Moving to D.R., never even been there, HELP...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Question, how well do the INTERNET CAFEs do over there?

I do not know how well INTERNET CAFEs do, but they are a DIME A DOZEN down here. So that is not a good sign.

Just to clear the air about salaries here, be prepared to have a long, hard laugh when you hear how low they are.

Many people work long hours and 6/7 days a week for less than $100 U.S. per month. Many, many do not work at all.

Don - SantiagoDR

U.S. Citizen living in DR.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
In my humble opinion.......

This is what you need to do in chronological order.

1-) Let Your husband go and establish a "beach head" there.
2-) Join him later, bring your son along. Take as much of a sabbatical as it's prudent to do. Preferably when school's out.
3-) visit places and large cities to see "what's out there".
4-) Thence, all three of you need to compare the pros and cons of moving to DR. There are simply myriad issues to weight, compare and digest.
5-) You must decide what's paramount in your lives. Adjectives such as education, job or business opportunities, general environment, difference in culture, availability of basic necessities,( water, electricity, etc.). Cost of living, (it ain't cheap). And finally 'happiness' are just a fraction of the important subjects that'll need to be addressed and considered.
I can tell you from experience that the one thing that's worth working hard for in life, is how much happiness/gusto you get out of it.
Education and money, although they sometimes go hand-in-hand, will not guaranteed you bliss.
Life in the US can be advantageous in many ways but it can also be a totally depressing existence. Life in DR has many economic limitations but it can also be a blast to live through.
Y'all must decide what priority number one is. no one else can. good luck.

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
what a honest and poignant answer. I've been reading for a week or so, your reply is the is what i needed to hear. thank-you