Monte Alto Organic Coffee

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's hard to come by, so imagine my surprise when I saw some minor shelf space of Monte Alto Organic Coffee available at Nacional Sunday morning.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I bought a one pound bag at the Supermercado Nacional on M?ximo G?mez in Santo Domingo.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's hard to come by, so imagine my surprise when I saw some minor shelf space of Monte Alto Organic Coffee available at Nacional Sunday morning.

CB, is it possible to buy this at the factory if someone [me!] wanted like 20 pounds of it 'en grano'? We want to drive up to Jarabacoa anyway, do you think that is a possibility?

AE

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB, is it possible to buy this at the factory if someone [me!] wanted like 20 pounds of it 'en grano'? We want to drive up to Jarabacoa anyway, do you think that is a possibility?

AE
Yes.

Let me know before you come.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's usually available at Nacional and other big supermarkets in the capital. Not in the east though...

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Monte Alto in Constanza?

Is it possible to buy Monte Alto coffee in Constanza?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Went to Nacional on 27 de Feb [SD] this morning and found a bunch of Monte Alto [119 pesos] coffee on the shelves - maybe 10-15 pounds. We bought a pound and loved it - no bitterness. Wish they carried it en grano/whole bean, guess we have to go to Jarabacoa for that!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Went to Nacional on 27 de Feb [SD] this morning and found a bunch of Monte Alto [119 pesos] coffee on the shelves - maybe 10-15 pounds. We bought a pound and loved it - no bitterness. Wish they carried it en grano/whole bean, guess we have to go to Jarabacoa for that!
I can get as much whole bean as you want, both Organico or Especial.

~Ocassionally~ Especial comes in flavors: Hazelnut, Vanilla, Mocha and Cinnamon. Yuuuuuuumy!

In a week or so I'll be able to post all the locations where it can be purchased.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I can get as much whole bean as you want, both Organico or Especial.

~Ocassionally~ Especial comes in flavors: Hazelnut, Vanilla, Mocha and Cinnamon. Yuuuuuuumy!

In a week or so I'll be able to post all the locations where it can be purchased.

Great cobraboy, thanks! I like the flavors, but my husband is a coffee purist - so we'll just buy regular. What's the difference between organico and especial taste-wise? We bought the organico.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
That coffee eludes me. If there was a pound on Ebay right now I'd buy it to finally try it;)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Great cobraboy, thanks! I like the flavors, but my husband is a coffee purist - so we'll just buy regular. What's the difference between organico and especial taste-wise? We bought the organico.
The Organico, because of the Certification process...one being it stays on the trees longer...is a tad more mellow.

It's not at all harsh, even when brewed like cappucino or expresso.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
That coffee eludes me. If there was a pound on Ebay right now I'd buy it to finally try it;)
Stay tuned. There are plans for US and European distribution, but in smaller batches. Possibly on the web.

I could maybe have some shipped around the DR on Caribe Tours to where it's not available. Wouldn't be as cheap as the local coffee at the supermercado, but you could have some.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Stay tuned. There are plans for US and European distribution, but in smaller batches. Possibly on the web.

I could maybe have some shipped around the DR on Caribe Tours to where it's not available. Wouldn't be as cheap as the local coffee at the supermercado, but you could have some.

need to get it produced in pods for single serve machines....very very large market now...
bob

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
need to get it produced in pods for single serve machines....very very large market now...
bob
It can be produced in 1oz. filter packs like for the 4 cup machines in hotels. Is that what you mean?

The bulk for the local market is in 1oz. packages.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Went to Nacional on 27 de Feb [SD] this morning and found a bunch of Monte Alto [119 pesos] coffee on the shelves - maybe 10-15 pounds.

When in town, I'm in that supermercado or the one in Arroyo Hondo about every other day. I have a hard time finding stuff. Soya milk, now the coffee and it seems that they are right in front of my eyes.

I've come to the realization that the local eye candy skews my vision, and that the grocery trips are in actuality, socially inspired outings;)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Let me know when you start shipping to the US, my Cuban wife sure would appreciate premium grade coffee from the DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When in town, I'm in that supermercado or the one in Arroyo Hondo about every other day. I have a hard time finding stuff. Soya milk, now the coffee and it seems that they are right in front of my eyes.

I've come to the realization that the local eye candy skews my vision, and that the grocery trips are in actuality, socially inspired outings;)

LOL Cuban! In Nacional [27 de Feb/Lincoln] they just opened a new healthy diet section and I saw a lot of different soy milks in there. If you're facing the cash registers, it's at the extreme left side. Some interesting stuff in there! I have to warn you though, there was a cute Dominican girl working in the section, came right over to ask if I needed help, maybe you should write out a list and just hand it to her :)

AE