Missing Mechanic

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend remembers a thread about a mechanic -

His question to me -

I have been searching the forums with no luck. About a year ago, maybe two I read
on the forum about a guy, an extranjero, I think an American who did mechanical análisis on
cars. He charged a flat fee. Everyone raved about him. My impression was that he was an ex master mechanic
living in the DR . He had all the tech stuff needed .

This ring a bell with anybody ?

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I believe Mike and gorgon are one and the same.
(Somebody please, weigh in...is this correct?)
I do recall a moment in time when there was an ongoing discussion/argument happening between gorgon and another dr1'er. I think there was a discussion about whether or not gorgon had access to some high tech automotive tool... that might be the thread to which the op is referring.
Something about odometer rollbacks???
A very hazy memory, at best.

• Sad
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I believe Mike and gorgon are one and the same.
(Somebody please, weigh in...is this correct?)
I do recall a moment in time when there was an ongoing discussion/argument happening between gorgon and another dr1'er. I think there was a discussion about whether or not gorgon had access to some high tech automotive tool... that might be the thread to which the op is referring.
Something about odometer rollbacks???
A very hazy memory, at best.
Mike and the "gorgon" are the same person. Mike is from Puerto Plata. I do not think he is a mechanic but has the tools and tester to check cars.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Mike lives in Santo Domingo now. He has a Bluetooth OBD2 tester. However this doesn't mean much as many perfectly fine vehicles will return some fault codes.
He is not a mechanic in that strict sense of the word although he used to help set up small race cars.
And even if he were a mechanic most dealers would not let Mike or other mechanics delve deep into a vehicle they are selling. He tends to deal with dealers he trusts who aren't the typical charlatans. Mike's price is fair for his service.
There may be exceptions to dealers who will let your mechanic go over a vehicle thoroughly.
There are few well trained and equipped mechanics who can be relied on on the North Coast anyway.
And those of us who know of one tend to not spread the word for fear of overwhelming their shops.
You are best off finding a friend with sufficient car knowledge to help you with your hunt. Many of us own code readers and Voltage testers and radiator pressure guages but that is not a panacea.
The best step is to get a car on a lift, remove the splash guard and look for leaks and worn drive train and CV axles, etc. And check the factory warning lights on the dash. When you turn the key on before starting check to see which ones might have been disabled (they don't post)
Mileage is almost always setback. And a vehicle with 200,000 miles in the US, that has been well cared for, can be better than one with 85,000 miles here the way most Dominican owners abuse them.
Some owners never change fluids.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend wants a checkup.... he's not buying.... no, it wasn't Gorgon he was thinking of

But thanks everybody....nobody else seems to remember either

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My friend wants a checkup.... he's not buying.... no, it wasn't Gorgon he was thinking of

Where is your friend located and what languages does he speak. If he's near me I can give you the name of a couple guys that could do it. But he needs to speak Spanish and or German

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

I don't recall the name but years ago there was a Canadian in Santiago that was an excellent mechanic working from a place out on the Autopista.

He moved back to Canada.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

My current mechanic. He has a full up diagnostic tablet most all the bells and whistles ( I don't think it can turn odometers back, LOL) and you can pay him to check out your car or one you want to buy, his father and he were road rally mechanics in the EU. He also has CarFax so he can check cares imported from the USA as part of the service.

He speaks English.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That sounds good Windy

German guy ? BMW type ? I have been there I think
I believe English origin lived in Germany where he and his dad were rally mechanics.
Has a Dominican family here for many years now. I have seen a Beamer or 2 there.
Small operation.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I believe English origin lived in Germany where he and his dad were rally mechanics.
Has a Dominican family here for many years now. I have seen a Beamer or 2 there.
Small operation.
Greg is the best equipped and knowledgable mechanic on the north coast in my opinion. He has BMW's and Porsches come in from Santiago because he has the best diagnostic equipment etc...