Mortgage from BHD

LionKing64

Jun 3, 2020
Michigan
Hi, All

So, I read some of the past conversations about the difficultly in getting a mortgage in the Dominican Republic. I can only imagine since the process for me to get a bank account as a non-resident was painful at least from a state side perspective. So, Why get a mortgage since as many have already reported you need 30-40% down and they only finance for like 12 years. Well, One word, investment protection. I assume that the bank who knows all the tricks that many of the sellers play will always make sure to protect their investment. I don't mind spending some extra money to protect my investment. Any thoughts? I'd like to hear from someone that has actually gone through the mortgage process in the Dominican Republic.

Thanks

- Lion

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Since 2012, we've purchased 3 properties in the DR and sold 2 of them. I have spoken to numerous real estate agents throughout the years and everyone says the same thing. Getting a mortgage for an owner-occupied home from Scotia Bank or any financial institution in the DR is next to impossible. The process is not only lengthy but you'll end up going through lots of rabbit holes with no end in sight. It's cash only, amigo

LionKing64

Jun 3, 2020
Michigan
Since 2012, we've purchased 3 properties in the DR and sold 2 of them. I have spoken to numerous real estate agents throughout the years and everyone says the same thing. Getting a mortgage for an owner-occupied home from Scotia Bank or any financial institution in the DR is next to impossible. The process is not only lengthy but you'll end up going through lots of rabbit holes with no end in sight. It's cash only, amigo
Did you use an attorney to handle the transaction? My biggest issue is making sure the title is clean and no liens are on it.

Lion

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Did you use an attorney to handle the transaction? My biggest issue is making sure the title is clean and no liens are on it.

Lion
Absolutely. It's imperative. About 1% of the transaction price for an experienced real estate attorney with a good reputation. Make sure his fee includes full translation to English of the purchase agreement if you aren't fluent in Spanish.

Reactions: CottageCountry

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
The process is not only lengthy but you'll end up going through lots of rabbit holes with no end in sight. It's cash only, amigo

True . Been there . Done that . Gave up after 3 months . Paid cash …bank and lawyer told us “ You should have done that 3 months ago”. Only in DR.

LionKing64

Jun 3, 2020
Michigan
Absolutely. It's imperative. About 1% of the transaction price for an experienced real estate attorney with a good reputation. Make sure his fee includes full translation to English of the purchase agreement if you aren't fluent in Spanish.

That's a fair price to pay. Do you have any suggestion besides Guzman in Punta Cana?

Reactions: pularvik

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Just tried to buy a piece of land from a guy who had a title for over 10 years. HE has a solid title with deslinde. What could go wrong? Some clown shows up halfway through the process with documents showing he bought the land. None of the lot numbers match between the survey, sales agreement, title, etc. All have different numbers. Argued back and forth now for two weeks, and finally he admitted in so many words "hey it was worth a shot . . . where was the landowner anyway? He has not been around for 10 years" He basically admitted that he tried to scam the land from someone else. Make sure you have a good title and make sure you have a good border around your property and do not let anyone graze their cows or plant things or build a small hut on your land. Otherwise you will have a long battle. Despite him admitting he tried to scam the owner, this guy is still showing up and sending me messages disputing the surveyor's markings. What does it matter to him? He does not own anything!!!!!

• Wow

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Hi, All

So, I read some of the past conversations about the difficultly in getting a mortgage in the Dominican Republic. I can only imagine since the process for me to get a bank account as a non-resident was painful at least from a state side perspective. So, Why get a mortgage since as many have already reported you need 30-40% down and they only finance for like 12 years. Well, One word, investment protection. I assume that the bank who knows all the tricks that many of the sellers play will always make sure to protect their investment. I don't mind spending some extra money to protect my investment. Any thoughts? I'd like to hear from someone that has actually gone through the mortgage process in the Dominican Republic.

Thanks

- Lion
When purchasing a new apartment (if that's the case), the project developer often offers a financing option. Maybe in your case an option to look at this?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I checked with them and they don't, It's up to the buyer.
Do you have a bank account with the bank you want to use for financing?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I lost three days of my 15 days vacation just trying to open a bank account in DR.

I am Dominican / US citizen = employment letter translated apostillada by a court authorize attorney, 2 years income tax, W2 two personal reference etc...

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I lost three days of my 15 days vacation just trying to open a bank account in DR.

I am Dominican / US citizen = employment letter translated apostillada by a court authorize attorney, 2 years income tax, W2 two personal reference etc...
Did you actually get the account in 3 days, thats fast for here what bank? Of Course being Dominican helps.
Hi, All

Thanks

- Lion
Banks will protect their investments but interest rate are very high so in the long run you are not saving on Lawyers fees. A good lawyer will also make sure that everything is right.
I used Guzman in Santo Domingo and they are very professional and know all the tricks in the business. They are not cheap but they will give you the cost upfront in a contract that explains all the detail and process and you have to make a deposit. In both properties I bought they found minor irregularities and even help the seller make the corrections. ( told the seller what was need or would not recommend the sale). If the sale does not go thru they will reimburse you in proportion to how much work they did all explained in writing ahead of time no hidden fees. If you mention you are a DR1 member they give a small discount.
I highly recommend them. Disclosure I am not affiliated with them in any way except a satisfied returning client.

It would be a error to try and save $$ on lawyer fees for buying properties here.

LionKing64

Jun 3, 2020
Michigan

It took me two trips to DR and around 45 days to complete the opening of my account. I had to show 3 years of income, W2, bank statements ...etc

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I went to two different banks, Banco de Reservas which is a government bank.
I won't recommend this bank, to much burocracy and the Internet was down when I finally though everything was ready.
Scotia bank was a lot easier, customer service is exelent, they still require same US documents but the background check is faster specially if you have a bank account with Bank Of America which I do.

Yes I got the accounts in three days!

JJ

Rachelvaldes23

Apr 14, 2020
I went to two different banks, Banco de Reservas which is a government bank.
I won't recommend this bank, to much burocracy and the Internet was down when I finally though everything was ready.
Scotia bank was a lot easier, customer service is exelent, they still require same US documents but the background check is faster specially if you have a bank account with Bank Of America which I do.

Yes I got the accounts in three days!

JJ

Hi, I had the same experience with Scotia Bank, opening an account, lots of paperwork, they even ran our credit from USA, but got it done on 3 days.

We initially open this account with the intentions of getting a Mortgage but after hearing all the nightmares we decided to Pay Cash.

This account now serves other purposes. !

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Hi, I had the same experience with Scotia Bank, opening an account, lots of paperwork, they even ran our credit from USA, but got it done on 3 days.

We initially open this account with the intentions of getting a Mortgage but after hearing all the nightmares we decided to Pay Cash.

This account now serves other purposes. !
Yes I am buying cash too but needed a Comercial back account to wire the money.
Asociación Cibao or San Jose most popular among Dominican people but they are not in the network with international banks.

JJ

I found the OP intriguing, and after more research and reading I believe now that Xtraveller may be closest to my thoughts. For now. Thanks.
Hi, All

Thanks

- Lion
Did you actually get the account in 3 days, thats fast for here what bank? Of Course being Dominican helps.

Banks will protect their investments but interest rate are very high so in the long run you are not saving on Lawyers fees. A good lawyer will also make sure that everything is right.
I used Guzman in Santo Domingo and they are very professional and know all the tricks in the business. They are not cheap but they will give you the cost upfront in a contract that explains all the detail and process and you have to make a deposit. In both properties I bought they found minor irregularities and even help the seller make the corrections. ( told the seller what was need or would not recommend the sale). If the sale does not go thru they will reimburse you in proportion to how much work they did all explained in writing ahead of time no hidden fees. If you mention you are a DR1 member they give a small discount.
I highly recommend them. Disclosure I am not affiliated with them in any way except a satisfied returning client.

It would be a error to try and save $$ on lawyer fees for buying properties here.

CJL56

Mar 21, 2020
The easiest bank that I found to open an account with was Banco Reservas, Just with my passport from U.S., in 3 days I had an account for U.S. dollars as well as a Dominican peso account. If you are on the North Coast there is a branch in Playa Dorada which is very tourist friendly. Some of their ATM's accept deposits as well, especially the one at Jumbo where they recently opened another branch in the back. Hope this helps.

Reactions: campesinadeatl