Minister of Public Health: DR spends RD$10 billion on health care for Haitians

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Daniel-Rivera-Diario-Libre-e1669290492377.png

Public Health Minister Daniel Rivera said on 23 November 2022 that the government expects it will spend RD$10 billion this year to care for Haitian patients at public hospitals. The expenditure is 14% of the resources available for public hospital services in the country. Rivera said that despite the large amount, the government has never denied care to needy Haitians.

The data was provided by Dr. Mario Lama, director of the National Health Service that groups public hospitals. “By our planning, it is calculated, if there are no variations, that it will be 10 billion this year,” he said.

Most of the funds are allocated to the birthing of Haitians and neonatal care, around RD$6 billion. Yet, Dr. Lama said billions are spent to care for Haitian nationals suffering from HIV, cancer, injured in fights, traffic accidents, among other circumstances.

He explained the 14%...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I suppose this shows the level of need of these poor people and I am glad that the DR is acting in a charitable way. I imagine the contribution to the DR economy by the Haitian people by providing extremely cheap labour is many times more than the cost of their medical treatment.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I suppose this shows the level of need of these poor people and I am glad that the DR is acting in a charitable way. I imagine the contribution to the DR economy by the Haitian people by providing extremely cheap labour is many times more than the cost of their medical treatment.

"I imagine the contribution to the DR economy by the Haitian people by providing extremely cheap labor is many times more than the cost of their medical treatment."

I wouldn't bet on that, but wouldn't it be great if there was some way to quantify that?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Haitian construction workers and agricultural workers generally make the same wages or close to the same as Dominicans doing the same jobs.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Haitian construction workers and agricultural workers generally make the same wages or close to the same as Dominicans doing the same jobs.
But they aren't affiliated to social security, have the right to unionize, take vacations of receive severance pay if booted out. Those are the real bottomlines that the businessmen/oligarchs/politicians are stealing for themselves by their employment here.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
But they aren't affiliated to social security, have the right to unionize, take vacations of receive severance pay if booted out. Those are the real bottomlines that the businessmen/oligarchs/politicians are stealing for themselves by their employment here.
Don't have the right to*
Or receive*