Moving To Punta Cana from Canada my blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
One time I called the Dominican embassy and when I asked to speak to the "Consul" because it seemed I was talking to the wall, the young lady NOT only did NOT know where he was, BUUUUT didn't even know his full name!!......Yeah....That's how well-informed/trained SOME of them are!!.

ALL we can do for SOME of these KNOW-IT-ALL, is wish them luck and hope that God have mercy on their souls!.

Members who know a thing or two about the DR have adviced her....People who live in the DR have adviced her.....BUTTTT, I guess that since she has been to the DR a total of......(BRUMS PLEASE)....2 TIMES, that makes her an expert on EVERYTHING DOMINICAN.

Btw: If it's true she doesn't need a physical, that's really messed-up!!.....So does that means that ANY person with ALL kind of diseases can just move to the DR, just like that?.

Btw 2: WOOOOOOOOOOWWWW, she will be making the equivalent of 92 dollars a week.....GREAT to know SOME people have such "high" aspirations!!.

AMAZING!!.

There's something more to this story.......Mrs Georgina didn't raise no dummy!!. ;)

Your forums are so informative. At the same time, you guys kill me... I'm dying with laughter, dying. Nothing to else to say. Cheers.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Miss November, you're headed for a hard lesson. Make sure you have a valid return ticket and some money hidden away that no-one knows about. Make sure that you know at least 3 ways to get to the airport quickly. Don't tell anyone else about this.

Otherwise, have a hell-of-a-good-time!

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Miss November, you're headed for a hard lesson. Make sure you have a valid return ticket and some money hidden away that no-one knows about. Make sure that you know at least 3 ways to get to the airport quickly. Don't tell anyone else about this. Otherwise, have a hell-of-a-good-time!

Sounds like sound advice . . . and please come back and tell us how it all worked out. For you the glass is obviously half-full while for some others it's almost empty.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
go to my blog u can find out :)

Anymore links to your blog will be removed.
Sorry, we do not allow promotion of blogs unless they are hosted by DR1 within our blog section.

If you have any questions, PM or email me.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Miguel named the whole 9 yards, we all saw many like that coming, as far as my knowledge we saw the same quantity going, too, nothing to add.
Chris (Mod) added Plan-B, i would recommend to keep that backup plan in mind, i saw often enough how it can end without it.
we may sound funny sometimes, but there's been no BS on this thread in none of the former posts, they told you the true facts including the DR1-bord-Lawyer's advice.
to the embassy prob:
i never had to deal with a dominican embassy in some country, but i started end 2005 to communicate with the German embassy in St Domingo to be prepared on time for a travel planned summer 2006, as a shame on that very costy by taxes payed bunch of Party-people i just want to mention that i til today still wait on a answer by phone/Fax/e-mail, i received not even one, and i don't have a prob with non german speaking personal at the German embassy-phone because my spanish is fluent (i mention that point just thinking about a german tourist with a urgent problem dialing the German Embassy's phone number, of course without any knowledge of the spanish language), i can not count to how many people i talked by phone and how many e-mails i wrote, i left also my Fax number to send me some regulations aso about the present issue, the result for all times been ZERO.
maybe they are also too busy to take care about their domestic animals and throwing big parties to be in the papers afterwards.

i have 13 years in the country, many of the people who gave their advice above carry much more time on the island than i do, but even when i arrived nobody cared about papers/documents aso, i spent my first 5 years here on the island without a thing, to leave for a vacation visit in europe been managed by slipping a 10 or 20 buck note over the desk by that time.
i did my residency and all that stuff just 8 years ago, times changed, i would not want to be without the stuff today of course, running a own business today should be backed up by following 'some' rules.
during my "free" times i had one motorbike accident which i passed luckily withour mayor trouble, but the 3 days at Hospiten in Punta Cana costed me a $1.600.-(US) and that i had to pay from my own pocket of course, and i had minor injuries, so imagine in what trouble you can get in case of no-insurance or not-valid insurance for missing some paper work, not to mention that something with mayor insuries could happen, too.
the OP did not sound like there's some financial backup.
hope you guys have the better weekend weather than i do, 20+Knots of wind, all over rainy and that will sorrily stay the same for tomorrow here on the east.
time for some cold ones, lol.
Mike

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Mercy on You

...i got all my info well.... i did all my home work, i asked around.... And i dont need no blood test, or x ray.. thats the weirdest thing ive ever heard....

Thank you for your insights.
Without you many of us would not know how the knots are tied here.
Do come.
You'll make people happy.
(Well, at least one... :cheeky: )

This country needs you(r money) and lives on blue-eyed people like you. :pirate:

May the Caribbean gods have mercy on you.

Janin

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
from-paradise.blogspot.com
ok so how about when I get there, and when I "survive" all this i can write over here in my DR1 blog and make some of you feel not so "smart" about yourselves, just because someone doesn't go by an opinion that you state doesn't mean they don't know anyhting, and for "there must be something else" comment
Ridiculous, just wait and see...
Thanks for nothing to some of you, and to the ones who arent judgement and dont get off by ganging up on a newbie
Thank you for your real advice
Ill see u guys soon as ill be blogging and not posting on this board most of the time.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I really think that you're missing the point.

It's not that you might be able to get away with something, it's rather that you shouldn't bank on it. For example: I have been through security (the word used advisedly) at Punta Cana airport (2005) carrying a Swiss Army Knife -- no problem. I went through "security" at PPO with a bottle of water (2007) -- no problem. But I don't suggest that anyone should rely on this information as authority to carry knives and liquids on board an airplane.

I have a feeling that the moderator will shortly close this thread because of the heated nature of coem comments, and -- it's just about run its course. If this happens just open a new one to tell us all in a month or two. I for one won't remember to look up your blog but I'm keen to hear the next installments.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
This I know for a fact - so I will only state one thing....

The hotel/resort that employs you will make you get a HIV test, a pregnancy test and other blood work for things that escape me now!

This is standard procedure for employment. They do not want to employ someone with Aids, they do not want to employ someone who is pregnant (and I believe this is because they will have to pay the employee the equivalent to Maternity Benefits here in Canada).

This was the explanation given to me when I was hired at not one - but two resorts in the DR, and as far as I know this policy has not changed since then.

The residency rules escape me at this point - but let us say for kicks and giggles - back then it was a whole different ball game!

Oh, and I do have to say one more thing - and this is a fact also! Change the attitude and fast - attitude is what makes or breaks a great experience in the DR. I beg of you to at least show the Dominicans that you will be living with and working with more respect than you have shown the VERY HELPFUL members of DR1. If you don't, be prepared for a very lonely and possible problematic journey.

Marlie

Over and out

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
from-paradise.blogspot.com
i am not worried one bit for me in the dr becasue i have never had a problem with my attitude its one of the main REASONS i got hired in the d.r and you are the first to point that out, the reason why u think i portray "attitude"" because the helpfull adivce that SOME people give me are very rude ones, if you go check back for yourself.
Other than that thanks for the Legal advice

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Please don't misunderstand us - we actually wish you the best.

Here is what happens not just in this thread - we get asked for advice - we provide it - the original poster does not like what they hear - and then they start arguing with us.

FACT - many of us actually know what is going on

FACT - so many come here thinking it SHOULD be a certain way.

FACT - it isn't that way at all.

We tried to help. We hope you make it. Please let us know what ACTUALLY transpires for you. Good luck!

backinthedr

Apr 10, 2004
atitude adjustment

ok so how about when I get there, and when I "survive" all this i can write over here in my DR1 blog and make some of you feel not so "smart" about yourselves, just because someone doesn't go by an opinion that you state doesn't mean they don't know anyhting, and for "there must be something else" comment
Ridiculous, just wait and see...
Thanks for nothing to some of you, and to the ones who arent judgement and dont get off by ganging up on a newbie
Thank you for your real advice
Ill see u guys soon as ill be blogging and not posting on this board most of the time.

I can't blame you for doing your homework, but for your own good, if you expect to hack it here......keep an open mind, your legs closed, and for God's sake change your 'know it all attitude' Humble youself, and maybe some of the old time reps will take you under their wing and show you the ropes.
I sincerely wish you luck, and hope it works out..but I have my doubts.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Oh, and I do have to say one more thing - and this is a fact also! Change the attitude and fast - attitude is what makes or breaks a great experience in the DR. I beg of you to at least show the Dominicans that you will be living with and working with more respect than you have shown the VERY HELPFUL members of DR1. If you don't, be prepared for a very lonely and possible problematic journey.

Methinks this young woman has yet to work out the difference between being independent & resilient (good qualities for the DR) and combative & pugnacious (not such good qualities for the DR). But learning to be laid back about the 'rude' responses comes with maturity. And seeing rudeness where none exists comes with.............less maturity. Never mind, Dominicans are absolutely ace at sorting this sort of thing out so if she gets nothing else Miss November will certainly be in for an educational experience. I think, Marlie, you and I have seen this happen a few times............?

Does Canada have a consular rep. in Punta Cana? Advance word in his/her ear might be deemed to be a favour so they know when to book their vacation...............

Let's not read the OP wrong folks. There is much of the bravura of the frightened child showing.

gemmita

Dec 17, 2007
Wow, Miss November, I cannot agree with you more that there are some rude people on replying to your thread!!
There is a big difference between giving someone advice and trying to bring someone down!
Have some respect people!

Good Luck with everything miss november, but do always be prepared for the worst!!

One time I called the Dominican embassy and when I asked to speak to the "Consul" because it seemed I was talking to the wall, the young lady NOT only did NOT know where he was, BUUUUT didn't even know his full name!!......Yeah....That's how well-informed/trained SOME of them are!!.

ALL we can do for SOME of these KNOW-IT-ALL, is wish them luck and hope that God have mercy on their souls!.

Members who know a thing or two about the DR have adviced her....People who live in the DR have adviced her.....BUTTTT, I guess that since she has been to the DR a total of......(BRUMS PLEASE)....2 TIMES, that makes her an expert on EVERYTHING DOMINICAN.

Btw: If it's true she doesn't need a physical, that's really messed-up!!.....So does that means that ANY person with ALL kind of diseases can just move to the DR, just like that?.

Btw 2: WOOOOOOOOOOWWWW, she will be making the equivalent of 92 dollars a week.....GREAT to know SOME people have such "high" aspirations!!.

AMAZING!!.

There's something more to this story.......Mrs Georgina didn't raise no dummy!!. ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dear "GUMMITA" Why Don't You Just Contact "Miss NOVERMBER"????

You and her can be the "Charter Members" of the "LOSERS" Club!!

I notice that this is your first post???
MAKE IT YOUR LAST!!!!
Cris Colon

In case you haven't noticed,this thread "DIED" on the 3rd. of this month!

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I was sort of hoping she would get back to us and update us on what's going on...if she did end up going to the DR, or if she decided to stay in Canada or what...

Some ppl were a bit hard on her, but most gave her real advice....

oh well...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I was sort of hoping she would get back to us and update us on what's going on...if she did end up going to the DR, or if she decided to stay in Canada or what...

Some ppl were a bit hard on her, but most gave her real advice....

oh well...

This reminds of a great line pronounced by Paul Newman in the great film "Cool Hand Luke".......STOP FEEDING OFF ME.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.