more bank questions

euuusi

Jan 2, 2005
KateP said:
I'm still here til Friday so let me know if I can help you!
Hi Kate,

this is rather wonderful - we only just discovered this forum and already found a wealth of information! Thank you for offering to help. Would it be easier if I disclosed my email and we can "talk" directly?

And - a very Happy Birthday of course!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
euuusi said:
Hi Kate,

this is rather wonderful - we only just discovered this forum and already found a wealth of information! Thank you for offering to help. Would it be easier if I disclosed my email and we can "talk" directly?

And - a very Happy Birthday of course!

Thank you! Whichever you prefer.

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Most banks require you to be there in person to open an account. As a Canadian I had great difficulties opening a Scotia account in the DR even though I had a Canadian Scotia account. They wanted a lot of references and a letter from the Canadian Consulate allowing me to open an account.

I had less problem opening an account with Banco Popular and they have internet banking.
http://www.popularenlinea.com/ Their website is not very reliable though and is often down.

Good luck...

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
BushBaby said:
Sorry Stallion, Scotia Bank is NOT Canadian but a Dominican one that has a lot of Canadian influence by Bank of Nova Scotia in it. Further (& this is news to me as I thought they would have had on-line banking) as noted above by jjsk, they do not as yet have on-line banking. I can attest to them having English speaking staff as one of their managers I have known for 12 years & he has always had excellent English!!

We have banked with Banco Mercantil in Puerto Plata for some 11 years & found them to be most reliable & helpful. One or two members of staff there speak English & to give them adfded credibility, they are now woned (although like Scotia Bank here, as a DOMINICAN bank) by the Republic Bank of Trinidad & Tobago. They have banking on-line facilities (In English as well as Spanish) & you can even make banking connections to their Cayman Islands without having to leave the comfort of your fireside chair!!

Feel free to PM or E-mail if you want further details (Tel. No. e-mail, website etc!) ~ Grahame.

I don't know how their affiliations work, but i once lost my scotiabank atm card in puerto plata. I went to scotiabank in puerto plata to inquire about a replacement card and they told me to contact scotiabank in toronto and cancel my card. And have them send one to puerto plata scotiabank. The rep gave me their branch number.