Migration denies children are being deported with their parents staying behind

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Deprtacion-de-Menores-Presidencia-1024x574.png

The director of the Migration Agency (DGM) Venancio Alcántara denied a recent CNN release that said that among the recent deportations are children separated from their parents.

Alcantara said among the 150,000 foreigners deported to their countries since 2020, when the government changed, there are no cases of minors separated from their parents.

“At all times and in compliance with the laws of the Dominican Republic and international treaties, all deportations are carried out in total and absolute respect for the dignity of persons and their human rights,” Venancio Alcantara, director general of Migration is quoted in a press release.

He emphasizes that “there are specific procedures when minors are involved in the process. At all times the minors are with their parents and, when these have not been located, the minors are referred directly to the National...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I don't doubt they have deported kids, but keep in mind that some of these cases are unaccompanied minors. Haitians sometimes send their kids off to the DR alone for "better life", but the ones who bring them are often smugglers and human traffickers, who exploit them for all sorts of purposes: forced begging and labor, sex with tourists, you name it.
I was doing some research for a university project, and a prosecutor told me that CONANI collaborates with an equivalent organization in Haiti to help reunite children back to their families.

Reactions: JD Jones and Gadfly