Music Julio Iglesias' luggage seized after officials find stash of groceries at Punta Cana airport

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
About the berrys; ok, hard to get here but all the other stuff you can fnd everywhere.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I thought this was another case of a well known Spaniard who had things stolen from his luggage in Punta Cana. Last year, well known Spanish Youtuber "Jordi Wild" from The Wild Project travelled to Punta Cana for the first time (first time in the DR too.) It was one of his dreams to see Punta Cana and then this happened. I think some jewelry that belong to his mother was stolen at the airport.

Most likely Julio Iglesias has done that many times before, just this time he was caught and was dealing with an honest Dominican that can't be bribed.

Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
...at his own airport....:rolleyes:
He may own shares of the airport, but the people that inspect his luggage are stationed there but work for the respective ministry of the DR government. Same with migration officers many meet and get their passport stamped from, etc.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
We all do this but Julio took it to new level................

Yup !! but ...🤔🤔..Hmmm...curious ..

Mi suegro always brings his stash of groceries and such.... 🥃😬😁...from 🇧🇷 or 🇬🇧 ....and yes , he always gets stopped ...same airport........but never been " luggage seized"....🤔...maybe because he brings " them" 🛃🛃 a piece too...but tbh, they usually just help themselves to one or two bottles or things ..during the "search" ...and wave him on .

I'm guessing it's the "no product of animal or vegetable"..thing ...and maybe because Don Julio had "stash" so "huge" they couldn't ignore .

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I'm interested now, do dried nuts and fruits also not permitted...!?

Recently they ask me to open my luggage after going under x-ray on arrival, the guy specifically ask me if I have food, I usually just mumble something in Spanish and he let me through, but it's good to know what they are looking for...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I'm interested now, do dried nuts and fruits also not permitted...!?

Recently they ask me to open my luggage after going under x-ray on arrival, the guy specifically ask me if I have food, I usually just mumble something in Spanish and he let me through, but it's good to know what they are looking for...
I am also interested. I just bought 3 large bags of unsalted nuts with dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, etc..) to send in my sons' luggage. I am thinking though it is just "fresh food". Although, I would like to send some smaller snack cheeses I found (gouda, havarti, etc..) along with some Kefalotyri cheese. Now this I may need to rethink.

Reactions: Uzin

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I am also interested. I just bought 3 large bags of unsalted nuts with dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, etc..) to send in my sons' luggage. I am thinking though it is just "fresh food". Although, I would like to send some smaller snack cheeses I found (gouda, havarti, etc..) along with some Kefalotyri cheese. Now this I may need to rethink.

I'm not sure for DR but bringing dairy products are usually a no no in most countries, I remember many years ago they stopped my mum coming to UK, in fact a dog started smelling her suitcase and following her, they took some cheese she had..., plus a warning notice that next time, will be a fine of 5000 pounds...!

Most customs have a website with forbidden stuff, let's see if we can find the one for DR - if they have one...