Moving to the DR

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
500 from him?

bellissima_81 said:
Just wondering if 1000$ US is enough a month for me to live confortable (like still have money on the side to go out) I will have a roomate so rent will be slipt in 2 and also the grocery and electricity

Well, as you said:
"...I've been with my man since last july..."
all will work out fine.

4 % probability that is.

m'frog

Last edited:

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
mountainfrog said:
Well, as you said:
"...I've been with my man since last july..."
all will work out fine.

5 % probability that is.

m'frog

im presently single...... but ill be moving with a friend i had for a couple of yrs who moved to the DR in january and we will be roomates and wanted to know if it was enough money!!!!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
It is really difficult to say, as it is very individual.
Count what your rent, gas, water, cable etc ( fixed expenses) will be, and then you can easier give advice on what the rest will cost you.

I have friends that live on 4000 US a month and still feel they don?t spoil themselves, as well as friends who live on 1000-2000 a month and live fine.

It depends on your fixed expenses, transportation.
Do you plan on taking insurances, how much will you spend on your cellphone, will you have internet etc etc.
Eat out, eat at home..

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
New Situation

bellissima_81 said:
I've been with my man since last july we see eachother almost every 3 months and im actually planning on going there for 4 months in sept but b4 he gets to come in my country i will have to be 100% sure of the love ....

bellissima_81 said:
im presently single......

Thank you for the update.

Ciao bella.

m'frog

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
With A Little Help From A Friend

bellissima_81 said:
... a friend...who moved to the DR in january and we will be roomates and wanted to know if it was enough money!!!!

Do ask your friend and future roommate.
There's a five-month experience you can tap.

m'frog

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
It turns out I was just up in Cabarete doing a story on a computer programmer whiz kid, so I can confirm that there is wireless service there through Verizon. They give you a card and a little antenna that slips into your laptop (dont know fi they have a version for Mac) and you ride the internet via their cellular network.

However, the service was much faster when it was new, there are too many users on the network so it is slow. I also think it is unreliable. I used this same network to cover the Elections and we had trouble with it. I dont know how much it costs, but I do know it is pricey.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
No, you have to use the card that comes with the Verizon service and connects you to it. It fits in the slot on your Dell on the side there. I am pretty sure that the wireless card you have in place will not work with their network. But you can verify this when you get here. It wont be cheap.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
macocael said:
No, you have to use the card that comes with the Verizon service and connects you to it. It fits in the slot on your Dell on the side there. I am pretty sure that the wireless card you have in place will not work with their network. But you can verify this when you get here. It wont be cheap.

i guess ill bring my laptop for my personnal diary but when ill want to go on the internet ill just go to a internet cafe i dont think its worth all the fuss for just 4 months but ill will go see how much it is in case i decide to move there for good

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
carina said:
There many reasons why you should look around for work, even in the beginning. The main reason in my opinion, is not the money, but the start of building a social network, of getting to know the culture and a bigger chance to meet good people, rather than those who don?t work. In Cabarete there are any freeloaders, that hang around and just wait to grab and live on people.
Wrong company, might destroy alots of your chances for work, a great adventure and a possible move.
Great advice!