moving to DR for +6 months - questions....

Sep 4, 2012
Quito Ecuador has very pretty women. You can't compare Dominican women with women from Ecuador they are like night and day. Also check out a city named Cuenca Ecuador. A lot cheaper then DR.

To each his own. Most women in Ecuador are from Indian descend, thus their body does not speaks volumes. The best looking ones are indeed in Cuenca and anywhere in "La Costa." Women from "La Sierra" aren't specifically beauty's.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Why move to the tropics if you have to put up with the cold. My first try out of the USA was Esquipulas Guatemala. The land of eternal spring, and i was always chilly and wet. Mold and moss everywhere and no hot days to balance it out. Hated it!
Der Fish
Panama City is wet also. If I had a choice cold weather would win all the time. I hate sweating all the time. When I visited my uncle in Panama I would sweat right through my shirt at NIGHT in PC.

BTW Have you ever been to the club with all Colombianas in Panama City?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Panama City is one of my favorites in the whole world. The city has this vibe that does not quit. The thing I LOVE about Panama City is there are a lot of different women in the city other then panamenas. I could not live in Panama City because I would be BROKE. Once I met a woman from Sao Paulo, Brazil and she was FLY!!!! You are a lucky man Raymond :)

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
Why move to the tropics if you have to put up with the cold.

yes, exactly... temperatures over 20 Celsius both day and night are OK for me. even 35 C in the day is OK for me. much better than central europe's autumn with raining,snowing and temperatures averaging 0 Celsius. actually few years ago that was my priority - the weather (and that's why I moved to SE Asia that time). now i'm a little older ;-) and I know that there also different factors as - who do you know at some place, with who can you talk to and what to do there finally.. how you can spend time promising way, not only purely hedonistic....well at least I say so ;-)

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
800 usd/ month ? easily done here, especially if you live in one place for longer time. even for backpacking 30/usd budget is Ok here...

sorry guys i don't need SUV :D:D and don't pay for sex...

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
No one has told the op that the appt's in the RD come with nothing yes nothing no light bulbs , no toilet seats , you say it is cheep if he eats at home . He needs a frig a stove pots pans plates . The list is endless. The internett that he wants so he can work. he well even have to pay for the cable at 8choa just to put it in . It is black girls he wants and don't kid your self he wants to lurn something rather then just bum around ashia . Well if you come you well lurn something all right bleave you me man . He needs to find a furnished place and a torist spot is the best and cheepest for that . May be the backpack crowded can help him in some small town voilenter kind of stuff that well help with housing . Good luck man but it cost me like 5000 US just to get a place set so I was able to cook at home !

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
I'm OP and.....
I am renting now big room in good standard in Dominican family house (to learn spanish) for 6000 pesos/ month. All included - luz, wifi, hot water and so on. This is in Santiago...I know that I overpay for it, but the factor of being whole day with Spanish speaking people is big plus for me.

In santo Domingo you can rent easily apartament for 10,000-12,000 pesos/ month. Furnitured...I know because I was there and asked..All I see everywhere is "for rent" , "for sale" - definitely buyer market.
i'm sorry but you can eat dinner for 120 pesos here with salad and water...How is that expensive ? Sweets made from coconut are for 20-30 pesos...How is that expensive ? fresh juice ? 40-50 pesos....Coffee 30-60 pesos.....
por favor :D :D

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Yes if you are smart you can definitely save here. My morning coffee is 25 pesos. I so don't miss Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts (well sometimes I miss DD iced coffee) and paying those high prices. My daily commute to work rt is 50 pesos. Don't miss the ever increasing cost of the NYC metrocard. Also it's such a new concept that the longer you stay in a place the cheaper it becomes. My rent has been lowered considerably since I've agreed to stay one year. Such a different concept than the rent increases in the states.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
i am starting course today.... got 3 weeks of absence to cover up, as i joined later....and yes, the course is with a lot of black girls, as i am the only white man in there ;] got some basic of spanish now, but these are only basics... and with spoken "street" dominican spanish i barely understand anything ;]

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Cool man . That street stuff is tuff . 1/2 the girls in there are there for the purpes of meating a gringo . And 1/2 want to get a batter job some day . If you can help it try not to commit to any of them . Have fun and lurn . I wish I took the rout that you are now on . Keep us posted on your advenchurs .

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Cool man . That street stuff is tough . 1/2 the girls in there are there for the purpose of meeting a gringo . And 1/2 want to get a better job some day . If you can help it try not to commit to any of them . Have fun and learn . I wish I took the route that you are now on . Keep us posted on your adventures.

Great advice, I cleaned it up a wittle beet.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Curious, San Pedro de Macoris will be a great area for you to live as it is only 25 minutes from las americas international airport. 1 hour by bus to Santo Domingo and just 45 minutes from La Romana airport and just 15 minutes from JUAN DOLIO which has the first or second best beach in the eastern part of the country. In San Pedro they a university called UCE which is house to a lot of foreign students from the USA that comes for medical school. There is also an ocean front area called Malecon de San Pedro which is always full of single local girls which are not prostitue and the price for cost of living there is very cheap. PM if you need more details about this city. San Pedro is also home of about 75 to 80% Dominicans mejor league baseball players.

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
I'm OP and.....
I am renting now big room in good standard in Dominican family house (to learn spanish) for 6000 pesos/ month. All included - luz, wifi, hot water and so on. This is in Santiago...I know that I overpay for it, but the factor of being whole day with Spanish speaking people is big plus for me.

In santo Domingo you can rent easily apartament for 10,000-12,000 pesos/ month. Furnitured...I know because I was there and asked..All I see everywhere is "for rent" , "for sale" - definitely buyer market.
i'm sorry but you can eat dinner for 120 pesos here with salad and water...How is that expensive ? Sweets made from coconut are for 20-30 pesos...How is that expensive ? fresh juice ? 40-50 pesos....Coffee 30-60 pesos.....
por favor :D :D

Thanks for your reply curious, like you i dont know why people try to push prices up and you; re totally right it is a buyers market!!