Money

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You can. It is just that there have been some scams recently & people giving advice err on the side of caution. Look up the thread started by Al from Texas & others in a similar vein.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Many people are making this very complicated!

Jim,I am a retired Navy Corpsman.I have my pension direct deposited in my bank in Cambridge Mass.I then cash my personal checks at an exchange house I have used for over 10 years.I don't ever have to go wait for money at a bank,or get only 100 dollars at a time,or only get enough dollars to pay your credit card at that bank! I have also had my US ATM card "eaten" about 4 times in the last ten years.That entails calling my US bank and cancelling the card and waiting for a new one.Use personal checks,with direct deposit,"No Problema"!!Cris Colon :pirate:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
About 10 days..

Lambada said:
How long does it take before BanReservas clear your cheque into your dollar savings account?

Yes....10 days...but again...they are giving me dollars. So I can choose when and where I want to exchange. I can sit on the dollars if I want and wait until I get a more favorable exchange rate.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Well the reason is...

the reason you don't use ATM is because you are then at the mercy of the banks to give you a fair exchange rate. Usually they are close and it is not a big deal...but I have had experiences where the rate given to me was 3 pesos per dollar different and then you pay an ATM fee of...in my case...3.75 usd per ATM withdraw. I was paying the bank 70 dollars a month in ATM fees and figured out that I was paying 200 dollars more than I needed per month. Also, if the machine takes your card you cannot get it back. You have to go to your bank in the USA.

I have tried to cash checks at an exchange house and I have been denied. So please tell me what the trick is?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Snuffy said:
Yes....10 days...but again...they are giving me dollars. So I can choose when and where I want to exchange. I can sit on the dollars if I want and wait until I get a more favorable exchange rate.
10 days is good, VERY good. Used to be 40 working days viz 7 weeks!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Snuffy said:

I have tried to cash checks at an exchange house and I have been denied. So please tell me what the trick is?

Where are you based in the DR? There's a couple of exchange houses in Puerto Plata who will help you out once they get to know you! - Grahame.