Mi Suegra Dominicana

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
As I resurrect this thread, I am reminded of one thing that my mother in law does not do, and that is hisssssss at babies to get their attention. That drives me crazy- I think because part of my brain associates it with a cat call, maybe? But the cultural practice of hissing at babies is something I will never get used to. And I'm very grateful this isn't a habit of mi suegra.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Fish Recipe for Matilda

My husband says today that this is a very typical dish, "Pescado con Coco"- news to me? He told me to google, and although I found a very common Dominican Coconut fish recipe, none of them are the same as this. I haven't made it so this recipe is based on observing him make it today. So he tells me tsp/tbsp and I estimated the amounts for most of this. I think it will work for you, but some tweaks might be necessary.

We used supermarket Tilapia or cod fillets, but when at home, mi suegra uses fresh dorado or red snapper apparently.

Ingredients:

5-6 Fish Fillets
1 tbsp of the green homemade sauce I mentioned previously * optional (we ran out and it works quite well without it)... Is this like pureed adobo? I think not.
3 tbsp lime juice
3 tsp garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp Sazon Completo
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 tomato * optional (or a handful of cherry tomatoes)
1 red onion
2-3 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of tomato paste or tomato sauce
2 cups (or 1 can) of coconut milk
1 tsp cilantro *optional

1. Set fish in a bowl, mix together 1-2 tbsp. lime juice, 1 tsp garlic, green homemade sauce, Sazon Completo, and oregano and pour onto fish. Cover and set aside.

2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red onion, tomato, and peppers. Cook until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes or so. Add remaining 2 tsp. garlic and cook about 30 seconds- 1 minute.

3. Stir tomato paste/sauce into pan; cook 5 minutes more. Add coconut milk and bring coconut mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer stirring occasionally, until coconut mixture begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.

4. Add fish and cook. Remove fish and set aside.

5. Return sauce in pan to simmer over medium heat. Add a little more lime juice, and 1 tsp. cilantro (if you want- he leaves it out, but suegra adds it only sometimes) Simmer about 5 more minutes, until sauce thickens to cream-like consistency. Suegra serves it with rice but we prefer it with mashed potatoes. The sauce is like a gravy...so delicious.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Glad you know the green sauce. I think she uses a lot of oregano in hers. She has a huge plant in her back garden and when she makes the sauce the plant nearly disappears. I want to try the Moqueca manana! We will have it Thanksgiving Saturday with some plantains and rice, and then our traditional turkey on Sunday.