Minibus wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Well, I'm afraid we don't qualify as gente, then. That was 6 million pesos, was it, you didn't put a comma instead of a full stop?!!!!! I would have thought the only people qualifying then might be the politicians and I don't see many of them driving school buses in their spare time... We certainly don't qualify on any of those counts.

Thanks for the suggestion, Acira, but if we take on the extra passengers it would be every day and if you have to start hiring vehicles it really doesn't pay at all.

Last edited:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Well, I'm afraid we don't qualify as gente, then. That was 6 million pesos, was it, you didn't put a comma instead of a full stop?!!!!! I would have thought the only people qualifying then might be the politicians and I don't see many of them driving school buses in their spare time... We certainly don't qualify on any of those counts.

Thanks for the suggestion, Acira, but if we take on the extra passengers it would be every day and if you have to start hiring vehicles it really doesn't pay at all.

I hope you are conscious of the fact that I posted the "gente" remark JOKINGLY.

To get those rates, you have to have an above average employment here in the DR, with a known company. Have personal references, maybe family who has serviced similar loans satisfactorily and are thus of a similar "well to do" back ground.
It may seem unjust and giving only those who DO have money, access to even more money. But that's EVERYwhere... only that HERE, payment moral is traditionally even lower than where many of us come from and the ability to reach the debtor and take "something" often limited to the good ol' rut of breaking limbs.
But yes, it is usually very difficult for foreigners to get those rates. After all, it has become evident to many locals, that some expats are here exactly because they owe too much where they came from :D. It is very difficult to establish a reputation and financial record of stability for expats too.
HOWEVER, as a member of a transport union, you may very well have unfettered access to subsidized programs made available to them, whether you are a foreigner or not.

... J-D.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Linda my friend Luis is selling his minibus, his phone number is 809-890-5072.
This minibus in the pic. was mine but his is the same vehicle and it is still in good shape we got them thru the drivers union FETAXI from CONATRA in 2003.
$250,000. plus 6 payments due = $280,000. and he might get a trade for your Toyota Corolla.
DominicanRepublic506.jpg

JJ

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
You are an absolute star, Bachata. My husband will contact him in the next hour....he's transporting children at the moment! By the way, although I'm a foreigner, he's Dominican so may have a better chance with the contacts, but we really weren't planning on buying anything new, even if we did qualify as "gente"....and I am ashamed to say I didn't realise you were joking, JD, call me naive! I can be pretty dense at times.

Thanks once again for all your help...as you can see, I need it!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Call the radio dispatcher Taxi co. I heard that the minibus drivers are struggling right now.
try calling Emi taxi Santiago (809-583-3000) I was told that some of the minibus drivers want to switch to regular car as the big number of minibus units in this company, all the vehicles in this co. are in good shape
I'm pretty sure that you will get a trade of your car for a minibus very easy as it is a Toyota Corolla.

JJ

JJ you drove for EMI taxi? I use them guys a lot. They have a stand by the park by Iglesia Altagracia and I d go over there and hop one, nicely.
Here a "bus" I bought last week
http://images.automotive.com/reviews/images/p94beau.gif

Last edited:

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
JJ you drove for EMI taxi? I use them guys a lot. They have a stand by the park by Iglesia Altagracia and I d go over there and hop one, nicely.
[/URL]
I drove for Tecni, Servi,Monumental but most of the time I did it for Apolo.
One of the reasons Dominican want to come to US is because here vehicles are affordable for poor people, here in US you can buy a second hand minivan in good shape for three thousand Dollars.
I can make with a thousand Dollar buying one with the engine down I don't pay more than $250. bucks for a motor.
in DR no way!!! any junk will cost you an eye of your face.
I sold a 1992 Toyota Camry station Wagon for $180,000 two and a half years ago.

JJ

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
That van I posted? I paid $850US for that thing. And most of the work it need, simple stuff, I did last week. 3 cans of R134a, vacuum leaks on the climate control. Stereo and a window. Only with 92,000 miles.
But alot of time you guys are lying about what cars cost here. I got a friend who works for the Social Security in RD and someone told her she can get a 2007 Toyota Matrix for $3000. Jajajaja! No. She can get a 1997 Toyota Corolla DX wagon for that amount.

Go to supercarros and get disappointed. ALL of those cars are garbage.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I never say to my Dominican friends that Toyota cars are cheap here in US, here you will find a lot Dodge or Ford vehicles in the junk yards but Toyotas and Hondas most of the time are exported to other countries in one piece or in parts.

JJ

Last edited:

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
? Now you guys are really losing me lol.
Just research in this forum about the rules and taxes at the Dominican customs.
Cars no more than five years are aloud to enter Dominican territory, that is the reason for what all those junks are so expensive over there.

Racer bought his minibus for that price but he can't ship it to DR.

JJ

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Jajaja! Not really a minibus in DR terms, a full size 12 passenger church van with a Chevy 5.7L 350 in it. And to be true, I was looking for one with a 7.4L 454 in it, I found one in New Jersey. A red Suburban but the people never returned my phone call. I m longing for a road trip now. Hows the weather in North Carolina?

A minibus could never satisfy me like a V8 could. No me gusta los 4 cilindros, aun con turbos tampoco...

And as many trips as I have taken up and down I-95, Toyota was the most frequent car you see by the side of the road with the hood up. Maybe people over estimate their road worthiness and neglect basic maintenance? Who knows?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The weather is good now, no too hot like it was two weeks ago. The reason of so many Toyotas in the side of the road is that most of those cars are 10 and more years old. If you pay attention will notice that most of theses car drivers are Hispanic immigrants especially Dominicans, Mexicans love Nissan the poorest social class here in the US. Native American are professional in a big percent and are the one who buy the new cars.
It is sad for me any time I go to LKQ junk yard and I see the cars that people trash here in US when I think about all mobile junks we have in DR.
Eso debiera darle verguensa a nuestro presidente y pudiera dejar entrar carros de por lo menos 10 anos para los pobres puedan cambiar esas chatarras ya que un carro del 2000 aqui en US es una nave alla en DR y no cuesta mas de US $2000.

JJ

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Hi Again,
Just wanted to let the people who have been helping know that the search is over. Finally found something close to home belonging to the friend of a friend of a friend.

Overpriced by US standards but when things are in short supply (at least anything half worth buying) it becomes a sellers' market...and that's without the gringa putting in an appearance.

Anyway, we are satisfied, but still have the Toyota Corolla for sale. If anyone is interested, please PM me. Also, if anyone needs school transport in the Sabaneta/Cabarete/Sosua area, likewise. Special rate for DR1ers lol (I hope this isn't an illicit post!).

Thanks for all your help....really proved once again how this network pulls together to offer assistance.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Good to heard you finally got it... Now the seller's market will be yours trying to sell your Toyota Corolla over price too.
What is the year of your "Corolita" ?

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I just researched from 1993 thru 1997 Toyota Corolla (same body) in supercarro.com and there is not one for sell.
When I started on business delivering tourist from STI in 2004 I was force to switch from my small 1997 "Corolita" to a minibus same like you are doing now. I bought this car in 2003 for RD # 210,000 and sold it for RD $ 280,000. Same year we bought a 1990 in RD $ 90,000. and sold two years later for $ 120,000. them we bought a Toyota Camry Station Wagon 1992 in $ 140,000. and sold it two years later in $ 165,000.
Have in mind that when you invest your money in Toyota vehicles in DR you will have your money and some profits when you need it.
When I sold my Kia minibus it was a different story, it was hard to find a buyer and I loose a big amount of money.

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.