Moving to DR for school!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
...I believe that the car must be no more then 5 years old if memory serves me correctly but then again because of my age my memory isn't what..what.. what was I going to say?... Rick

Rick, for curiosity sake, when does a car stops being 'old' and becomes a 'classic'?

-

elly

Apr 18, 2006
How's real estate down there?! Do you think I'm gonna be better off buying a smal condo instead of paying rents?!! Is it like U.S that you can get loans and only pay the interest?!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Mirador,
In the US different states have different rules as to what constitutes a 'classic'. Having said that I sometimes wonder why there are no 'classic' cars in the DR. Of course there could be but in my 9 years here I've never seen any. I don't get around like a person such as yourself so it could just be a case of little experience on my part.

Rick

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
elly said:
How's real estate down there?! Do you think I'm gonna be better off buying a smal condo instead of paying rents?!! Is it like U.S that you can get loans and only pay the interest?!

Rentals are really very reasonable still. I do not know of any loans that you can get where you only pay the interest. Interest rates here are very high, so, it is not a good idea to borrow money.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Mirador said:
Rick, for curiosity sake, when does a car stops being 'old' and becomes a 'classic'?

-

Actually I think it is 20 years. I had a classic once: a 1980 Toyota Corolla station wagon in mint condition. In other words, I drove a publico! Down here they are like the "cepillos" -- no one wants them. In NYC, however, I was constantly being offered money for the thing. In fact I sold it at a profit.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
elly said:
Does anyone know how much a general practitioner make annually in DR?!
It depends. Whether you work in the public or private sector. A government employed physician will make around RD$ 30,000 a month. That is relatively little more than other government employees with much less education or responsibility. They have had to resort to strikes to reach this level. A physician in private practice will make more, but will not be on relative economic scale a physician in the US will be. Private physicians in the DR can earn an upper middle class income. They are usually not the high-end earners that their US counterparts are.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Well that excludes the politicians and businesses which depend on government contracts. The legitimate high-end earners in the DR are successful self-employed businessman, upper management of large corporations, lawyers in large firms, commissioned salespeople of big ticket items, etc. Many fields will have its stars making the big bucks while others in the same field are starving.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Medical School? why am I even bothering to help you?

No self respecting school would accept you for a medical degree program in Spanish unless you can prove proficiency in that language. Therefore, either you have applied to one of the degree mills, OR

you are going to one of the two places here that offer medical degrees in English: Unibe and Utesa. I do not think Utesa is recognized by the California Medical board, so it would have to be Unibe for you. So you don't really need Spanish.

Don't sweat it.

HB :D:D