Motorcycle Adventure - Short loop round the Dominican Republic – Tom Junkans

cavebiker

Have a dream, live it. Set a goal, achieve it.
before you leave the country take your ticket to Banco Reservas. If you have a ticket you probably owe 1000 pesos. If you don't pay it, they might get to at customs.
Thanks Bob, Of course with all these memories of days past in the DR, I for sure thought a local customs police (wink) would stop me from boarding the plane to go home :| I have the ticket I can translate no fine. Taxi driver confirms, and they know ;) Cheers!

cavebiker

Alright! Dominican Republic motorcycle adventure continued!
-----------------------------------------------------
Of course skip the dribble if you like and just check out a few photos.
IMG_4517-L.jpg

I try to spot good biker food. Sometimes it’s hard to see but I know now when to take a closer look. Score!

IMG_4519-L.jpg

The locals hanging out here helped translate when I was asked what type of sauce I wanted. I had no clue. Fun group.

IMG_4518-XL.jpg

I did not eat the lettuce, sometimes it is not washed with pure water I remembered. The rest is great.

IMG_4520-XL.jpg

Once I find the mountain route out of town I come across a big Super Cross event just getting started!

IMG_4521-M.jpg

I have my own thing going on today so I just continue, but how cool!

IMG_4523-XL.jpg

The roads are dirt and hard pack and in good shape, mostly.

IMG_4525-XL.jpg

These bikers are fun to talk with. I dig this guy’s Suzuki on the left.

IMG_4526-XL.jpg

I tell the dude “I race a Suzuki 350 (corro Suzuki 350)!”

IMG_4529-XL.jpg

IMG_4532-XL.jpg

IMG_4534-XL.jpg

IMG_4535-XL.jpg

IMG_4536-XL.jpg

IMG_4540-XL.jpg

IMG_4541-XL.jpg

IMG_4543-XL.jpg

IMG_4544-XL.jpg

IMG_4550-L.jpg

IMG_4551-XL.jpg

IMG_4554-M.jpg

Hang on, much more is on the way!

Attachments

• IMG_4517-L[1].jpg
    IMG_4517-L[1].jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 33

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
Next time, write to me. I have contacts that will travel with you on roads you never knew existed and you will see life as it was 100 years ago. When you have done that, you will have seen the Dominican Republic.

Thank you for being adventuresome and enjoying all the DR has to offer. We need more tourists like you.
I always wanted to see that DR, the DR from the Trujillo era. Also if I ever decide to get married in DR that would be the area I'd go to look for a wife, a nice simple campo girl 🥰

cavebiker

Thanks everyone for the comments! So kind :giggle:
Alright! DR motorcycle adventure continued - cavebiker

Navigation was tricky all day but I knew it would be. I’ve tried some of these routes before and have failed. But now with smartphones and offline DR road maps everything is possible. This requires often stops in the shade to check position and make corrections if necessary. Fun stuff and stopping is always a good way to get a feel of the area.

The plan today is to stay at a motel in Navarrete, a nice place Heidi and I stayed at before in route to Punta Rucio. It’s been a long day and I’m running late but I know the motel, I thought. The place turned into condos now, no motel! I see no other motels up or down the main drag so I hit the freeway bypass around Santiago blasting on looking for anything. I see nothing so just take a random exit and start searching. I ask some dude in front of a small market if he knew of any motels near. He hollers at another dude down the block. We all get together, the guy from down the block assures me he knows of a place, all in Spanish. I motion for him to jump on the bike, he does and off we go. Down the road and a couple side streets we stop in front of a building. My buddy gets off and walks over to the door and knocks. A guy behind the door looks through a cage hole and talks. A thumbs up. I confirm, a room starting now all night until 8 AM tomorrow, just me. There is gated private parking and beer on site, unreal what a score! I’ve used these by-the-hour rooms often when traveling Latin America. If it’s not real busy staying the entire night is usually not a problem and the bike security is always top notch, for obvious reasons (wink).

I slip several dollars in Pesos to my helper and offer to take him back to where I found him. He says no, he lives just up the block and he’s stopping for food. Super happy friendly dude.

The motel guy opens the metal gate. By the time I park the bike and chain it to a pole he has a chair setup for me incase I want to hangout outside in the courtyard. Perfect, my room is clean, the bike is right outside, there’s a frig with cold beer and it’s a beautiful night…

IMG_4560-L.jpg

The next morning starts with fog and a drizzle. I stop to look for food and hydration at the same market I got help from yesterday.

IMG_4557-M.jpg

Empanadas! This with water and coffee is a perfect way to start any ride.

IMG_4559-L.jpg

IMG_4572-XL.jpg

I look for a place to chill and eat. The rain is coming down hard now so this place looks good. The palapa is attached to a market where there is a lot of activity. Looks like people chill and drink beer here often, the place is lined with used big beer bottles with a napkin wrapped around. An old guy walked down the street and came under the palapa with me. Everyone is so nice on these back roads. This guy went around to all the big green bottlers and carefully took off the napkins wrapped around them. He ended with a big net stack of them. We said goodbye and he walked back up the street. I get it. Wow. I’m in the real world now…

IMG_4575-M.jpg

More people waiting out the rain. Our conversations our lively no matter how bad my Spanish is.

IMG_4576-XL.jpg

IMG_4579-L.jpg

More rain and another abandoned building shelter opportunity, good stuff. You have to pay special good attention on these roads especially when parking. Even cars will not be happy if they veer too far off the road.

IMG_4580-XL.jpg

Looking for more coffee, a favorite part of biking for me.

IMG_4581-XL.jpg

Good spot.

IMG_4584-XL.jpg

I love the hanging meat in the DR.

IMG_4586-XL.jpg

Taking the back way to Puerto Plata. This is the first time I’ve seen it paved. It still has its charm and I love it and the improvement for the people has to be huge.

IMG_4587-XL.jpg

IMG_4588-XL.jpg

More shoulders to be careful of. But at least it’s paved and hopefully future tropical torrents won’t destroy the shoulder and road.

IMG_4590-XL.jpg

IMG_4591-XL.jpg

IMG_4594-XL.jpg

A good end to the day, Puerto Plata Malecon always a favorite.

IMG_4595-XL.jpg

IMG_4605-XL.jpg

Cruise ships now dock near town and people get bused in. It seems the cleanliness the security and the general bling of the area is up. I like it but will always miss the day when local food and drink karts lined the Malecon. I just don’t miss the garbage on the beach back then. In a perfect world you would have both. Maybe local food cart make cruise ship tourists nervous? It’s a wild atmosphere, I can see that. Again both would be ideal.

IMG_4610-XL.jpg

IMG_4612-XL.jpg

Hang on! There is still more Dominican Republic ride report to come!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
All the Dominicans were running around excited because Ty Pennington from Extreme Makeovers was scouting locations for houses to be renovated.

Reactions: cavebiker

cavebiker

IMG_4613-XL.jpg

Puerto Plata upscale coffee spots on the ‘land side’ of the Malecon keeps getting better. The former discos now seaside café are all fun places to sit drinking coffee or whatever and or eating and watching the world go by, just great.

IMG_4618-XL.jpg

The back country between Puerto Plata and Sabaneta is super cool so that’s what today is all about.

IMG_4620-XL.jpg

IMG_4632-XL.jpg

IMG_4634-XL.jpg

IMG_4636-XL.jpg

FF9gHXX/0/3tBj4F5Qwkhq83gP4FqP78WmTZDqz647KtcwpXjC/XL/IMG_4636-XL.jpg
I never saw this bike running again after the crossing. Based on where I think the carburetor is, not good. I turn around although I can hear a big party happening across the way! Another time…

IMG_4639-XL.jpg

República Dominicana.

IMG_4640-XL.jpg

IMG_4643-XL.jpg

Hang on, more is on the way ;)

cavebiker

Alright! Off the beaten path motorcycle adventure continued, cavebiker style!
IMG_4644-XL.jpg

The water crossing did not appeal to me so I turned around and get lost. I know about where I am so keep going, as long as there is a road.

IMG_4647-XL.jpg

Out in the middle of nowhere a huge party is going on!

IMG_4650-XL.jpg

The band is high energy Merengue everyone looks happy. This is great!

IMG_4653-XL.jpg

Another party supply truck shows up!

IMG_4655-XL.jpg

IMG_4656-XL.jpg

IMG_4657-XL.jpg

A familiar intersection, super, I'm headed in the right direction.

IMG_4659-XL.jpg

IMG_4660-XL.jpg

Dominican Republic North Coast.

IMG_4661-XL.jpg

IMG_4664-XL.jpg

Almost back to Sasua. I ask a moto taxi guy if he knows of a motorcycle wash. I follow him.

IMG_4667-XL.jpg

Perfect, I get the deluxe wash for just dollars and only a few clicks from the moto rental shop.

IMG_4670-XL.jpg

The boots get a power wash also. Nice!

Hang on, almost done!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This is giving me a ton of great flashbacks of my roaming days!!

cavebiker

Alright! Conclusion- Dominican Republic Motorcycle Adventure, cavebiker style!

IMG_4671-XL.jpg

The bike is returned as good as new, I like that.

IMG_4673-XL.jpg

I’m hiking through Sasua old town. There’s no shortage of open-air bars and cafes here, time for a celebratory cocktail. Perfect I did it!

IMG_4674-XL.jpg

Pizza moto delivery is big here on the North coast. It's a great thing.

I hike up to the main road that connects to Cabarete and wait for a guagua, my favorite way to travel in the DR, next to a moto.
IMG_4676-XL.jpg

Cabarete has a huge traffic jam so I just get off the guagua and walk the last few blocks. Holiday celebrations are well under way, fun atmosphere.

IMG_4677-XL.jpg

IMG_4678-L.jpg

Unreal! Almost to our rental I come across a pizza delivery for me and it's Heidi! What timing, and, how did I get so lucky!

P1150336-XL.jpg

What a great couple weeks in the DR our favorite place in the world.

P1150370-XL.jpg

Cabarete Beach

P1150343-XL.jpg

Thanks for following along. Salud.

Hope you enjoyed this little Dominican Republic report. What a blast!