Military shakedown

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Ok. This is getting annoying. The military is out in force today at the exit to La Romana again - and now the entrance, also. To the autovia. At least four with a truck at the exit, and at least six at the entry with truck. With cars stopped, pulled over. They were all busy, so I just drove on by, but makes me wonder, this substantial presence. There were more today than before, and I suspect there was a higher ranking officer present, with all the additional soldiers. This is not policia nacional, this is military.

Sep 22, 2009
Ok. This is getting annoying. The military is out in force today at the exit to La Romana again - and now the entrance, also. To the autovia. At least four with a truck at the exit, and at least six at the entry with truck. With cars stopped, pulled over. They were all busy, so I just drove on by, but makes me wonder, this substantial presence. There were more today than before, and I suspect there was a higher ranking officer present, with all the additional soldiers. This is not policia nacional, this is military.

And sometimes they are just doing a traffic stop looking for folks with out of date marbete, folks carrying arms with no license, etc. it's very common all over the place. Where it's dangerous is when they are halfway down a side street in the capital. There you will most likely be required to produce some funds. as always, in any situation, a tip for service and protection is "ok".

if you don't want to gamble, stay out of Vegas.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

May I ask which nation you originate from?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I was only stopped a few times - once on the Samana highway when it was new. There was a practice then - and probably still is now - to have one cop car on the side of the highway and then another one further down which would flag you over and report that you were registered on radar as going over the speed limit. Which most of us were. Since it is a gorgeous road and Tempting to put the pedal to the Metal. Then the cop explains - while perhaps pretending to start writing the ticket - that, of course, you May Have To Show Up in Court in Order to Pay the Fine '' and after being told that it is 500 pesos - delivered into his hand.. you were free to go onto the expensive little town of Las Terrenas.

I expect this practice has stopped now that so many Capitaleanos have condos up there.

Up by the border - even just outside Santiago - there are CesFront police who do regular stops to check for Haitians. I used to have a regular beat there - was at least known at Elias Pina- and used to travel with my prescription pass slung over the rear view mirror - which always got me quickly flagged on.

Once I was just traveling with a nephew, who was driving and a cop flagged us down, had him roll down the window. My nephew was FROZEN in fear (he a Grown Man) - and I just sorta reached over him and smiled at the guy - explained I lived in SD, we were just visitng the beautiful countryside, .. etc.. etc..

Another time, a cop flagged me down coming off the ramp into the Zone Colonial - in from Samana - I just Hit The Gas -- He was Amet, I think.

I would think it would be Terrifying to Be Stopped by the MILITARY???

THAT certainly has to stop.

Sounds a bit like Guatemala.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
May I ask which nation you originate from?

You may. U.S. But, I have been here for eight years most of the time. My wife is Dominican and we have two children. We have a house in La Romana where my wife's mother also lives, in an apartment separate. We also have a place at the beach, so I, or we, go to the beach and it is when arriving back to La Romana that I encounter these guys.

If you can explain what they are doing, or anything else useful, I appreciate it.

I am mainly trying not to get into a long conversation with them because I don't know how it will turn out. As I say in the posts above, the first time they waved me over, they just asked if everything is ok? Then asked for money. I told them I don't have anything (money) to give them and left. I did not want to give them something for nothing. The second time they were more aggressive and I gave the guy 200 pesos and he was fine with it. So, the purpose was money for him more than anything else.

I speak Spanish about half what I would like, so I can converse with them, but not perfect by any means. I am not doing anything wrong and they should just let me pass. I have documents for the car, etc. And, don't look like a criminal, much. Jjj.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
And sometimes they are just doing a traffic stop looking for folks with out of date marbete, folks carrying arms with no license, etc. it's very common all over the place. Where it's dangerous is when they are halfway down a side street in the capital. There you will most likely be required to produce some funds. as always, in any situation, a tip for service and protection is "ok".

if you don't want to gamble, stay out of Vegas.

Right. My wife told after the first time that I should give them something. Minimal. Otherwise they might be "frio" with me later. The thing is, I did not expect to see the same guys again, and they will not very likely ever be anywhere that I need help from the military. But, you never know. So, for that, I gave the guy 200 pesos the next time. I understand all that. About the money. Pay. Etc. But, there is the intimidation factor. They have weapons and I don't. But, they should not think everyone is just going to roll over because of it. Read some of the other responses people post here sometimes. Record them with cell phone, etc. That, I am not going to do.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
You may. U.S. But, I have been here for eight years most of the time. My wife is Dominican and we have two children. We have a house in La Romana where my wife's mother also lives, in an apartment separate. We also have a place at the beach, so I, or we, go to the beach and it is when arriving back to La Romana that I encounter these guys.

If you can explain what they are doing, or anything else useful, I appreciate it.

I am mainly trying not to get into a long conversation with them because I don't know how it will turn out. As I say in the posts above, the first time they waved me over, they just asked if everything is ok? Then asked for money. I told them I don't have anything (money) to give them and left. I did not want to give them something for nothing. The second time they were more aggressive and I gave the guy 200 pesos and he was fine with it. So, the purpose was money for him more than anything else.

I speak Spanish about half what I would like, so I can converse with them, but not perfect by any means. I am not doing anything wrong and they should just let me pass. I have documents for the car, etc. And, don't look like a criminal, much. Jjj.

No, I can not speak first hand of what their particular operation entailed, because I do not possess this information. I do know that quite often military patrols supplement the regular PN in terms of specific operations.

As it may concern or instill fear in certain types of expatriots, it is actually quite the opposite for native born Dominicans who are pressuring the government to eradicate the crime wave inflicting certain locales in any way, shape or form possible. Including, but not limited to, exterminating the germs that are plaguing parts of the nation.

As a resident, you are surely aware of what is occurring in other parts of the nation.

As well, no this is not Guatemala, but the RD also does not want to become Guatemala. It is also not the US of A, Canada, or Norway. It is the RD.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
No, I can not speak first hand of what their particular operation entailed, because I do not possess this information. I do know that quite often military patrols supplement the regular PN in terms of specific operations.

As it may concern or instill fear in certain types of expatriots, it is actually quite the opposite for native born Dominicans who are pressuring the government to eradicate the crime wave inflicting certain locales in any way, shape or form possible. Including, but not limited to, exterminating the germs that are plaguing parts of the nation.

As a resident, you are surely aware of what is occurring in other parts of the nation.

As well, no this is not Guatemala, but the RD also does not want to become Guatemala. It is also not the US of A, Canada, or Norway. It is the RD.

Claro. It is not Norway, nor the U.S. Understand, La Romana where I am much of the time, is not much of a tourist town. It is the RD. There have been incidents on the very street where we live, muchacho con pistola, etc. Even though it is not a bad neighborhood. So, I understand. And, appreciate PN rounding up the vermin. On the other hand, I am also aware that I might be treated differently because I am an extranjero. I can be anywhere in the world, but I am here. If things get too uncomfortable, or if more weeds arrive in the sea, I go : )

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Claro. It is not Norway, nor the U.S. Understand, La Romana where I am much of the time, is not much of a tourist town. It is the RD. There have been incidents on the very street where we live, muchacho con pistola, etc. Even though it is not a bad neighborhood. So, I understand. And, appreciate PN rounding up the vermin. On the other hand, I am also aware that I might be treated differently because I am an extranjero. I can be anywhere in the world, but I am here. If things get too uncomfortable, or if more weeds arrive in the sea, I go : )

PM me. We'll talk.