Moving To Puerto Plata!!

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
:) I have heard lots of people use the term " the Dominican " as a slang term. Whatever floats their boat. It's just a term.

I say Dominican all the time... just assume people know what I'm talking about... plus I'm too lazy to say Republic.
If anyone ever corrected me in person I'd tell them to go f*ck themselves and assume they know what I mean by that too.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
376097_10150561617601703_383367286702_10803538_1325141037_n.jpg

LOL Barbie, always calling a spade a spade.......

DR1's Grammar Police are always on duty :classic:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
la barbie rules :)
i always say and write DR, easier and faster. the dominican does not move me, maybe because in polish it can be republika dominikany or simply dominikana.
amanda, you have another beer on me, let's unite against soulless grammar police :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pliz do and bring me some magazines, cosmo, elle, whateva. come for dinner and all brugal you can drink.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Hey Everyone, I will be moving to Puerto Plata in July of this year...I am going to be teaching at one of the schools and will be staying near the Playa Darado complex. I have traveled to Dominican many times but being a young female now moving i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of great places to go in the area, restaurants, markets, shopping, nightlife ect. Thanks for everyones help!! :)

I find it unlikely that your post is even authentic.. No one should move to the DR until they have at least 700 posts on DR1 !

http://www.dominica.dm/

amandamichelle

Apr 26, 2012
la barbie rules :)
i always say and write DR, easier and faster. the dominican does not move me, maybe because in polish it can be republika dominikany or simply dominikana.
amanda, you have another beer on me, let's unite against soulless grammar police :)

haha I'm fully down for that beer, as well as uniting against the grammar police...from now on i'll stick with DR :laugh:

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
if you guys had any suggestions of great places to go in the area, restaurants, markets, shopping, nightlife ect. Thanks for everyones help!! :)

Plenty of choices of restaurants, however not many close to Playa Dorada that I know of within my budget. When not eating in, I tend to enjoy several great local street operators, and definitely the pizza restaurants here. There are 3 main markets here in POP, La Sirena, Tropical, and Jose Luis Supermercado. La Sirena is the largest and is considered the only superstore in the north coast. Your shopping options really depend on the quality of clothing and pricing you can afford. Locals mainly shop in two areas, the Jimenez area, and La Pulga market. You will also find many tiendas along Beller Street in the city. For nightlife, there is two main discos, Coppa and Lighthouse. Coppa you will find at Costa Dorada Resort. Lighthouse Disco is located at Ocean World. If you want to mix with the locals with no problem being solo, then you will find places like El Furgon, Bottles, Boheimas, Gin Bar, Stragos, and Rancho Tipico. Others I could suggest as long as you go with someone that lives here would be La Canita, Charlys, and Chalo on 16th Ave. On weekends the malecon is a nice place to hang out during the days, especially when the sun is shining. If you wish, PM me if you have any other other question you may have. Transportation cost, POP banking, etc....

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Plenty of choices of restaurants, however not many close to Playa Dorada that I know of within my budget. When not eating in, I tend to enjoy several great local street operators, and definitely the pizza restaurants here. There are 3 main markets here in POP, La Sirena, Tropical, and Jose Luis Supermercado....

You omitted my favorite Supermercado Silverio Messon located downtown and reached from Playa Dorada by taking either the Sosua/Puerto Plata or the Munoz/Puerto Plata public taxis (both pass in front of Playa Dorada).

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Must we go through this EVERYTIME?
Leave the poor girl alone.

We will most definitely NOT leave the poor girl alone. Don't come on a f*cking forum asking advice about your move to a country that you don't even know the name of.
Get real.

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Where is this Super MercadoSilvero Messon?
I have my own car, so will not be asking a taxista to drop me there.
Thanks
Der Fish

it does not exist anymore. for a looong time, actually. it used to be located right opposite tienda jimenez on camino real. jimenez now has an outlet in what used to be silverio messon but the majority of the building is vacant and looking for a buyer.

as far as the girl's story not making sense when it comes to the location. i think she knows nada about POP, was maybe driven around a bit and everything seemed so close :)

amandamichelle

Apr 26, 2012
It's kinda looking that way. Starts out that she will be staying near Playa Dorada and then another post says that she will be right near Jose Luis. That's when it lost authenticity for me.
Der Fish

The place I will be renting is located between the Playa Dorado complex and the Jose Luis market, which on a map was shown to be very close lol I don't know why someone would lie about moving...

amandamichelle

Apr 26, 2012
We will most definitely NOT leave the poor girl alone. Don't come on a f*cking forum asking advice about your move to a country that you don't even know the name of.
Get real.

SHALENA

I think that response is a little much because i used "Dominican" instead of "Dominican Republic" I dont know the name? lol how about simply not responding?? As it has been said before many people have used the term "Dominican" but thank you for your two cents on the subject.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
The place I will be renting is located between the Playa Dorado complex and the Jose Luis market, which on a map was shown to be very close lol I don't know why someone would lie about moving...

Do you even know where you will be living ? Just picked a dot on a map and said.... Here !

Didn't know there was a Playa Dorado ?

I'm the first to admit that I'm lazy to say Dominican Republic and say Dominican for everything... but sh!t you're coming here to teach ? and you can't spell ? Maybe you should post which school you will be teaching at so anyone that wants their kids to get a decent education can avoid it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Calm down people. The girl has, let's see: at least two invites for beers, a bunch of nasties regarding her use of Dominican without a noun and regarding her location to be.

Okay, she also got some good advice as to nightlife and an offer to help her with banking and other stuff.

Amanda, a lot of that stuff was said with tongue in cheek.

For really good shopping you might want to look at Santiago say, once a month?, for your needs. Depending on your needs you can probably find everything you consume on a daily basis in POP. Basic foodstuffs are relatively cheap and easy to come by.

Oh yes, the Grammar Police also offer coffee to repentant offenders if they should manage to get to Santiago.....

HB

FYI: In a series of "Letters to Evelina," written by Dr. Felipe Moscoso Puello nearly 100 years ago, he says to the lady: "....the Dominican Republic, more generally known as Haity, an error that we don't have the time to repeal, poetically called Quisqueya, which seems to be true historically, and vulgarly Santo Domingo, like that......"

Last edited by a moderator:

luckyduck

Jun 30, 2011
Dude - wtf ! I am the queen of beer...

So okay, you do not like her comments....fine. But personal attacks are not welcome on these threads. You need to harness your venom a bit...add some humor or something....be nasty but in a humorous way....or don't post at all....

This edit is brought to you by your friendly, HB.....

Last edited by a moderator: