More than 500,000 Haitians have voluntarily left the DR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are you sure about that? Something tells me you can ask dark Dominicans at random anywhere in the country if they have had run ins with Migración and most will say no. Dark Dominicans combined with a typical Haitian look, well that's a different story but the deciding factor isn't their color but the overall look. Most dark Dominicans can be told apart from most Haitians simply by looking at them. Many expats are able to this once they notice certain patterns that pop up between the two. That's not to say that there aren't dark Haitians with what is deemed a dark Dominican look, but we're talking of the majority.
I would say the word " often" is wrong. That it happens "occasionally" is more accurate.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have been stopped by immigration officers here in Santiago multiple times and asked to prove my status in the country along with a picture ID.
They (unlike the PN) are always extremely polite and professional. They are just doing their job. Nothing more, nothing less. Zero complaints.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I have been stopped by immigration officers here in Santiago multiple times and asked to prove my status in the country along with a picture ID.
They (unlike the PN) are always extremely polite and professional. They are just doing their job. Nothing more, nothing less. Zero complaints.
That may be true of the immigration officers in the street - but the higher ups? Just doing their job? Lining their pockets is probably not in their job description.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That may be true of the immigration officers in the street - but the higher ups? Just doing their job? Lining their pockets is probably not in their job description.
Higher ups across the board not just immigration.
Pick one.
So long as they continue to treat me fair and are respectful towards me, I could care less about how much they line their pockets with.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Higher ups across the board not just immigration.
Pick one.
So long as they continue to treat me fair and are respectful towards me, I could care less about how much they line their pockets with.
I understand your point. But its kind of ironic that so many people, especially Dominicans, are so vocal in their support of deporting illegal Haitians, while their fellow countrymen are turning them back out on the streets daily. Jose and most of his family are so adamant they should be gone. Meanwhile his cousin Louis is turning them back out on the street for personal gain. Money talks and trumps all. And don't get me started on the Dominican mafia who are lending Haitian families the money to pay for release. Charging unbelievable interest on these loans.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I understand your point. But its kind of ironic that so many people, especially Dominicans, are so vocal in their support of deporting illegal Haitians, while their fellow countrymen are turning them back out on the streets daily. Jose and most of his family are so adamant they should be gone. Meanwhile his cousin Louis is turning them back out on the street for personal gain. Money talks and trumps all. And don't get me started on the Dominican mafia who are lending Haitian families the money to pay for release. Charging unbelievable interest on these loans.
I'm a proud white American male (in great physical shape) enjoying all of my privileges while living here Santiago...
so I really can't relate to how, when and where these folks take advantage of each other. I can only speak to my experiences and thus far, when it comes to immigration, be them at my port of arrival or here in the city, they've been absolutely stellar 💪

Reactions: Big and NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Who

Who are living there and why isn't it a part of the DR?
Neighborhoods with a high concentration of Haitians don't truly feel Dominican. That is mostly because in reality many of them are extensions of Haiti on Dominican soil. In the Bávaro/Punta Cana area (as in Sosúa) you will find some gated communities and apartment complexes where most residents are foreigners from North America or Europe while in others most residents are Dominicans. In those two there is a different aif between places dominated by those foreigners and places Domininated by Dominicans and this is not even talking about Dominicans that live in barrios.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I'm a proud white American male (in great physical shape) enjoying all of my privileges while living here Santiago...
so I really can't relate to how, when and where these folks take advantage of each other. I can only speak to my experiences and thus far, when it comes to immigration, be them at my port of arrival or here in the city, they've been absolutely stellar 💪
I would venture a guess that's because you are a WHITE American. I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But I can tell you that fair and respectful treatment by immigration officers does not apply to all. Wish it were so.

• Haha
Reactions: drstock and Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I would venture a guess that's because you are a WHITE American. I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But I can tell you that fair and respectful treatment by immigration officers does not apply to all. Wish it were so.
i would venture a guess that it is because he is a gentleman that plays by the rules. He has worked hard to attain his status; it was not handed to him. He should never apologize for being successful.

Reactions: thompstr

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've had similar problems with the PN.
I mise well of had green skin as they were clearly mistaken by thinking I was a dollar bill.
No doubt, life is tough in the big city.

Reactions: thompstr

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have never been stopped by P/N or immigration except at road stops and they usually way us through, on rare occasion I am asked for ID and where I am coming from and going to.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have never been stopped by P/N or immigration except at road stops and they usually way us through, on rare occasion I am asked for ID and where I am coming from and going to.
That's good to know.
I don't drive but whenever I rent cars around the holidays I do get stopped and asked for money as is customary during this time of year. I've also been in the car with friends on our way to PP and stopped by the PN for no other reason but for them to ask us for money. The newly paved mountain road from Gurabo to Montellano is the worst.

Here in Santiago it's a lot different than Jarabacoa. The PN in detachment Z-1 (Plaza Valario) are NOTORIOS for their arbitrary overnight detentions of people regarless of how you look, how old you are or where your from. Just walking through downtown after 9pm is enough to get locked up when the commander sends the low-rank out to fill the cells for the night. It's been a long standing problem in this city for years.

Now if you're a gringo living in a bubble you probably have no idea about many of the issues affecting the daily lives of Dominicans however when almost all of your good friends are Dominican living here in the same city, you learn about them with time.

and yes, I know you're married to one.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That's good to know.
I don't drive but whenever I rent cars around the holidays I do get stopped and asked for money as is customary during this time of year. I've also been in the car with friends on our way to PP and stopped by the PN for no other reason but for them to ask us for money. The newly paved mountain road from Gurabo to Montellano is the worst.

Here in Santiago it's a lot different than Jarabacoa. The PN in detachment Z-1 (Plaza Valario) are NOTORIOS for their arbitrary overnight detentions of people regarless of how you look, how old you are or where your from. Just walking through downtown after 9pm is enough to get locked up when the commander sends the low-rank out to fill the cells for the night. It's been a long standing problem in this city for years.

Now if you're a gringo living in a bubble you probably have no idea about many of the issues affecting the daily lives of Dominicans however when almost all of your good friends are Dominican living here in the same city, you learn about them with time.

and yes, I know you're married to one.
I don't live in a bubble; I live on the edge of a lower-class neighborhood next a Barrio filled with Haitians and lower-class Dominicans. The police are there constantly as are ambulances. My MIL fills me in daily on every death, murder, rape, accident....etc that he hears about. Jarabacoa has a lot of cops for it's population, lots of money here, a lot of it drug money. I have walked in the Calle Del Sol area at 10 pm a number of times, no interactions with cops.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have walked in the Calle Del Sol area at 10 pm a number of times, no interactions with cops.

Indeed Calle Del Sol is probably the only street in the center of town they won't harrass you on due to the amount of cameras and lighting.

I recommend you try another main artery like Imbert, Valerio, Guzman, 30 de Marzo, 16 de Augusto or Circunvalacion after 10pm then get back to me.