression is, and thus feel that everything will always turn out for the better. This leads to missing the opportunities of actually taking control of the situation until the collapse has arrived.

Much of the global wealth in existence today has been built on debt. The problem with debt is that once you become overextended, you won't be able to pay back the debtor. It's no big deal if this happens to a small unimportant economy, but if most economies of the world go through this at the same time and/or the largest economy of the world goes through this, it is a big deal.

Basically, the problem of the baby boomers it that they have been riding on a prosperity built on debt. This prosperity has spawn development of all kinds worldwide and things appear to be coming full circle.

Look, every person with the slightest amount of wealth and understanding of global economic functions and history is living with his/her heart on his hands at the moment. The requirements for a collapse are appearing not just in the US, but in the global economy as well.

Some people accept this reality based on what has occured in the past and attempt to warn the decision makers of the consequences their prosperity via debt will bring and others are in denial. Just like has occured multiple times in history.

All of this affects the DR greatly given that over 80% of the economy is directly influenced by the United States.

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
aegap said:
Nals Verbose Rhetorical Diatribe, take two.
I thought Dominicans were the only one's who could not take criticisms!

Interesting.

-NALs:pirate:

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
NALs said:
The global economy is suppose to collapse within the next few years anyways! .... It's epicenter needs to be ready for such tasks and that epicenter is called Santo Domingo.

-NALs

Interesting rhetorics, but I think CC is right, Santo Domingo might not afford to become the centre of the Caribbean by building Metros and speculating on the fall of US hegemony. Defending local policies like a Metro by arguments of very long-term macro-economics is fun for the sake of arguing, but makes no sense. China overtaking World leadership from the US might just as well never happen anyway; in the 1980s/90s many thought Japan would push the US hegemony into oblivion; that did not happen. The Brits were hegemonic for two subsequent cycles, the US might happily go for another small century, although the current debt does indeed look kind of scary. All this will not matter much for the Caribbean; even if the US is overtaken by China, or the EU or India or whatever, it will still remain a regional power and most influential power in that part of the world, including the Dominican Republic (like Russia has lost all pretence of Cold War world superpower but still is the most influential power for countries like those in Central Asia).
By the way, its Kondratieff, not Kontrative.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
NALs said:
I thought Dominicans were the only one's who could not take criticisms!

Interesting.

-NALs:pirate:

ughh(?):confused:

How is an indebting metro in DR's suppose "epicenter" suppose to help DR during a whole widy wipiddy wide world wide economy economic collapse, Nals?

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
qgrande said:
Interesting rhetorics, but I think CC is right, Santo Domingo might not afford to become the centre of the Caribbean by building Metros and speculating on the fall of US hegemony. Defending local policies like a Metro by arguments of very long-term macro-economics is fun for the sake of arguing, but makes no sense. China overtaking World leadership from the US might just as well never happen anyway; in the 1980s/90s many thought Japan would push the US hegemony into oblivion; that did not happen. The Brits were hegemonic for two subsequent cycles, the US might happily go for another small century, although the current debt does indeed look kind of scary. All this will not matter much for the Caribbean; even if the US is overtaken by China, or the EU or India or whatever, it will still remain a regional power and most influential power in that part of the world, including the Dominican Republic (like Russia has lost all pretence of Cold War world superpower but still is the most influential power for countries like those in Central Asia).
By the way, its Kondratieff, not Kontrative.
As always, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

While its true that Russia still has some power, the UK is more like a former bull that has been castrated, becoming as docile as a cow compared to how it was before.

The US resembles more pre-world walrs UK than it ever did Russia in terms of global political, economic, and military power.

The issue of US maintaining regional power is very real. However, the vacuum a collapse of a single global hegemon creates for a period of time, allowing for aspiring powers to basically initiate their campaigns of gaining ifluence, power, and control of the subjects they wish upon. This period of anarchy is the time any country aspiring to become a regional power could take advantage, because with this period of no predominating hegemon, a country can invade another with no international community interfering.

This is more of what I was referring to.

-NALs

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
NALs said:
A the UK is more like a former bull that has been castrated, becoming as docile as a cow compared to how it was before.

...and sadly, the bollocks seem to have ended up in this thread.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Chirimoya said:
...and sadly, the bollocks seem to have ended up in this thread.

hehehe:laugh:

His economic side tired-

-Don't be so hard on the flinging of his poetic one.

Last edited: