Moca?? New cars? Used cars?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Moca seems to have developed a reputation, at least among the POP Gringo community, for having the lowest auto prices in the DR.
* Lower than Santiago? Lower than Santo Domingo? Too much a a generalization?
* Accurate? Reasons? Experiences? Advice? Thank you.

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
My family is from Santiago and they usually went to Moca to buy cars because of the prices. Actually daddy bought me my 1st car at an agency in Moca.

That was back in 97 so I have no idea about today's market though.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
All I know is it must be something in the water because Moca has a ton of dealerships for such a small podunk town, including a very new modern building for one dealership on the road from Santiago.

BTW, I go to Moca at least once a week to take the wife there from Santiago.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I went to Moca in December, 2006 looking for a used car. I went to just about every dealer on the main road. The dealers in Moca were asking for more money than for comparable cars for sale in Santo Domingo.
Although it might appear that way, (I have had the exact same experience) you might be comparing apples and oranges.
Not all used cars are alike.
The first time I discovered the same as you mentioned above, after wasting 5 or 6 hours checking out the dealers for this one specific model, an '88 Camry, I phoned up the dealer in Moca to try one last time to get a lower price, to no avail, but I still bought it anyhow, because it was a better car in better condition.
My friends acted like I was crazy for paying as much as I did, yet when they got in to go for a ride, they were all smiles and ranting and raving at how nice it was, and blah blah blah.

El barato sale caro.

It would be different if you were comparing new cars.
Only then could you draw the above conclusion in a clinical fashion.
I think that Santiago and La Vega are both good places for buying cars, better than Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata, and good value varies from dealer to dealer and car to car, so one could never conclude with 100% certainty that Moca car dealers are the cheapest.
That being said.
Moca is the undisputed car capital of the country.
Generally speaking, you can get the best used cars, mechanics and paint jobs, at the best prices.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Moca seems to have developed a reputation, at least among the POP Gringo community, for having the lowest auto prices in the DR.
* Lower than Santiago? Lower than Santo Domingo? Too much a a generalization?
* Accurate? Reasons? Experiences? Advice? Thank you.

Just returned from Mocca today after picking up my title at a very popular dealership. Interesting the owner spoke to me about how business has been down for several months and that he felt the lack of the north coast customer was hurting his dealership and others. When I purchased 3 months ago the selection in Mocca was very poor to say the least. However, today the area looks like a USA get rid of all the SUV gas monsters that we can and ship them to Mocca!!! I would think that the deals are ripe for the picking in Mocca, then again this is the DR!!! :pirate:

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Hello eveyone!

As a point of view, be very careful when buying a car anywhere in DR.

Most cars come from the US with high mileage, heavy repairs, etc....

back in 06 when i came back from the US visiting family all over, me and my dad decided to buy a decent car for me to go back to work, my pilot courses, etc....

I spent an entire month searching for a good car around Santiago, Moca and La Vega, and over 80% of the cars (i was looking for Honda or Toyota) had severe repairs done in the bodywork or engine, torn interiors, or heavy mileage that had been reduced illegally in DR.....

If you don't know much about cars, go with somebody that does....... it will be safer and a more satisfying buy....

I settled 2 years ago on a '01 accord with 143,000 original miles and perfect condition...... I researched ALL the cars that i reviewed on CARFAX used car VIN number search, auto history check, vehicle history reports and promised never again to buy a used car anywhere without a search on carfax, highly recommended........

If you wanna know about the high mileage on my car...... you never get a car in optimum condition and low mileage in DR for a decent price. I wanted my car to not be tampered with the miles, but a lot of the cars around Moca and Santiago have their mileage tone down, so if they are in good condition, go for it. The mileage thing in DR is uncontrollable.....

I hope this helps, and good luck with your future buy...

regards

STIOP

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
When I was looking to buy a car, I went to La Vega, Moca and Santiago. I bought my car at dealership on the autopista. The prices can vary greatly between dealerships.