More than 500,000 Haitians have voluntarily left the DR

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
One or two voluntarily, the rest not.
Once around 6am on a weekday, passing through Santiago, we witnessed migracion collecting Haitians from the street with one of those yellow schoolbuses. It was a horrible scene. To be honest, it was the Haitians who looked much more friendly than the migracion officials chasing them... The bus driven by migracion officer also drove like a maniac and among the Haitians who were obviously running by foot, I had to use the horn quite a bit there (for the schoolbus, not the Haitans)...I know they might be in the country illegally, but I did feel bad for them...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Once around 6am on a weekday, passing through Santiago, we witnessed migracion collecting Haitians from the street with one of those yellow schoolbuses. It was a horrible scene. To be honest, it was the Haitians who looked much more friendly than the migracion officials chasing them... The bus driven by migracion officer also drove like a maniac and among the Haitians who were obviously running by foot, I had to use the horn quite a bit there (for the schoolbus, not the Haitans)...I know they might be in the country illegally, but I did feel bad for them...
Keep in mind that most migration officers that take part in deportation round ups have been doing that for a long time.

They are like sales people. It doesn't takes long after they start dealing with people that the potential clients stop appearing as individual people and are simply a number of clients in a handful of personalities (most people think they are very unique, I hate to break that bubble since after a while you noticed a handful of personality types and most people fall into one of them.) Try telling no to a season salesperson to see if that will have any effect in making them stop. lol After a while they have no real feelings that naturally arises with the personality and reactions of the people.

Another example would be police officers. If they have been one for a while, psychologically to them you are not an individual but rather one more of the hundreds or perhaps thousands of people they see day in, day out. They can guess what your answer possibilities are to a given question if they always ask the same to multiple people. Ever notice when people are arrested sometimes they try to make the officer feel bad for arresting them, but instead the officer appears deaf to your please and acts as if mothing is being said? Well, he has been there and done that multiple times.

The migration officer you meet passing through the airport? If they have been one for a while, they know if you are nervous, relaxed, acting suspicious, lying to them, etc simply by looking at you. You are just a number of the multiple people they attend every single day.

For you it was one of the few times, perhaps the first time, you witnessed a migration round up; but the migration officers have "been there and done that." They pretty much know how those who are illegals and are about to be caught react once they realize their deportation is a stake.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The migration officer you meet passing through the airport? If they have been one for a while, they know if you are nervous, relaxed, acting suspicious, lying to them, etc simply by looking at you. You are just a number of the multiple people they attend every single day.

For you it was one of the few times, perhaps the first time, you witnessed a migration round up; but the migration officers have "been there and done that." They pretty much know how those who are illegals and are about to be caught react once they realize their deportation is a stake.

I agree and you're right, just had not thought about this at all before saw that in action... As said, I don't doubt they were illegals, but it did not look pretty nevertheless...

Same for migration officers, yes, I have not witnessed anything, but seen videos...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree and you're right, just had not thought about this at all before saw that in action... As said, I don't doubt they were illegals, but it did not look pretty nevertheless...

Same for migration officers, yes, I have not witnessed anything, but seen videos...
Getting caught for doing anything illegal is often not pretty, but it is necessary in the case of illegals in the DR.

From the reports that most illegals still remain, the government still has a long way to go with deportations.

Reactions: thompstr

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
the 2 that work for me have been deported several times... only to come back a week later... need a more secure border
Look what happened recently when Haitian police officers crossed into the DR to confiscate products of Haitian merchants and destroy them. The Haitian merchants and the police officers didn't crossedinto the DR where there is a wall, they simply went around where the wall ends. :unsure:

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
It's a business that the border forces are profiting from. They have no real interest in making the border more secure.
Not just border forces profiting. A number of the people in a recent Sosua roundup never went further than the holding facility in Santiago. Guess what set them free.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Not just border forces profiting. A number of the people in a recent Sosua roundup never went further than the holding facility in Santiago. Guess what set them free.
A lot don't even get to the holding facility. Many get arrested by local Policia Nacional, get taken to the local station to wait for Migration and then pay their way out after a night or so there. The whole thing is a racket and the so called enforcers are involved at every level.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You guys mean Haitians aren't being deported due to the color of most of them?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You guys mean Haitians aren't being deported due to the color of most of them?
If I am one of "you guys", I didn't mean that. But people are often stopped and sometimes locked up on the basis of their colour until their identity can be verified.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
If I am one of "you guys", I didn't mean that. But people are often stopped and sometimes locked up on the basis of their colour until their identity can be verified.
If I am one of "you guys" I also didn't mean that. Those detainees were not released in Santiago after their identity was verified. Guess what set them free.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Are you sure about that? Something tells me you can ask dark Dominicans at random anywhere in the country if they have had run ins with Migración and most will say no. Dark Dominicans combined with a typical Haitian look, well that's a different story but the deciding factor isn't their color but the overall look. Most dark Dominicans can be told apart from most Haitians simply by looking at them. Many expats are able to this once they notice certain patterns that pop up between the two. That's not to say that there aren't dark Haitians with what is deemed a dark Dominican look, but we're talking of the majority.