Move to France

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Hi,

We're thinking of moving to France for a couple of years - does anybody know what visa my husband would need?-he is here in the UK on a spouse visa (since May '07). Is it the same as Spain?-the Spanish embassy said as he's married to a UK citizen we just need to show we have somewhere to live - he doesn't need a visa.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Kate

loobyloo

Aug 3, 2008
Hi Kate,
As a UK National/Citizen you have the automatic right to live/work anywhere in the European Union no visa required. I'm not sure if your husbands UK spouse visa would include the same rights. I suggest you contact your local MP he/she should be able to clarify this for you, they usually hold drop in surgeys one evening a week and Sat mornings.

Good Luck
looby

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I think loobyloo is right. Because EU law overrides national law, and EU citizens (and their spouse) have the right to love and work everywhere in the EU, it is actually easier to move with your non-EU partner to another EU country than to your own (where national restrictions would apply).
BTW, a Schengen visa, with same regulation for all countries, is only the 3 month tourist visa, not residency, for which all countries have their own regulation (so could be completely different for France than for Spain).

Reactions: AnnaC