Moving to nyc. Need advice.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
#5. The Dominican communities here are mostly Washington Heights in Manhattan, NY; Bronx, NY, Patterson, NJ and Haverstraw; NY. It's a personal decision on whether you want to try to eventually find a place in one of these. One poster mentioned you want to 'Americanize' as soon as possible. There is definitely a benefit to this for many things (social life, English language learning/use, job/career locations etc.). By 2 or 3 months, you'll know if you want to permanently live in/near a Dominican community or not.

Not DR specific, just general about immigration; In my country (North-Western Europe), the government is in fact discouraging immigrants to move to just one particular area. Why? Because of exactly what is described above. IMO, there's not that much point in moving abroad after career and better living standard if you are keen to staying where other people from your home country. Immersion is the key.

#6. Job: Get as much research done as possible BEFORE coming to NYC. Once you're here is not the time to learn. Look at websites such as Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com and Indeed.com. Search for jobs in your field and sign up for alerts. This will give you a good idea of what/how many jobs are available and what salary ($$$) range they pay.

This is a very good second point I'd like to comment. I would personally not move abroad just to "find something", unless I would be in a situation where that is mandatory to survive. The OP said to have a job, car and everything in the DR, but no family. I would first try to everything possible online before even thinking of moving.

When you have some job lined up in the sense that they have invited you for an interview - go for it of course! It's just good to keep in mind that just as JimW write above, you can pretty much done online, and there are also many companies that might be willing to carry out first interviews online/Skype etc. Getting your CV online is such a basic first step, there's so much more you can do as well. Just be sure to make your CV stands out though.

In Europe, many companies even state on their website that they don't want anything physical from you until it's time for a personal interview. And anything that's not physical can be very easily sent over via a thing called internet.