Mosquitos

kymbillie

Jan 30, 2004
Trust me there is a difference the European stuff seems to attract them!!!

and to further that comment on pasty London skin, alot of us British have italian, Spanish and Slav in us so not all of us go super pink in the sun... Bless the scots and all the red heds!!!

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Am I the only one who thinks it smells like CK one?

Chiri

Listen. I have for the last 35 years lived all over the World. I have never been bitten by a mosquito or any other biter. My first wife, who unfortunately sadly passed away some years ago, put it down to word of mouth ( no pun intended) in the insect World, don't bite B.... because if you do you'll die from alcohol poisoning. It works and is probably cheaper than the deet etc.

Wannago

May 27, 2004
Wales said:
Listen. I have for the last 35 years lived all over the World. I have never been bitten by a mosquito or any other biter. My first wife, who unfortunately sadly passed away some years ago, put it down to word of mouth ( no pun intended) in the insect World, don't bite B.... because if you do you'll die from alcohol poisoning. It works and is probably cheaper than the deet etc.

Maybe that's the way to do it Wales, achieve two objectives by one means. I'll have to give it a try here in the Midwest as well as in the D.R.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The July issue of Reader's Digest magazine reported on an interesting study published in the New England Journal of Medicine reported the results of a study on what repels mosquitos and what does. What works are:

1. OFF! Deep Woods (25% DEET) prevented bites for 302 minutes in mosquito filed cages. OFF! Skintastic (7% DEET) lasted 112 minutes.

2. Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent stopped bites for 120 minutes.

3. Bite Blocker for Kids with 2% soybean oil lasted 95 minutes.

What didn't work:

1. Skin-So_Soft Bug Guard Plus worked for just 23 minutes. Smells better than most repellents but is not an effective mosquito killer.

2. Repellent wristband wearers got bitten within a minute.

3. Citronella candles- no evidence they work.

4. "High tech" devices lure mosquitos with scents or ultrasonic waves, but not all of them. Some attack flesh instead.

leggie

Jun 3, 2004
Hi Londoner,

As someone who only got back yesterday from POP I can tell you I have more than my fair share of Mosquito bites, over 40 on one leg!

As for what works, it beats me. Nothing we took from the UK seemed to have an effect, although not everyone gets bitten so I think it is according to to skin type and how your skin generally reacts to bites.

I would wait until you get there and buy some DEET based product, tends to be more of an American product rather than one that you find in the UK. Take with you something plug product in for mosquitos in your room.

Having been to the Chemist for bites already since I have been back, they have given me some antihistermine tablets, so some of these may be worthwhile. Despite my wonderful collection of bites it did NOT ruin my hols.

Get out there, get some sun and enjoy yourself. BTW The sun in POP is very strong take good suntan lotion or get some there, the products you but out there go up to factor 70! something that we do not have in UK.

Enjoy your hols.

Leggie.