Migration Announcement:No Cash for Overstay Fee

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bear in mind that this is only at Punta Cana and La Romana airports, effective November 1.

You can still pay with cash at all the other airports, at least for now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Foreign currency payment by credit card or debit card incur hefty commission and exchange rate rip off, expect a good increase on what we used to pay with cash..., but I guess no more cash disappearing in the side pockets...!
You're using the wrong card.... mine are free foreign transactions and give a great rate.
So great, I always choose to be billed in the local currency and let the bank do the exchange

I'm sure I'm not alone

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Oh great can someone say something about how everyone is going to need to get residency soon instead of paying the exit fee and then we can have another 55 pages of beating that old dog
I'm starting my renewal next week. I can send you a play by play account of what is happening :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
You're using the wrong card.... mine are free foreign transactions and give a great rate.
So great, I always choose to be billed in the local currency and let the bank do the exchange

I'm sure I'm not alone
You will save 4 to 8% depending on how bad the mechants machine screws you on exchange rates. Always pick the local currency

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You will save 4 to 8% depending on how bad the mechants machine screws you on exchange rates. Always pick the local currency
Is it not the credit card company that decides on the fees for transactions in general, and then they might add a separate foreign transaction fee depending upon the card company, and the FOREX rate, and not the individual merchants you purchase from who set these fees. such as when paying the exit fine for illegal overstays?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My card is CHASE....... they convert the currency fairly.........bank rate, not Playero rate
That is good to know in case I ever need to use a credit card here. I just got a Chase Sapphire card because it covers the CDW when renting cars while my Citibank AAdvantage card had dropped that feature around the time the Wuhan Flu appeared and never bothered to point that out. The Chase card also has a somewhat valuable way of using rewards points and other valuable traveler's benefits. It is highly recommended.

The best ATM card I have found on recommendations from those here is the Charles Schwab card because it refunds ATM fees
and generally provides a better FOREX rate than Caribe Express or Western Union

It is my understanding that the card company is the one that sets the fees, if there is a foreign transaction fee on top of the basic fee, and what FOREX rate is used and it has nothing to do with the vendor.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
That is good to know in case I ever need to use a credit card here. I just got a Chase Sapphire card because it covers the CDW when renting cars while my Citibank AAdvantage card had dropped that feature around the time the Wuhan Flu appeared and never bothered to point that out. The Chase card also has a somewhat valuable way of using rewards points and other valuable traveler's benefits. It is highly recommended.

The best ATM card I have found on recommendations from those here is the Charles Schwab card because it refunds ATM fees

It is my understanding that the card company is the one that sets the fees, if there is a foreign transaction fee on top of the basic fee, and what FOREX rate is used and it has nothing to do with the vendor.
Fidelity does the exact same thing.

Reactions: windeguy

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

If you choose the local currency, it's the card issuer that sets the exchange rate ( visa, Mastercard, etc ....) + whatever your own banks charges ( nothing, a % or a fixed fee ).

However if you choose your own currency on the payment terminal, than it's the terminal payment operator that applies the exchange rate...... And of course they will rob you blind.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017

I interpreted the post to mean that the CC processor deducts a commission from the vendor deposits. So whereas before with cash, the vendor will get 2,000 gross, by only accepting credit cards they will receive less than the 2,000 after the CC processor nets out the commission.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy
Have a look at the Chase Quest card
This one? I despise United Airlines and use them only as a last resort.

The Chase Sapphire is one of the best rated cards for those that travel and was also recommended by a banker who is a family member.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have never paid an overstay nor used PUJ

I wonder if the agents there encouraged cash payments ?
Why would the gov't apply this just to PUJ ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have never paid an overstay nor used PUJ

I wonder if the agents there encouraged cash payments ?
Why would the gov't apply this just to PUJ ?

Not only PUJ, La Romana too. Maybe starting where there are less “offenders”? I’d bet Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo have more overstayers. Not sure about Santiago.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Oh great can someone say something about how everyone is going to need to get residency soon instead of paying the exit fee and then we can have another 55 pages of beating that old dog
Just renewed mine for another 4 years. Easy peasy!!!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005

I'm sure I'm not alone

I have the same from UK from some years ago , but it's no longer available from this bank, not often we can find free commission and no exchange rate overload cards these days, well, I know of UK...

Should agree my comment apply to majority of those who end up paying this fee by credit card, because most don't have such cards with good rates...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have the same from UK from some years ago , but it's no longer available from this bank, not often we can find free commission and no exchange rate overload cards these days, well, I know of UK...

Should agree my comment apply to majority of those who end up paying this fee by credit card, because most don't have such cards with good rates...

Revolut ?