Monorail coming for Santo Domingo and Santiago

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What I am wondering, in case of a monorail (or whatever transit system), what will happen to all those that drive the shared taxicabs. In Santiago, there are a whole bunch of families that depend on that to eke out a living. It is nice to have a less clogged traffic system, but it is important to think of those who may be the losers....
One of Abinader's stated aims is to get rid of the shared taxis known as carros públicos or conchos "by mutual agreement with the unions."

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
One of Abinader's stated aims is to get rid of the shared taxis known as carros públicos or conchos "by mutual agreement with the unions."
It would be good if he could get the carrito drivers working on the monorail. Things progress and change all the time. People who work in obsolete professions have to adapt to the new ways. The powers that be can only try to make it as painless as possible.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Not if it adds to the debt of the country.
Useful infrastructure built to last 30 -50 years is a investment into the country. That will show up indirectly as increased productivity. That should lead to a increase in GDP. Increased money on the bottom line of business shows up as increased tax revenues used to pay off the debt incurred to make the investment.

You can argue until Hailey's comet returns about if the infrastructure being built is useful or needed. That is not my point. I have traveled all over the world and I have yet to be in a undeveloped or middle income country that had a extensive, well built, well maintained transportation system.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
What I am wondering, in case of a monorail (or whatever transit system), what will happen to all those that drive the shared taxicabs. In Santiago, there are a whole bunch of families that depend on that to eke out a living. It is nice to have a less clogged traffic system, but it is important to think of those who may be the losers....

When debating about the monorail vs a two track train system, what is not getting attention is the need for AVAILABLE SPACE to create the latter project. Of course, a ground level or above ground two track train system would be a dream, but it is an unreachable dream within the parameters of what can actually be achieved at this point in time. The time for such a project would have been during the era of Trujillo or Balaguer. That time has obviously passed, as Santo Domingo and Santiago are now overloaded and overpopulated, and there is simply no AVAILABLE SPACE to construct the railway of dreams that some desire, or consider to be more economically feasible.

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
When debating about the monorail vs a two track train system, what is not getting attention is the need for AVAILABLE SPACE to create the latter project.

There is truth to what you are saying but there is a legal precept called "EMINENT DOMAIN" that is used for such endeavors, all across the world and I presume, given DR's Napelonic laws, it would have recourse to it?

Reactions: Caonabo

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
There is truth to what you are saying but there is a legal precept called "EMINENT DOMAIN" that is used for such endeavors, all across the world and I presume, given DR's Napelonic laws, it would have recourse to it?
That is a very heavy handed way to start political term. Maybe late in the first term or after he secures a second is the time to expend the political capital to get it done. The announcement of the Monorail project could also simply be a trial ballon floated to see the reaction from the various stake holders.
When debating about the monorail vs a two track train system, what is not getting attention is the need for AVAILABLE SPACE to create the latter project. Of course, a ground level or above ground two track train system would be a dream, but it is an unreachable dream within the parameters of what can actually be achieved at this point in time. The time for such a project would have been during the era of Trujillo or Balaguer. That time has obviously passed, as Santo Domingo and Santiago are now overloaded and overpopulated, and there is simply no AVAILABLE SPACE to construct the railway of dreams that some desire, or consider to be more economically feasible.
I agree. Politics after all is the art of the possible.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Yes, but as we exist here in 2020 there are many of those within legal circles who's sole purpose is to combat this specific precept.
It was much more easier to accomplish decades ago, than it is today. Such an action would bring long, costly legal battles which quite frankly, I do not think anybody has the time, nor patience for.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Another aspect is the Abinader administration's determination to focus on "green" solutions.
I freely admit that I am not the person to consult regarding enviornmental impact issues as they relate between monorails and two track train systems, but I am sure some member within this web forum is properly trained in this specific subject matter to contribute in a more insightful manner than I.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
Useful infrastructure built to last 30 -50 years is a investment into the country. That will show up indirectly as increased productivity. That should lead to a increase in GDP. Increased money on the bottom line of business shows up as increased tax revenues used to pay off the debt incurred to make the investment.

You can argue until Hailey's comet returns about if the infrastructure being built is useful or needed. That is not my point. I have traveled all over the world and I have yet to be in a undeveloped or middle income country that had a extensive, well built, well maintained transportation system.
Slow down champ. You have to be able to financially maintain this infrastructure or it flops. There will be no subsidies in RD as there are in the states to maintain failing systems such Amtrak. Once it fails...it fails. Costs should be their number one priority and monorails are notoriously expensive to maintain. They should seek another solution.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
How are monorails and two track train systems different in regards to ecological impact?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The monorail that runs above ground is seriously ugly. I always think the one in Bangkok really spoils the look of the streets that it runs down, creating a massive shadow and lots of dirty dark corners below it.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The monorail that runs above ground is seriously ugly. I always think the one in Bangkok really spoils the look of the streets that it runs down, creating a massive shadow and lots of dirty dark corners below it.

You would receive the same shadows from an above ground two track train system.
The only aesthetically pleasing option would be a ground level system, or continued Metro expansions, both of which are not on the table at this point in time.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
To connect with the yet invisible Sosua Hospital and Autopista del Norte ? Of course..How could one possibly be cynical.?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Slow down champ. You have to be able to financially maintain this infrastructure or it flops. There will be no subsidies in RD as there are in the states to maintain failing systems such Amtrak. Once it fails...it fails. Costs should be their number one priority and monorails are notoriously expensive to maintain. They should seek another solution.
Check your facts out Mr. Public Policy Super Advisor.🤣

"The best we can figure, the cost of monorail or light rail are roughly comparable at around $50 million/mile. But monorail can be cheaper in places where right-of-way (land) is very expensive and density is very high."

"Operating costs seem roughly comparable. Monorail probably doesn't save overall by not needing an operator, since monorail stations need additional security and other personnel."

https://bicycleaustin.info/rail/monorail.html#:~:text=The best we can figure,and density is very high.

A few more insights:
https://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_monorail006.htm
https://www.mrl.ucsb.edu/~yopopov/rail_modes/monorail.html
https://ggwash.org/view/67201/why-cities-rarely-build-monorails-explained

If you build it it will get used. In my home country I watched a major urban transportation system being built. It was first build to serve the working professionals. The very last line that was placed served those with lower incomes. One year later they had to double the number of train cars to meet demand.

Anecdotal evidence? Yes, I will stipulate to that. But I'm just saying...Dominicans are riding around in carros publicos and gauguas. Think the government of the Dominican Republic will built it and the people who do not own cars will not use it ❓ Allocate government money to maintain the system. It is a government expense not a toll roll designed to pay for itself.

The current public transportation system in the Dominican Republic (in my opinion) is a prime example of something the principles of capitalism does not handle well. Some things need to be done for the public good, not solely to line the pockets of some capitalist out there ‼

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
Check your facts out Mr. Public Policy Super Advisor.🤣

"The best we can figure, the cost of monorail or light rail are roughly comparable at around $50 million/mile. But monorail can be cheaper in places where right-of-way (land) is very expensive and density is very high."

"Operating costs seem roughly comparable. Monorail probably doesn't save overall by not needing an operator, since monorail stations need additional security and other personnel."

https://bicycleaustin.info/rail/monorail.html#:~:text=The best we can figure,and density is very high.

A few more insights:
https://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_monorail006.htm
https://www.mrl.ucsb.edu/~yopopov/rail_modes/monorail.html
https://ggwash.org/view/67201/why-cities-rarely-build-monorails-explained

If you build it it will get used. In my home country I watched a major urban transportation system being built. It was first build to serve the working professionals. The very last line that was placed served those with lower incomes. One year later they had to double the number of train cars to meet demand.

Anecdotal evidence? Yes, I will stipulate to that. But I'm just saying...Dominicans are riding around in carros publicos and gauguas. Think the government of the Dominican Republic will built it and the people who do not own cars will not use it ❓ Allocate government money to maintain the system. It is a government expense not a toll roll designed to pay for itself.

The current public transportation system in the Dominican Republic (in my opinion) is a prime example of something the principles of capitalism does not handle well. Some things need to be done for the public good, not solely to line the pockets of some capitalist out there ‼

Don't weird me out, Mr. Great Debater. It seems like you're looking to win a debate when you're the only person debating. Anyway, you wrote me a thesis but you didnt address the number one issue. Again, how are they going to pay for this infrastructure over the course of decades when it isn't profitable anywhere? Post those links to where there is a monorail in an urban environment that is profitable. Amtrak, a cheaper rail system, has users but its in the red every year and solely exists due to government intervention. Where does RD have the resources to keep this infrastructure going; the trains, the complicated track switches, the modern buildings needed, etc.? There needs to be a more cost effective solution. Monorails are not it.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Don't weird me out, Mr. Great Debater. It seems like you're looking to win a debate when you're the only person debating. Anyway, you wrote me a thesis but you didnt address the number one issue.
I can’t be responsible for your reactions to my exceptionally poignant writing. If you wish to be one of those who have an apoplectic fit when you read my posts, seek medical attention or put me on ignore. I am not trying to win a debate sir. I am circuitous cause my day job is writing for DR1. I get paid by the word. And I am trying to earn some extra money.
Again, how are they going to pay for this infrastructure over the course of decades when it isn't profitable anywhere? Post those links to where there is a monorail in an urban environment that is profitable.
I am not supporting a monorail system. I have already posted what system I think they should go with.
[/URL]
Address this issue: Name the the public transportation system anywhere in the world that is profitable.
How profitable is a the police department?
How profitable is the fire department?
How profitable is the 911 system?
Name a government on this earth that is profitable? The best ANY government can do is to have a balanced budget. The idea of most governments is: "promote the general welfare". That is why it is called public transportation. Have capitalists invest in the project and charge what the market will bear and call it private transportation. But if the capitalists do not think they are going to get a good return on their money then they do not invest. I said it before some things capitalism is not good at. That is why government is there to step in and "promote the general welfare" when the capitalists are thinking only of their own bottom line.
Now do not get it twisted. I benefit from capitalism. But I also recognize its limitations.
Amtrak, a cheaper rail system, has users but its in the red every year and solely exists due to government intervention.
I have have used Amtrak while visiting the United States of America it is a great system. I suppose the government of the United States of America feels it is important to support the system for it’s citizens. In the same way it supports the United States Postal Service.
Are you really going to compare the United States of America 🇺🇲 with the Dominican Republic🇩🇴? A nation with 300+ million people and a GDP estimated at 20.54 Trillion USD (yes that is Trillion with a “T”) to a nation of 10+ million and a estimated GDP of 85.56 billion USD? Bit of a apple to oranges comparison if you ask me. But you didn’t now did you?
Where does RD have the resources to keep this infrastructure going; the trains, the complicated track switches, the modern buildings needed, etc.? There needs to be a more cost effective solution. Monorails are not it.
I am not a member of the government of the Dominican Republic at this time. If called upon to serve I will. So I cannot answer the question about how the Dominican Republic gets its money. But the government of the Dominican Republic well they have not asked me.

I am not a supporter of the Monorail system proposal. So, you wrote me a response with just a hint of attitude and bitter sarcasm when we actually agree.

I write my posts for everyone to enjoy.‼ Not just you my man.🤣

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
While the opinions opposing the proposed monorail system have been brought to light, and passionate in substance......no alternatives have been offered to combat the congestion of Santo Domingo and Santiago. Something must be done.
If no monorail system, what else may you propose as a solution?
How to implement?
How to finance?
How to maintain?

Reactions: JD Jones