Ministry of Education issues new guidelines for private schools

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Ministerio-de-Educacion-CDN-e1602162462632.jpg

The Ministry of Education has overhauled the requirements for the operation of private schools.

Many of the rulings affect new schools. For instance, the procedures manual establishes that the neighborhood must agree with the opening of the school.

Susana Michelle, in charge of Private Schools at the Ministry of Education, told Diario Libre that the new guidelines are part of an initiative to consolidate procedures regarding private schools.

Diario Libre reports that in 2022, the Ministry of Education records indicate there were 2,738 private schools in operation. The Ministry of Education says that of these, 1,484 operate with irregularities.

Read more in Spanish:Ministry of Education – Private School Procedures...

[url=https://dr1.com/news/2022/10/13/ministry-of-education-issues-new-guidelines-for-private-schools/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I think this is the new Education Minister taking the bull by the horns.

He was criticizing the previous minister a few days ago for purchasing thousands of school desks and paying 20% down on them every year for the last 5-6 years ago, but yet Education has not received one yet.

• Wow
Reactions: AlaPlaya

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

He was criticizing the previous minister a few days ago for purchasing thousands of school desks and paying 20% down on them every year for the last 5-6 years ago, but yet Education has not received one yet.
But that has nothing to do with private schools. The school ministry constantly monitors our school, but the changes will not affect us, we just adapt to whatever stupidness the government throws at us. Private schools are easier to tackle that the public school system. No unions to deal with.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
But that has nothing to do with private schools. The school ministry constantly monitors our school, but the changes will not affect us, we just adapt to whatever stupidness the government throws at us. Private schools are easier to tackle that the public school system. No unions to deal with.
they are low hanging fruit

Reactions: NanSanPedro

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Actually, they received 27,000 desks out of the 200,000 plus they ordered and paid for.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
We have begun the process to become a private school. Already, we have received misinformation from the local district. To stay on top of the process and them, we downloaded and printed the manual for private schools. I will say, so far, the process has not been painful.
So you would change from being a charity to a business?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Actually, they received 27,000 desks out of the 200,000 plus they ordered and paid for.
Interesting. I was watching the new Minister yesterday and he emphasized he has not received a single one. Perhaps he was referring to one supplier in particular.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Perhaps links to the sources of the information you and Bob are referring to would give us something to start with ;)

Even the source of who was reporting, what station or whatever.

I believe it's even in the "rules"...

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Perhaps links to the sources of the information you and Bob are referring to would give us something to start with ;)

Even the source of who was reporting, what station or whatever.

I believe it's

If you are going to be passive-aggressive with your comments then at least get your facts straight.

Neither JD nor Bob broke any rules since they did not directly quote a source. They could have given a link as an option to wherever they got their info from but that would be as a courtesy. Now if they directly quoted from a link then they must cite the source.

Now, if you have something to contribute to this thread then be my guest. If not, stay away from it.

Do not bother responding to me in this thread unless you are looking for an extended vacation from DR1.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Aug 21, 2007
So you would change from being a charity to a business?
No. The colegio will be part of the non-profit. We could never afford being just a Colegio in Jamao, especially at the level that we function. We need donors to support us with materials, books (as you all on dr1 did), and funding to help offset the cost of teachers and facilities.

Jamao is poor. At the rate we are functioning right now, without support from the non-profit, we would have to charge a monthly tuition of $250 USD to each child. And that is with me working as a full time volunteer administrator/teacher.

Several schools in Cabarete and Sosua charge much, much more than that, but their students are children of ex-pats and wealthy Dominicans.

Here in Jamao, we don't have people with that kind of money. Nor, does our mission serve that socio economic group. We are here to give educational opportunities to children who would not ordinarily have access to high quality education.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No. The colegio will be part of the non-profit. We could never afford being just a Colegio in Jamao, especially at the level that we function. We need donors to support us with materials, books (as you all on dr1 did), and funding to help offset the cost of teachers and facilities.

Jamao is poor. At the rate we are functioning right now, without support from the non-profit, we would have to charge a monthly tuition of $250 USD to each child. And that is with me working as a full time volunteer administrator/teacher.

Several schools in Cabarete and Sosua charge much, much more than that, but their students are children of ex-pats and wealthy Dominicans.

Here in Jamao, we don't have people with that kind of money. Nor, does our mission serve that socio economic group. We are here to give educational opportunities to children who would not ordinarily have access to high quality education.
We charge $1950-2600 pesos per month, depending on the student and the amount of work required. For example, a student from the public system in grade four that can't read or do simple arithmetic is charged as much as 3600 per month to get the one-on-one required to bring them up to grade level. Way less than 100 $US per month. We however own the building so have no rent to pay.

Aug 21, 2007
We charge $1950-2600 pesos per month, depending on the student and the amount of work required. For example, a student from the public system in grade four that can't read or do simple arithmetic is charged as much as 3600 per month to get the one-on-one required to bring them up to grade level. Way less than 100 $US per month. We however own the building so have no rent to pay.
That's good information. We are starting next year with preprimeria and will build from there, slowly and as need arises. I assume our current 3 and 4 year olds will all continue next year. Thus, already we have no openings available. And we have a waiting list. But currently, parents only pay 1,200 a month which covers merienda. We will need to raise tuition to be sustainable, knowing that additional teachers must be hired and probably eventually one to replace me. This old lady cannot continue to keep up with 5 year olds forever.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
  • Haha

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Actually wasnt for you, it was for JD, but if it furthered your knowledge ,good.
Nah, I knew that you were wrong but instead of throwing you under the bus I let it ride, out of courtesy...unfortunately you don't seem to have it in you to actually be courteous. I withdraw any positive things I may have said or even thought about you. It's clear that I was mistaken ;)

• Love