Montana to North Coast ...where do we buy good beef?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have spoken to them about shipping to the north coast...like Omaha Steaks does.

We just need those styrofoam coolers to put on Caribe Tours.
She's looking into it.

Currently , they use those pouches which will work fine but may not deliver the meat totally frozen.
Thats OK if you're using it soon, but not for keeping too long.

JohnBoyTheGreat

May 16, 2012
If great beef is a must for you, I would consider looking at another location than the DR. Getting "good" beef will mean importing it yourself, paying very high prices for imported beef, or going through your own methods of aging and tenderizing it to get it to where you can actually eat local beef as others have mentioned. And about the same applies to pizza in the DR, there is no such thing as a great pizza in the DR unless you make it yourself.

Sounds like there's an opening for a good pizza place...

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Sounds like there's an opening for a good pizza place...
The American pizza chains taste pretty close to the ones in the states... You must be talking about the pizza made in the small towns.

Sorry, I was refering to wideguy's comment

ButteMontana

May 11, 2012
So there's a butcher in sosua Cabarete area.?
We age our beef, that's the difference in taste . They don't have the facilities there , so it's "fresh" there, to me it tastes like eating elk meat, or a deer. Very wild game like

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The pork is delicious...... very, very good.

The butcher will need lessons.... his cleaver just 'chops'... no skills attached

ButteMontana

May 11, 2012
I can show a butcher what to do ... I will get cutting maps from my butcher here and bring it . Then we can all eat like it's home!
No lamb is not good , I'm a total carnivore but I have to draw the line at baby animals . Let the little buggers have a chance to grow and then kill em

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For years, I have said that a good butchering course would make everybody happier.

The butcher would get a better yield/profit and we'd get better cuts.

They just chop it here and sell by the pound... no matter where it comes from on the animal.
Usualyy thats how it goes .

emonero

May 22, 2012
For years, I have said that a good butchering course would make everybody happier.

The butcher would get a better yield/profit and we'd get better cuts.

They just chop it here and sell by the pound... no matter where it comes from on the animal.
Usualyy thats how it goes .

I don't know where you are buying your meat but my uncle was a butcher and he didn't just chop everything and sold it by the pound...he had different prices for different parts of the cattle...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
the taste of the beef is OK, but as it is free range, and they do not use hormones (which I like), and the animals can only eat the poor nutrition grass in a field or the side of the road, the cows are skinny (according to European or US standards), and they cannot age it properly due to poor electric and poor accomadation, YOU WILL NEED A FANTASTIC SET OF TEETH.....

Mind you, a small steak will last you a long time... lol

BelgianK

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't know where you are buying your meat but my uncle was a butcher and he didn't just chop everything and sold it by the pound...he had different prices for different parts of the cattle...

I have to agree with this. Where we live in DR, there is a local butcher. One day a week, usually Saturday, he butchers an animal, usually a pig, cow or a calf. [he hangs the head on a hook outside so you know what's for sale, but that's another story].

The veal was surprisingly good [since we're used to milk fed in US], priced differently for each part. We bought both tenderloins, some chunks, and roasts - my husband cut thin cutlets and I froze them individually on sheets of aluminum foil.

When he butchered a pig there were per pound prices based on what you bought - chunks, leg, chops, etc.

Remember, we're talking here about a small one-man shop, nothing aged, killed that morning, open-air service, he does have freezers inside, but you stand outside in the street.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Any beef that I would buy down there would have to be marinated for a couple days I think. Don`t like the DR beef at all, Im with BelgianK, mine need to be pumped with hormones too, lol. Poor sickly looking skinny cows, no wonder they don`t have much taste and are tough. Too much beef not good for anyone anyway. What I will say, the pork and chicken in DR are incredible.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Any beef that I would buy down there would have to be marinated for a couple days I think. Don`t like the DR beef at all, Im not with BelgianK, mine need to be pumped with hormones , lol. Poor sickly looking skinny cows, no wonder they don`t have much taste and are tough. Too much beef not good for anyone anyway. What I will say, the pork and chicken in DR are incredible.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have to agree with this. Where we live in DR, there is a local butcher. One day a week, usually Saturday, he butchers an animal, usually a pig, cow or a calf. [he hangs the head on a hook outside so you know what's for sale, but that's another story].

The veal was surprisingly good [since we're used to milk fed in US], priced differently for each part. We bought both tenderloins, some chunks, and roasts - my husband cut thin cutlets and I froze them individually on sheets of aluminum foil.

When he butchered a pig there were per pound prices based on what you bought - chunks, leg, chops, etc.

Remember, we're talking here about a small one-man shop, nothing aged, killed that morning, open-air service, he does have freezers inside, but you stand outside in the street.

wow, you guys can get veal in the DR. I am jealous... would love some veal piccata...

BelgianK

ButteMontana

May 11, 2012
I will never eat Veal why kill a cute ill calf? ...and yes ..our fat ass cows here are deeeeeelicious. My ass could go without the beef for a while though. I dunno if I could handle a fresh pig either , I like that cured stuff . All I know is that for us carnivores , it's a great weight loss program to move there . ha ha

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Eat more vegetables, chicken and fish; it's better for you.

The plus is you will be eating healthy and when you do go back to the States on vacation you can eat steak every day of the week and not feel guilty!